ECG 2016 - Northern Virginia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Sunday in May works best for you?

• May 1 (Sunday)

• May 15 (Sunday)

• May 22 (Sunday)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Definitely come -- this is shaping up to be a really good event, with several well-known makers and maybe even one of Marko's new ginders. Food will be great as well. It's more of a hike for you then when the event was in PA, but it's not that bad of a trip overall. Heck, even if no one near you in NJ in coming, you can probably meet up with one or two of the PA guys and share a ride the rest of the way. Overnight accomodations can probably be offered as well.

Face it, an ECG is not an ECG without Rick!

Rick, you've got to come again, everything David said is right on. Only thing I can add is did you see the thread about Jon's passaround stone set? I'm hoping we have it at the ECG.

Last year we cooked up a few dry aged steaks, thought we should do the same this year, but earlier in the day;). I picked this prime NY Strip up at Costco on 4/15.:D

Depending on what food others are bringing I will also do some smoked ribs and/or pork shoulder.

WP_20160428_11_36_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20160428_11_35_56_Pro.jpg

I am starting a separate thread with a Roll Call for the ECG. That will help facilitate sending out the event address, etc. via PMs. So if you plan on attending, or even think there is a slim chance, please chime in on the new thread. Thanks!

Sorry - I just saw the general location... Nevermind

I ordered nice weather and I am thinking about driving down there leisurely on Saturday. Are there reasonable places to stay for a night close by? Any sights to see? Not sure, yet, but want to look into it.

Stefan

Stefan, as far as sights are concerned, there is a little place call Washington, DC close by :D Also, Mt. Vernon is just a few miles south on the George Washington Parkway if you're into old estates that belonged to dead presidents. There is a small Civil War-era park just a few blocks away from my house that is used primarily for picnics and exercise, but also has some small museum structures. And there are some scenic overlooks and a park along the northern part of the G-W Parkway. Ultimately it depends on how much time you will have to spend and whether or not you want it to be a place that is 'on the way' for you. If you come down 95 to the Beltway and head west on the Beltway you can exit onto the G-W Parkway once you cross over into Virginia. Oh, and Old Town Alexandria is just a mile to the east of me, so you can go knock around the old townhouses (mainly restaurant and stores) with all of the tourists.

As far as hotels go, I honestly have no good handle on things. I am going to PM you my address so you can check online. I know there are inexpensive places on Route 1 slightly to the south, but most are pretty shady.

Also, we're setting up a dinner for Saturday night, so maybe additional incentive to come down that day?

There is also Old Town Alexandria which is pretty cool. The Mt Vernon tour is pretty cool. 4D short movie that is well done, and there are lot's of exhibits. I personally like the fact that it is privately run and has never taken any government money. Down town there is the Air and Space and the Natural History which are popular.

Thanks guys, that sounds good. I want to avoid the city, too much hectic for a short bit of time, but Mt Vernon sounds like fun. Always interested in history, even if it is as young as that of the US ;) If I drive down on Saturday I definitely would want to be part of the dinner plans. Give me a few days to explore things.

Stefan

Thanks guys, that sounds good. I want to avoid the city, too much hectic for a short bit of time, but Mt Vernon sounds like fun. Always interested in history, even if it is as young as that of the US ;) If I drive down on Saturday I definitely would want to be part of the dinner plans. Give me a few days to explore things.

Stefan

Taking Metro downtown is certainly an option. Smithsonian museums are great, and free, as are the various monuments. It's cool just to walk along the National Mall, where many of the museums are located.
Weather is generally quite nice in May.

Stefan

I second a lot of the suggestions already put out there. I am a fan of Old Town Alexandria. If you trek into Downtown DC, the Metro is the way to go. Driving into DC and around the Beltway could be a nightmare depending on time of day and all of downtown DC isn't the nicest place. You could spend a whole day at National Space and Air museum if it's your thing. I am also a fan of of the Mint tours.

I should be able to attend. Sorry for the super late notice. Is there a side thread with the location / etc?

Giveaway! Earlier I promised I would go through my garage and find something as a fun giveaway. Sadly it's not knife related, but it is audio related which is another passion of mine. These speakers (I have the pair) are made by Bay Audio and are a very high quality 2 way speaker. The front baffle is machined aluminium with a 1 inch soft dome tweeter and 5 1/2 inch mid-range. I believe these sold for about 1,200 each at the time of their install which was around 2003. Here is a link to a newer version with fewer options. http://www.theperfectthird.com/product-p/ar60.htm

Bay Audio makes great speakers, or did, I pulled these out of a house in 2008 and was impressed by them. However the homeowner wanted an upgrade so we went with my favorite small speaker when we replaced them: http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/iw-gold6-minimonitor/ We will do a lottery and the lucky winner can take them home. I think they would also be excellent enclosed free standing speakers if you had a table-saw and some 3/4 inch MDF.

WP_20160509_19_25_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20160509_19_24_58_Pro.jpg

I sent out event info emails earlier tonight. If you are interested in attending the ECG and did not receive an email please PM me your email address. The count is now in the 40s!

Back