• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Traded Mert Tansu Spicy White Full Polish Sanmai 235mm x 58mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Update:

I can’t justify lowering this virtually new Mert Tansu more. I also want to stick to my one knife per maker rule here. Not going to withdraw, but I am going to start using this knife. I will discount this knife over time based on my usage. If you are interested in buying this knife, please reach out to check the current condition and price.

———————————————————

This is from Mert's February newsletter. Just received the knife. Only had it for a day and used for some test cuts; it developed very minor patina given the full polish.

Great knife. Same as all Mert's high end stuff, top tier FF. Super nice and comfortable handle. The etched cladding looks sick in person under good lighting, but hard to show in pictures. Good taper - thick out of the handle with thin tip as you can see in Mert’s specs sheet below. I really like this profile too. It has more weight and authority than lasers like T x K. If you feel a 180g laser is too delicate and a 280g WH is too heavy, give this all rounder a try.

It was supposed to be a laser, but I would probably call it more of a mid weight knife based on my standard. Guess this is the problem when you use terms like laser, workhorse, etc.

I generally prefer mid-weight, but I have too many mid-weight knives at the moment. Therefore, I'm going to release it.

A soft Mert Tansu branded carrying case is included.

Asking $775 $750 $725 $700 including G&S fee and CONUS shipping. Will cover the first $15 for outside of CONUS.

1709073454213.png

1709073496485.png

1709073525857.png

Last edited:
Keep in mind it’s 10mm taller at same length Sakai san Mai’s I have handled with a heavier handle material
I don't disagree at all. My statement is not meant to be negative in any way. This is a good knife! I did want to highlight to potential buyers terms like laser, mid-weight and workhorse are not scientific terms and can have some overlap. I should have been more specific about my point. In my non-scientific opinion, this one probably falls in between. It is one of those heavier laser / lighter mid-weight knives. With the heavier handle, it feels more like a mid-weight overall. I love the heavier and more substantial wa handle myself. The overall feel from the knife reminds me of my Devin Thomas knives which I also love.

Pretty tempting to just keep this one, but I do need to fund some other knives.

Will ship a few knives out tomorrow. Hope to make only one post office run this week.

Really didn't want to drop more on this virtually BNIB awesome knife, but let's lower another $25 to $725 and see what happens.

This is really a good deal now. If it doesn't sell at this price quickly, I will withdraw.

Can I ask what “a few layers of spicy white” means? Like the cladding looks interesting as if there are multiple levels to it. Is the core multiple layers of 26c3 like a damasteel?

Like this line here looks more like a lamination than a stray scratch

IMG_1837.jpeg

Can I ask what “a few layers of spicy white” means? Like the cladding looks interesting as if there are multiple levels to it. Is the core multiple layers of 26c3 like a damasteel?

Like this line here looks more like a lamination than a stray scratch
You are exactly right. Per Mert, he forge welded 4-5 layers of 26c3 to make the core steel. you can see the layer a little bit around the exposed edge. See below.

1711067515545.png

I'm not sure what to think about the perception of Mert's knives. He seems to get a lot of respect around these parts, but then this beauty just sits here for weeks. I guess he's still solidly in the "underrated" category?

Not trying to derail the thread, just to say GLWS. I'd be sweating this one a lot if I hadn't snagged a gyuto from his January newsletter. Mine is just as good as I'd hoped and I'm sure whoever ends up with this one will be quite happy.

I'm not sure what to think about the perception of Mert's knives. He seems to get a lot of respect around these parts, but then this beauty just sits here for weeks. I guess he's still solidly in the "underrated" category?

Not trying to derail the thread, just to say GLWS. I'd be sweating this one a lot if I hadn't snagged a gyuto from his January newsletter. Mine is just as good as I'd hoped and I'm sure whoever ends up with this one will be quite happy.
Market is just tough right now in general, tons of people love Mert's stuff. I loved mine...

I can’t justify lowering this virtually new Mert Tansu more. I also want to stick to my one knife per maker rule here. Not going to withdraw, but I am going to start using this knife. I will discount this knife over time based on my usage. If you are interested in buying this knife, please reach out to check the current condition and price.

Back