Finding a Togashi knife in Tokyo/Sakai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koon2023

Reaction score
Hi I posted a while back about going to Japan and the trip is coming up next week! That being said, I've looked around a little and I would like to try and find a Togashi knife while I'm there. Does anyone know of any stores that might have some in stock? Also as a bonus one of my friends is interested in getting a stainless clad 210 gyuto under ~30000 JPY but wants one from a small maker (so no tsunehisa, tadafusa, etc.). Any recommendations to give him? Thanks in advance!

Hi so my friend decided he wants a kurouchi knife so I want to find him a Kyohei Shindo or a Shiro Kamo. Is there a store in Kappabashi that sells either of those makers?

Thanks

Hi so my friend decided he wants a kurouchi knife so I want to find him a Kyohei Shindo or a Shiro Kamo. Is there a store in Kappabashi that sells either of those makers?

Thanks
I’d honestly just look for a good one at Tsubaya, Kamata or other shops, find specific makers in Japanese store is not easy

If you're going to Sakai (or Osaka, Sakai is a 30-40 minute train ride from central Osaka), check out the Traditional Arts Museum. It's MUCH cheaper than other knife stores in Japan and has really good selection. You can also take a walk around the area. I walked into the following areas that are within a 15 minute walk of each other in Sakai: Konosuke, Takada no Hamono and Ashi Hamono. They sell way below what you would usually pay. The sharpener at Takada no Hamono showed me 4 blades they had for sale, and I googled them afterwards and they were being sold at about 50% of the online price (and of course sold out online anyway).

I would have bought one but I decided I'm going to just make my own knives instead 😂

Back