Expensive Junk

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marko, Thanks that answered my questions.
Mike

Sure thing, though I don't do anything extra for polishing outside fine-sanding it (220, 320, 600, 1000, 1500) and then buffing with chromium oxide on 1800rpm buffer. I have had best results with real silver.

I think it is important to do some sanding on a granite plate. It helps to remove metal and wood at the same rate (as opposed to sanding on a padded surface), but on fine grits I do sand on a padded surface, as it gives a nicer finish and material removal is not an issue.

M

Man, I hate it when that happens. Sorry for your luck.

Thanks, It is not so much bad luck, as being too heavy handed with the drill press.

The more I look at that one, the more I like it. I think the spacers are so thin and close together, it really doesn't look wierd. It's like one fancy spacer.

I am also working on this one. What do you guy's think of the multi-piece space spacers, too busy?
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/mhenry5/IMG_0217.jpg

In general, I like it. In most cases I think even the nicest spacer can 'disappear' when it is between two very catchy pieces of wood. I think this is borderline in your handle but because it is a bit thicker overall, I am sure it will look great when finished.

Sorry about the palm piece. That stuff can be a bit brittle and rushing on the drill press is risky. Same thing happened to me recently. One customer asked me to make a handle in a very unusual design and he gave me the measures down to 1/16". When I finally had it rght, the ironwood ferrule cracked. I put on a new ferrule and resand it as carefully as possible without takingoff too much material. We'll see if I will get away with it...

Oh, and before I forget: really excellent work and great materials.

Stefan

That sucks Mike! It was looking really good. If you have a band saw, you can likely salvage the handle portion, shape a new ferrule with the spacer attached to it and bring this one back again.
The new handle combo looks amazing to me! A little Rader-esque...very nice :)

That multi piece handle is amazing! Can't wait to see it! I was unsure about using metal spacers, but it looks great!

That sucks Mike! It was looking really good. If you have a band saw, you can likely salvage the handle portion, shape a new ferrule with the spacer attached to it and bring this one back again.
The new handle combo looks amazing to me! A little Rader-esque...very nice :)

Ok Lefty, I was going to chunk this handle, until I read this. I thought I would give it a try, looks like it may have saved it! Thanks
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/mhenry5/IMG_0314.jpg

Awesome! It looks perfect from here.
I'm glad it worked out (and my suggestion saved you some materials!)

It's always fun working with expensive natural materials, I once had a pricey block of ironwood burl that just so happened to have a HUGE void in it that went from about 1/8 of an inch under the surface than ran about an inch down the block. Of course, I didn't discover it until I had profiled the handle.

It's always fun working with expensive natural materials, I once had a pricey block of ironwood burl that just so happened to have a HUGE void in it that went from about 1/8 of an inch under the surface than ran about an inch down the block. Of course, I didn't discover it until I had profiled the handle.

:nutskick:

Back