Favorite sides with Steak?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for your favorite recipes for sides with steak. Doing a ribeye and a filet. Thinking one potato based side and one veggie based. Grateful for any suggestions!

Roasted (rather than baked) potatoes are great, and are healthier and (IMO) taste better than French fries. I also always appreciate a fresh salad (mostly greens, with some bits and pieces thrown in) to go with a steak. The acidity from the dressing and the crispiness of the salad make for a nice contrast to the texture and mouthfeel of a steak.
1688878988899.jpeg

Last edited:
Asparagus - peeled (I like the Brillo pad method), blanched, and maybe finished on the grill with some fresh lemon. Seriously a favorite of mine if done well and it doesn’t take much. Pretty sure it’s still in season.

Potatoes - fondant gets my vote if you’re not up for the classic roasted, mashed, or fried :).

Give sun chokes a whirl if you can find them. See if anyone at the table notices they aren’t potatoes. Fun to mix it up.

I think the best is roasted root vegetables: beets, garlic, onion, turnip. Pick 4 or so root veg, but the color of beets it essential. Roast in oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Brussel sprouts roasted the same way with olive oil, salt, pepper.

Asparagus: grilled, roasted, or fried in butter.

The one vegetable to avoid - potato. You can do better.

What if I really like roast potato? ;)

I agree with all your other recommendations. All these suggestions are interesting and tasty. Roasted celeriac is another one that's worth giving a shot, as are chestnuts.
I’d do mashed celeriac over potatoes any day.

I also like green beans or broccoli with butter. A green veg is essential in my opinion. Or two.

Not very original but IMO nothing beats good roast potatoes. But they have to be really good. Think garlic/rosemary/thyme infused olive oil and duck fat...and actual good flavorsome potatoes. Then add a creambased sauce (like a pepper sauce, mushroom sauce, or combination thereof) and no fancy pants hipster crap can beat that.
Mushrooms go really well with red meat as well, not just as a sauce condiment. Can also do someting with caremellized onions. I second the brussels sprouts recommendation. Add a bit of bacon, some parmiggiano and some herbs like rosemary and they're awesome.
Roasted carrots and parsnips also works well.

My first thought is mushrooms. So are my second and third thoughts. The combination of steak and mushrooms sautéed in butter to just the right texture is a magical synergy for my taste. Just the plain ordinary white mushrooms are all you need.

I like crispy roasted Brussels or do a sauted kale w/ garlic and hit it with a splash of balsamic vinegar right before you turn off the heat to give a little acidity and sweetness to the kale. I like those earthy, minerally vegetables with steak.

Also a big fan of roasted sweet potato cubes. Get them good and crispy with s&p/herbs de Provence

more steak was my initial thought but i forgot the typical US Menu...'do you want a 33 ounce steak sir".... I agree with Jovida and Lars on this one so it'll be Beairnaise and pepper/cream sauce with taters in flavored duck fat...and a bottle of a robust Vacqueyras, followed by a nap or two

Team @Michi all the way.
Hard to beat a good roast potato that's crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Simple, or with whole roasted garlic or whole roasted shallots or rosemary or thyme or pimenton or etc.
A simple salad with a bright, tart dressing (good vinegar, lemon, and olive oil) to cut some of the fattiness/richness of the steak.

Pan roasted baby gold or fingerling potatoes (use a lid, oil+butter, and plenty salt)

Roasted broccolini

An easy side combo is mixed rabe and potatoes roasted at 425-450 in a half sheet pan.

And of course sautéed wild mushrooms like hen of the woods is always good.

Surprised no one has said parmentier potatoes yet. If you blanche them in boiling water with a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda until the outsides start to get slightly roughed up, drain, and mix into an oven dish with preheated oil you end up with something halfway between a roast potato and really crispy French fry. Obviously roast with your herbs of choice and whole garlic cloves.

Most suggestions here have been very western. I would try serving over a bowl of good Japanese sushi rice with the steak juices poured over the top (deglaze the pan with some soy sauce), pan fried assorted Asian mushrooms, shredded spring onion, and some pickled daikon/lotus root to provide some acid cutting through all the richness.

Well I think in this case you get:
Potatoes ~ rice
Dark greens —> bitter
Red wine —> acidity
And mushrooms are mushrooms

Whole milk is surprisingly good with steak too

roasted potatoes - always a winner and better than fries or baked IMO but I'm a fan of them all.
garlic mashed potatoes - love them with a good ribeye
sauteed onions and/or mushrooms - yes
aparagus always seems good with a steak
I also love a pile of spinach w/ butter with a steak - a childhood favorite of mine that I rarely see in a restaurant for some reason unknown to me. Maybe the same reason I haven't seen it listed here already?

roasted potatoes - always a winner and better than fries or baked IMO but I'm a fan of them all.
garlic mashed potatoes - love them with a good ribeye
sauteed onions and/or mushrooms - yes
aparagus always seems good with a steak
I also love a pile of spinach w/ butter with a steak - a childhood favorite of mine that I rarely see in a restaurant for some reason unknown to me. Maybe the same reason I haven't seen it listed here already?
Some form of potato and spinach is my standard choice - the sheer volume of spinach that goes into the pan is good for deluding yourself that it’s actually a healthy meal 😅

Back