ebay MAC bread knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the Tojiro, front & back, if that helps...

IMG_4763.jpgIMG_4773.jpgIMG_4765.jpg

don't worry dave - you'll get to see a MAC up close when I send mine for rehandling :razz: (if it ever comes in the mail ...)

It is different, just not in any way pointy..sorta the opposite. The mac doesnt have the inverted wave, tje scallops touvh each other directly. This might be better, might provide more grab. I want one to compare with, but domt have the cash!

As far as sharpening goes, the slackbelted convex backside on the tojiro will likely make sharpening a huge pain. flat back wouldnt be a great idea though, it already has a steering tendency. Good thing im only cutting sandwiches, and dont have to sharpen it yet!

It is different, just not in any way pointy..sorta the opposite. The mac doesnt have the inverted wave, tje scallops touvh each other directly. This might be better, might provide more grab.

Who writes for "cookingcache.com"? They claim that the tojiro ITK is better (which is totally fine to state if you believe it) - but because I don't know who it is that's doing the reviewing, I don't quite know whether the review means anything.

That's weird, it seems like all of the knives reviewed on cookingcache.com all link to CKTG

Who writes for "cookingcache.com"?

Is it a variety of people? For some reason, I thought I remember reading Mr. Broida's review of a Sugimoto suji on there a few years ago.

10-25-11breadknife.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

I've had a MAC for years. Works great for it's intended purpose.

Yeah, I wonder about cookingcache. The sight looks suspicious to me. I spot checked some of the 'articles' and one is just a review that is on Mark's site, and several of the articles appear to be written by forum members (KF and FoodieForums). And as Dave said, all links point to a certain place.

I'm sure Mark has something to do with the content on cookingcache. It also seems to be closely linked to this blog.

The formatting of the articles is off, but a lot of the content from this site as in cookingcache. Regardless, both cookingcache and that blog look like marketing fronts to establish content and push buyers to a site. And I don't buy the "team testing" that is claimed in the articles. If it were legit, there would be some explanation of who that team is.

k.

This has been an enlightening thread -- so much I didn't know about the history of sharing on the web, being a johnny-come-lately. I did, just because of google searches, find cookingcache knife reviews before I found forums... and I did notice that they were extremely (extremely) Tojiro-happy. Best bread knife, best paring knife, best best best... which I found supremely suspicious even coming at it will full naivete.

I obviously have no idea what the deal with Cookingcache is but there's lots of sites on the net like this that I know exist just to snag and direct you towards products. There's many companies that insert your content all over the web for a small fee too, they drop your content into sites just like this one, or what this one appears to be. This is similar to buying yourself more Facebook likes/fans, just more advertising hoopla.

I obviously have no idea what the deal with Cookingcache is but there's lots of sites on the net like this that I know exist just to snag and direct you towards products. There's many companies that insert your content all over the web for a small fee too, they drop your content into sites just like this one, or what this one appears to be. This is similar to buying yourself more Facebook likes/fans, just more advertising hoopla.

Kinda like the spammers we get who put links in their signatures to blogs that are solely about nail guns and where to buy them. I guess if you put out enough links, someone will be dumb enough to click through your site and buy something so you get commission on it.

Yeah exactly, it's cast a broad net and troll and eventually you'll catch that one fish that you need, although you disturb the life of many others in the process.

Thanks! I enjoy bread so much more since I started making my own.

The MAC is a reverse pattern to the Tojiro. If we could get someone to morph the 2 edge pictures into one we could show the difference. For now you can see that the Tojiro has a pointy part hanging low or protruding (like a standard serration tip - just rounder) while the MAC has a crescent shaped scallop hanging or protruding.
So my MAC bread knives just arrived - and indeed they are as dave describes (i.e. different than the tojiro). But now the REAL question remains: do I keep the 220 and sell the 270, or do I keep the 270 and sell the 220? The scallops are identical. There is a difference in that the 270 is far taller and has that curved/upswept blade. My knifeblock will only hold a 220 (so I'd have to get a cover for the 270 and stick it in a drawer if I kept it) ... but the 270 is the "ideal bread knife" from way-back-when. What would you do?

So my MAC bread knives just arrived - and indeed they are as dave describes (i.e. different than the tojiro). But now the REAL question remains: do I keep the 220 and sell the 270, or do I keep the 270 and sell the 220? The scallops are identical. There is a difference in that the 270 is far taller and has that curved/upswept blade. My knifeblock will only hold a 220 (so I'd have to get a cover for the 270 and stick it in a drawer if I kept it) ... but the 270 is the "ideal bread knife" from way-back-when. What would you do?

When in doubt, always keep the bigger one.

When in doubt, always keep the bigger one.

+1. I've always regretted buying a 210 gyuto. They have all been turned into beater's or gifts/family donations. Nice to have but not the right size.

So my MAC bread knives just arrived - and indeed they are as dave describes (i.e. different than the tojiro). .... [snip]

So what difference does this difference make? I've heard them described as reverse of each other (though I can't see that in the photos); also one having the "more aggressive" serrations (scallops)... is that true? If it's true, is that better? Worse? Better for some things worse for others? .... Irrelevant?

That is if anyone has actually cut with both. Or even has a well-thought out guess, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks for confirming this Terry. Oh and keep them both! :D

Keep the 270. You'll appreciate the length when slicing some 1kg boules or miches.

My MAC 270 arrived as well, its a pretty standard factory knife. Lots of rough grinds and the handle is just a couple of slabs of wood.

Cuts very nice, I am a fan of that blade shape on a slicer.

Back