Eddworks 180 S Grind Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoshi

Shindo Maniac
Reaction score
After hearing all the positive praises about Ed's work, I messaged him for a S grind nakiri in S35VN (if Ed is crazy enough to offer it, I'm crazy enough to have one).

Here's a review after using it for a month.

20230912_114822.JPG

S Grind Nakiri
178x59mm
214g
S35VN
Black walnut wa handle

20230912_114811.JPG

It came with a leather saya which is very well made, perfect sizing. The inside does shed a little bit, but washes off very easily. The small tube of bee wax mineral oil is a nice little touch.

20230912_114908.JPG

20230912_115307.JPG

Nice smooth rounded choil and spine. Handle was well made with no gap at the tang. Honestly was not expecting these at this price point. I was already extremely impressed when I first took it out from the box.

Balance point is right at the maker's logo, so a hair in front of the pinch grip. Perhaps not as forward balanced as an average nakiri. But at 214g, I do find myself enjoying the nimbleness that the neutral balance offers.

20230912_115208.JPG

First look at the choil, I was concerned whether it'll wedge like mad. There's also no tapering at the spine, which made me worried about it's performance with tall hard veg.

20230912_115012.JPG

So my first cut with it was a large potato. Wow, no wedging at all. In fact it was dead quiet. Later on I did a head to head comparison with my 170 Shindo Nakiri, which is ubber thin at the edge. Eddy actually outcuts Shindo slightly.

Food release is good as expected for a s grind. Probably not as good as some of the Kipp hook grind video that I've seen. So small high water content veg will still stick, but a slight shake on the blade will get everything off.

The blade is nice and stiff. The lack of tapering on the spine actually makes it feel more sturdy on the board. The height might be a bit short for all you kkf-ers who are endowed with massive hands. But for my 7.5 glove size hand, the height is just perfect.

OOTB sharpness is about 7/10. Good enough to cut through printer paper quietly, but not with paper towel. Edge retention is good, to be expected from S35VN. So I've yet to put it to the stone yet. Will update this post later once I've sharpened it.

TLDR: insanely good quality for the price tag. Great performer with nice f&f. Ed is really nice to work with. Can't recommend his work more.

Last edited:
Of course this comes up now. Looks really nice, but I just bought a new car so need to put money that way for the moment.
Just join the line first, I think the wait time is likely more than 4 months now

I have a 190x60 S grind nakiri in 52100 by Ed and I second every word of this review. Took less than a week for a custom order when I got it 😂

Currently own 2 knives, tried the passaround one and jumped on his books for another custom but now the wait is about 3 months. Tempted to just buy another rack and make it just for Ed’s work lol

If you (or others) are unfamiliar with S35VN, it's a pretty nice powder-metallurgy steel and one specifically designed by knife people for knife people. Although not necessary, it is one of those steels that I find to be on the cusp of moving from synthetics to diamonds. Again, not necessary and synthetics will do the job just something to consider.

If you (or others) are unfamiliar with S35VN, it's a pretty nice powder-metallurgy steel and one specifically designed by knife people for knife people. Although not necessary, it is one of those steels that I find to be on the cusp of moving from synthetics to diamonds. Again, not necessary and synthetics will do the job just something to consider.
My custom order with him is in AEB-L but I’m really tempted to try out s35vn or apex ultra instead. I’d use it for work so I was leaning stainless but I’m not convinced anymore

Yeah my s35vn is definitely stainless, not the slightest bit of patina at all

Back