Favorite Gyuto profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac Pro 240 for me is hard to beat.

Xerxes Gyuto series, maybe because i developed it with him........:O

Greets Sebastian.

I still have a fondness for the profile of the Mac Ultimate SBK-105. If someone made a knife with that profile but with a better grind and hard hard steel, I would buy it up in an instant.

Kato 210 workhorse is also great but quite different from the 240, which has more belly.

Shig, but I wish it would be a tad taller.

What do you like about it?

Combination of weight and grind. The blade is heavy enough to be a true workhorse but the tip of mine is thin enough for more delicate things such as garlic and shallots. Food release is also quite good as you'd expect with a thicker blade. Basically it feels like a strong blade in my hands and has never let me down, even though she isbstupidly reactive and looks like a 1940's wustof that was found under a decrepyt truck.

Robert Herder 1922, strongly influenced by the Sabatier model. Tip much lower than with modern Germans and even new French, which suits me as I happen to be rather short. Nice even curvature, as a Misono. Slightly more belly.

Masamoto KS is still my fav, I highly regret selling my left handed d handle one a while back....curse my insatiable desire to try new knives.

Also, that Herder looks good, like it, might have to check one out because I enjoy the Misono shape a good deal on the Swedish line.

This...
20131121_160142n_zps96bd9611.jpg

Not sexy pick but - TKC (240mm) . Been going hard with my old one recently for general all around, one gyuto multitask kitchen dirty work and it rips. Nice thin tip for detail, flat spot for for push/pull cut, bit of belly for rocking when needed (I call ******** on those that believe you should never rock chop), not bad on portioning or slicing either.

Not sexy pick but - TKC (240mm) . Been going hard with my old one recently for general all around, one gyuto multitask kitchen dirty work and it rips. Nice thin tip for detail, flat spot for for push/pull cut, bit of belly for rocking when needed (I call ******** on those that believe you should never rock chop), not bad on portioning or slicing either.

Ichimonji?

Probably a tie between Saji R2 and yoshikane kurouchi damascus. Slightly curvy when I want it to be

I haven't tried nowhere as many gyutos as most of the pleople around here, but I own a masamoto vg and a tsukiji carbon, only handled a ks for a couple of minutes, and all masamotos had a profile i really liked. They were all 240s.

240mm. Kato damascus I love the profile and weight is work together on hand.

Latest posts

Back