Ever fire someone and......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry a .380 in my chef pants pocket; a nine with a thirty round clip in my glove box and a carbine riffle in the trunk.

I've pissed off my share of employees....

Better watch those grill shifts. It'd suck if you cooked a round off instead of steak or what have you:/

We had a dishwasher break in and steal food out of the reachin (walking gets locked at night) a week after we gird him. Funny thing, we were all hanging out in the dining room have some drinks when it happened. We heard something, went to look, and caught him red handed. He knew he was guilty so he didn't run, just waited for the cops to show up

Just noticed this thread for the first time, and like some others above it has struck me too. The looking over shoulders, Mr Glockys, packing, permits to carry and so on, along with the anger as Candlejack first pointed out. I'd say it's not normal at all - well, or at least it shouldn't be normal if it is. If it is for some, it might be hard to get a perspective on it, but probably worth it - stepping back and looking at all from a different position. I don't know what you could do about it, but it's probably helpful to discuss, as people are doing here.

I'm not a pro - just worked in a couple kitchens as a student, and later for a few months - and so I've got limited experience. This was all in Canada, and while there were various personalities around, luckily there wasn't any anything extreme where I was, and guns were definitely not an issue, though I can only say that was in my experience. I'm curious about people's experiences in other countries too. I meet lots of Korean chefs and will have to ask them next time.

I don't understand the last two posts, but since this hasn't been bumped from too long ago....

Discerning defense from vengeful judgement is a simple matter.
Disgruntled people usually only transition from posturing ---> serious violence when they feel there is no hope, so convince them otherwise.

As someone who's had food, plates, and pans thrown at them...been threatened, punched, and seen the pointy end of a knife waved in a disconcerting way, I recommend that a cook acting erratically use the transition to a new job to regain their self respect, and be forced to cut back on the drinking. Rarely, if ever, have I seen a guy get out of control and worry for myself or the restaurant. Lets be honest the money lost from a lazy/sloppy cook will almost always be more than losses from one theft or fight.

A few years ago, one cook came in to eat ... maybe 10 drinks into his night, got cut off, got angry, and started swinging...he was fired. When I ran into him a few weeks later, I reminded him that I'd gladly put up with his attitude, his disdain for managers, his consistent 15 minutes late, and crazy loud singing in the kitchen and still always want to steal him from another restaurant, because he was a beast on line... but knowing his wife and boys I couldn't have him on as a drinker ... and in a smaller town he knew I told the same thing to a dozen other restaurants. Today we're both a little older, get home a little less drunk, and get paid more.

Setting aside the rare, saddening, serious mental conditions, most outbursts will be isolated to some sort of trauma eg. divorce, or the mark of someone too old to be drinking that heavy. I'm sure there are lots of other explanations, and not to sound like a HR douche, but first try to identify the issue, show some level of validation, and present the dismissal as a positive change. Because frankly, most guys in the industry know the salary cap for line cooks are low enough that parity isn't going to be perfect, but its manageable.

I think the last 2 posts are a troll. -not eshua obviously

Anger, guns and knives ... just seemed this thread was indicating some serious issues, so I don't think it's trolling if discussion leads on from there.

Anger, guns and knives ... just seemed this thread was indicating some serious issues, so I don't think it's trolling if discussion leads on from there.
No, there was a troll earlier this morning pimping some woodworking site. I wasn't speaking of any legitimate members.

And due to the exemplary performance of our mod team it never made it to my screen! Sometimes the fast response makes for puzzling posts!

Dang, I missed the trolls.

Back