Etiquette question.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensbites

Reaction score
My wife and I were discussing this, I figured foodies and restaurant staff would have an option.

You go to a decent restaurant and order a glass of wine. If you don’t like the sip they give you, do you accept the glass, or stop them before they pour the serving? My wife takes it, then doesn’t drink it; I don’t like wine...

Thanks

you of course decline it if its not to your liking, thats why you try it before.

It's supposed to be tasting to make sure the wine has not gone bad. In general if you order a bottle you can't really return it once they open in simply because you do not like the taste. If it is 'corked', or possibly if it tastes a lot different then they told you to expect, then it should not be a problem having them take it back. Obviously nothing is ever cast in stone when it comes to restaurants, as there will be differences in the extents they will go to in order to have happy customers. But not many will want to 'eat' a $60-$100 bottle ordered by a customer because they decided they do not like the way it tastes.

And if the bottle is one they also sell by the glass, then they probably would not have an issue. But they could not present it as a bottle to another customer once it is already opened.

The key thing is the 'tasting' is not for "Ummm, yeah, I like this varietal!" -- it's for "Oh damn, the wine went bad!!!!!"

My question was in reference to ordering a glass of wine. We are lightweights.

yes, in that situation, definitely infermos response, just like a beer taster

I'm sure the restaurant would rather she have a glass she likes than to sit there with a dud. If she can describe why she doesn't like it and/or what she does like, would be a win win.

So, what if they just pour you a whole glass (without giving you a sip), and you say you don't want it?

I returned a cocktail recently, sort of felt bad about it, but it was awful. So spicy that you couldn't taste anything else (and I'm a hot sauce addict), with chile seeds floating everywhere in it that kept getting in my mouth when I took a sip. The waitress pointed it out as her favorite, too...

So, what if they just pour you a whole glass (without giving you a sip), and you say you don't want it?
Results will vary, most likely. But odds are if there is a legit reason for not liking it they would offer to replace it. If it was blindly picked, no questions asked, and was true to what one should expect for the chose variety/ wine region, then I personally think it is unreasonable to expect the restaurant to take it back (but that does not mean they wont). Best thing is to convey what characteristics you like prior to ordering, then you have a much better chance of expectations being met.

I returned a cocktail recently, sort of felt bad about it, but it was awful. So spicy that you couldn't taste anything else (and I'm a hot sauce addict), with chile seeds floating everywhere in it that kept getting in my mouth when I took a sip. The waitress pointed it out as her favorite, too...
I think that is reasonable, unless the cocktail menu stressed it was very spicy.

At lower to medium-grade restaurants, sometimes my wife will want a glass of white wine and I'm drinking something else, like a Margarita. In that kind of establishment, the waiter usually sets the glass down and walks away. It's take it or leave it, but I would call the waiter back if it was really bad.

In a higher-end restaurant (and I'm not talking Michelin stars here, just local), we order a bottle of wine for the two of us. When I'm offered a taste, the only way I'd reject it would be if it's carbonated (and not supposed to be), or really sour and off. I wouldn't reject it just because it wasn't exactly what I thought it was.

With a bottle, you are offered a sip so that you can check for two things:

1. It has not become oxygenated (tastes like wet cardboard) due to improper storage and an air leak at the cork.
2. It has not turned to vinegar (been infected with acetobacter prior to bottling). Acetobacter eats alcohol to produce vinegar, btw. Therefore, vinegar is essentially wine gone bad.

Any sommelier would have no question agreeing with you on either of those two defects. Other than being presented with a defective product, you order it and it gets opened then you've already made your purchase agreement.

Chances of getting a bottle of wine that is carbonated are pretty close to zero - that would effectively mean that they bottled it before it was actually finished fermenting. In reality, there is an aging in vats (which contain blowoff valves to release gas from any continuing fermentation) period after fermentation has stopped and before bottling. Normal wine bottles and corks won't withstand carbonation pressure, anyway.

With a bottle, you are offered a sip so that you can check for two things:

1. It has not become oxygenated (tastes like wet cardboard) due to improper storage and an air leak at the cork.
2. It has not turned to vinegar (been infected with acetobacter prior to bottling). Acetobacter eats alcohol to produce vinegar, btw. Therefore, vinegar is essentially wine gone bad.

Any sommelier would have no question agreeing with you on either of those two defects. Other than being presented with a defective product, you order it and it gets opened then you've already made your purchase agreement.

Chances of getting a bottle of wine that is carbonated are pretty close to zero - that would effectively mean that they bottled it before it was actually finished fermenting. In reality, there is an aging in vats (which contain blowoff valves to release gas from any continuing fermentation) period after fermentation has stopped and before bottling. Normal wine bottles and corks won't withstand carbonation pressure, anyway.

I’ve had a couple bottles of red that tasted slightly carbonated before. Not sure what else to say about it, but....

I’ve had a couple bottles of red that tasted slightly carbonated before. Not sure what else to say about it, but....

Yeah, that is wierd. I am a "pro" when it comes to drinking, let me tell you. I never throw away wine corks, been saving them for about 10 years now and the collection is big enough to fill up a large garbage bag. And I've not once encountered a bottle of still wine that had a bubble in it.

Not saying it's not possible, but any winery that made that basic of mistakes wouldn't stay in business long at all.

Yea, it’s not that there were bubbles that one could see, it’s just that it tasted sparkly on the tongue in a way that I’ve only ever associated with carbonated drinks. Not sure if that’s what @Paraffin was talking about or not.

Yes, Lambrusco is a sparkling wine, not a still.

That Federweisser might give you some stomach bloat :)

Still wines are degassed (carbonation removed) after they have reached terminal gravity and before they are stored for aging.

I bought a case of a nice, inexpensive portuguese wine. We had the wine at a paring held by one of the better restaurants here (IMHO- Orlando area). The owner sells the wines following one of those multi course multi wine tasting dinners.

I usually have difficulty buying something I like in less than a case particularly when the price is right. The first two bottles of the case I opened still had a little residual bubbling. The wine ended up being one of the best buys I have made. No further bubbling noted. Wish I could get another case or two.

I will just have to settle; sipping a nice Saint-Emilion Grand cru at present:)

Yea, it’s not that there were bubbles that one could see, it’s just that it tasted sparkly on the tongue in a way that I’ve only ever associated with carbonated drinks. Not sure if that’s what @Paraffin was talking about or not.

Yes, see eg...

Wine that lacks fruit, is raspy, too astringent, or has a paint-thinner taste is usually bad. It tastes fizzy, but it's not a sparkling wine. A still wine that is fizzy or effervescent has undergone a second fermentation after the bottling and shouldn't be enjoyed.

Reactions: ian
I use to work at a wine tasting shop. Roughly around 5% of all wine is corked. So if you think about it that’s a lot of corked wine going around. And chances of you getting one are possible but very low. In the event you get one you will probably know if the wine is corked by the taste as others have said above.

Now pouring by the glass restaurants are a hit and miss. Wine goes bad very quickly once opened and if not properly re-stored. Some will use pumps or argon gas to help keep the wine longer after opening. I’ve been to a few places where I get the glass and know this wine was opened around 3 days ago. Nasty old stale sour flavor. In this case I kindly ask them if this is an old bottle because of these reasons. Most often if it’s a decent place they will open a new bottle and serve that glass. If they use wine in their cooking they can still use that old bottle.

Personally at home I will never keep a bottle more than a day after opening. I don’t use a pump or gas and my wife and I generally finish the bottle that evening.

The fizzy taste I haven’t encountered in red wine besides in sparkling wine. But I do know what you are talking about. Lots of nihonshu sin Japan have this fizzy taste.

Last edited:
Not at all pertinent...just a story. My Grandmother made wine whenever she had any kind of berries and was pretty good at it. Once upon a time, about 60 years ago, my cousin and myself thought we would try our hand at making some and with our Grandmother's help we made a crock of blackberry wine. Against her advice, we bottled it a bit early and six of the ten bottles we made exploded from the pressure. Our Grandmother knew this might happen and made us put the wine on the basement floor rather than on the shelf. All that to say this...the bottles that didn't fail were the best sparkling wine ever. I tried to do it again using tougher bottles but it was way too sweet...throw it out sweet!

I think I know what you mean, and I wouldn't reject a bottle for that very slight background hint of sparkle, although it's not something I especially like.

I've had to send back a bottle once or twice only in many years, that was obviously tasting strongly of carbonation and was even visible in the glass. I don't remember exactly what type, but it was probably Sauvignon blanc from USA or New Zealand and not the most expensive on the list, since that's usually my wife's preference. Never experienced it in a red wine.

Reactions: ian
>What's the deal with still wines that taste "bubbly"?
If the sensation you’re experiencing is effervescence, it’s usually referred to as “spritz.” It’s not unusual for a winemaker to leave some spritz in a wine, or even add a bit of carbon dioxide at bottling to make sure it’s there. That carbon dioxide—in addition to leaving a little tingle on your tongue—gives a wine a bright and fresh character. Some styles of wine are known for it, both whites like Vinho Verde and light reds like Valpolicella.

Spritz can also be a mistake, the result of an unintentional, secondary fermentation that happened after bottling. If it’s a mistake, you’ll probably know it because it typically comes with a swampy odor and a hazy color. If you come across a spritzy wine, try vigorously swirling it in the glass, or let it warm up if it’s cold—sometimes that carbon dioxide will dissolve, or the sensation will dissipate or “blow off.”

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/whats-the-deal-with-still-wines-that-taste-bubbly-51293

Back