epoxy advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzoldtown

Reaction score
So I'm re-handling a knife, and I'd like to attach the scales without rivets or pins. I was thinking I would drill some shallow holes that correspond to the tang holes, and allow the hardened epoxy to act as a pin. should that work?

So I'm re-handling a knife, and I'd like to attach the scales without rivets or pins. I was thinking I would drill some shallow holes that correspond to the tang holes, and allow the hardened epoxy to act as a pin. should that work?
Remember that not all epoxies are created equal. If you plan on only doing this job once, stay away from fast-cure and products that may have been on a peg hook for years. I can wholeheartedly recommend Acraglass and G-Flex. West Systems makes some excellent stuff.

I've just about used up my first kit of G/Flex 650 and I can highly recommend it. It's so much better than other similar products you might pick up from a hardware store or similar. Epoxy choice does actually matter. The little kits of G/Flex actually go a really long way, too. Almost surprisingly so.

Your plan to use epoxy as hidden pins will absolutely work, but you can also do almost the exact same thing using something like carbon fiber pin stock to span that gap and it will have significantly higher shear strength than just epoxy alone. Think of it a bit like rebar. Still hidden, not terribly hard to do, but will greatly increase the overall strength of the handle construction. Prep the pin stock by cleaning it well with a strong solvent, and rough it up with around 80 grit sandpaper/emery. It will be just as strong as a normal pinned handle, but the pins will be hidden. Epoxy to seal and handle peel-strength, physical pins to deal with shear forces.

Another vote for G-flex. I have never had it fail, and I have used it for things that I expected it to.

While, I believe it should work without pins. I like the alignment aid the pins provide while clamping three items that like to shift around. Also, it provides a little extra peace of mind and it would only takes a few minutes to blind drill four (2 per scale) holes. Especially if the tang already has the holes drilled.

I would use the method Frosty outlined but use whatever pin stock I had in inventory. Heck you could use two cut nails they are going to be hidden.

Back