Ebay horrors

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All your sharpening needs in one handydandy gadget:
z1.jpg

And what in the actual fudge happened here?!?!?!?
z3.jpg

Oh the huge manatee!
z2.jpg

Take it to some forensic scientist. I would be very curios to know what bits were left in that chip. Be prepared to some very thorough questioning afterwards.

You can fill that gap with a wee bit of super glue and you're good to go. Almost NOS. 😆
Isn't that what TF's look like coming off the production line? Fixed with a judicious/copious amounts of scale coloured resin filler.

Or how CM's balsa wood handles will look after a few washes.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay, it's not a horror, but it is ebay.
Please adore this "Japanese Kitchen Knife"

Japan 1.jpg

Yes, exactly.

s-l1600.jpg

I mean, maybe that is why Henckels calls it "International"?

Then again, it is on sale for 23€, which is a better investment than a lot of kitchen knives out there.

View attachment 300273

Yes, exactly.

View attachment 300272

Then again, it is on sale for 23€, which is a better investment than a lot of kitchen knives out there.
maybe they're referring to the wabi sabi of the handle

View attachment 300273

Yes, exactly.

View attachment 300272

My guess is the listing is legit.

Henckels/Zwilling has had a factory in Japan for a really long time, like many decades. Today most of that stuff is branded Zwilling or Miyabi. I can't say for sure that they manufactured that knife in Japan, but I have seen "Henckels International" stuff that was definitely manufactured in Japan. Like these steak knives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3951731191...uwApSeIS82&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They also could have bought OEM knives from a Japanese manufacturer and slapped their branding on it. That certainly looks like OEM Japanese stuff from the 1980s/1990s.

Henckels has used some weird logos in their history:
early logos2.jpg

The double twins (lower left in the above image) is now standard for their German-made blades and the man-with-halberd (directly above the doubletwins) is now standard for their 'International' line made in China, Spain and India). But I've seen triple twins (top left) once and recently I've noticed a single twin logo(1st column, 2nd row) more and more often, like the item posted above. This single twin logo seems to be on 1980s-ish era knives being sold mostly from Japan, and my speculation is that they were made there for that market specifically.

Only a bit cringey this one, not quite horrific:
seelbach3.jpg

Mostly because of the seller's item's description which reads: Nice patina, needs some restoration or love.
The "patina" description is just a bit of a stretch, as is the BIN price of $69 (+S&H), but I'm hard-pressed to call the condition of this steel as actual patina. Not to mention the state of the handle.
Now, this is a righteous K.C.Seelbach Solingen cleaver which looks to be in pretty good shape under all the dust and rust, and it most certainly could be rehabilitated.
Hopefully someone with a little more cash and time for repair can look after this one.

Only a bit cringey this one, not quite horrific:
View attachment 308639
Mostly because of the seller's item's description which reads: Nice patina, needs some restoration or love.
The "patina" description is just a bit of a stretch, as is the BIN price of $69 (+S&H), but I'm hard-pressed to call the condition of this steel as actual patina. Not to mention the state of the handle.
Now, this is a righteous K.C.Seelbach Solingen cleaver which looks to be in pretty good shape under all the dust and rust, and it most certainly could be rehabilitated.
Hopefully someone with a little more cash and time for repair can look after this one.

Almost BNIB if you had a box.

Just a warning: it's an European butcher's cleaver. Those are used to go through the bone when cutting a porc chop, after the meat has been cut with any ordinary knife. No real edge: the bevels meet at some 120 degrees. A sharp edge would cause splintering. So its use is very limited.

Just a warning: it's an European butcher's cleaver. Those are used to go through the bone when cutting a porc chop, after the meat has been cut with any ordinary knife. No real edge: the bevels meet at some 120 degrees. A sharp edge would cause splintering. So its use is very limited.

Yeah I have a whole drawer full of similar cleavers. Some restored, some not. And they never get used for anything. Not only do I not cut bones often but I don't have any cutting boards that could take the abuse. But they are fun to have around and interesting historical novelties.

Yeah I have a whole drawer full of similar cleavers. Some restored, some not. And they never get used for anything. Not only do I not cut bones often but I don't have any cutting boards that could take the abuse. But they are fun to have around and interesting historical novelties.
Perfectly fine, as long as no one is dreaming about turning it into a vegetables cleaver.

Back