First J Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, that's a good way to decide.
But no need to flip a coin, I will go with the Hiromoto AS and the 1000/6000 JCK Stone (Unless the 1000/4000 King is more appropriate for the job).

I was just curious as to what mhlee meant when he said thinner blade.
When I started reading up I was looking for a Laser blade but I didn't see any in my budget.

Last few questions and before the thread can be closed:
That Sharpie marker, is it something special or can I buy any wide permanent marker? (they don't sell that one in Israel, only the Fine Tip ones and ordering the magnum from the US is over $10 for one! )
The 1000/4000 JCK When Stone comes with a stand or should I buy one (wasn't stated in the site and I saw that the King one comes with it)?

Somehow I knew you would choose Hiromoto. :)

You should have told me 4 pages ago! hahaha just kidding.

Done deal, I ordered the Hiromoto AS & a King 1000/6000. Now only thing left is the huge anticipation to start using it!

Thanks to all you guys, and I'll be lurking around till I have anything good to add to a thread. :doublethumbsup:

Great choice...enjoy the factory edge then use the stones when you feel it's time to push it further.

congrats... :)

keep us updated, and post some pictures when you get it.
i would also like to know if there was anything special as far as shipping and customs fees.
(hunting for my second knife these days....)

Great choice...enjoy the factory edge then use the stones when you feel it's time to push it further.

Thanks man! Can't wait for it.

keep us updated, and post some pictures when you get it.
i would also like to know if there was anything special as far as shipping and customs fees.
(hunting for my second knife these days....)

Of course! Start the timer, I'll give you a buzz once it's here.

Hi again!
I know a few have been waiting and I my self have been waiting like crazy for it to get here!
It took 7 days to get to the post office (and two more days for me to be able to pick it up), which is very first for Japan-Israel, and there was no taxes or anything.
I just opened it and I'm so happy with the knife I can't wait to get home and cool something!
No point in saying much about the OOTB edge since I never seen another Japanese knife, but compaired to the knives I had before - it's crazy sharp!!! Already took out a bit of skin by mistake lol.
The knife itself is beautiful, no visual scratches, nothing that needs to be sand paper off (at least not from first impression).
What more can I say? Pics soon!

Pic time!

IMG_4194_zpsb8b8984e.jpg

IMG_4195_zpsd68d46bf.jpg

IMG_4196_zpsc5825266.jpg

IMG_4197_zps2b478c03.jpg

IMG_4198_zps6560db9b.jpg

And of course - Thank you very much for all your help!

Price performance you can't beat an inexpensive japanese knife compared to the european makers. If the knife does most of the tasks you require without a fuss leave it alone. If you want a bit more cutting performance, utilize a 500 grit stone and thin the upper shoulders right before the cutting edge...even ever so slightly will make it feel more razor like.

Basicly you mean changing the tip from 3 to 2?
160px-Ground_blade_shapes.png

My friend has a 200 King stone that I might be able to borrow. would it be ok? if not, what 400 stone is recommended?
And what should I do? sharp it in an angle of around 5-10 Degrees? (is this what you mean - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twP_05UEHIM )

I'm asking all that so I could learn and put goals for myself, but for now, it's so sharp that I rather give myself a few weeks of practice just so I won't cut myself bad.

When easing the shoulders I would rather say changing from 2 to 6. The very edge should remain unchanged. Try at the lowest angle you're comfortable with, verify the scratch pattern and go until you've reached the edge. You will have to touch up the edge after this.

Not much for diagrams, the convex # 6 is a good cutting edge. Barac you got a nice blade with the Hiromoto AS. On Jons knife sharpening playlist the first 10 videos I think cover double bevel knives. He also covers carbons which is your core steel.

That AS steel will get very sharp even on a 1K stone. My Hiromoto thinning bevel spine is close to the stone maybe 5 degree the final bevel(also called secondary,micro other names) I go spine height between 10 & 15 degree. That creates a small blended bevel that is convex instead of V grind & glides thru food.

I must add with the Hiromotos you won't have too much shoulders to easen. As far as I remember from recent ones they come with very thin edges.

Thanks for the comments!

I will be watching Jon's vid's for sure, but as far as I recall they don't talk about sharpening from 2 to 6.
So... If I'm sharpening from #2 to #6, when I'm sharpening, should my degree change in order to create that round tip?

Keith isn't the way you sharpen #5?

And to top it all, yea, I love this knife, I know I didn't use it much but it feels good in my hand (Though still a bit afraid of leaving some of my fingers inside what I make haha).

I suggest not creating the rounded tip; just cut the shoulders down a bit and blend the bevel into the blade face.

Ok so I'll take it towards #5 cause it looks easier for first times of sharpening to not try and round the tip.

Thanks!

Don't worry about geometry, angles or asymmetry proportions unless you want to change the existing configuration. Start sharpening somewhere behind the edge at a very low angle, raise the spine little by little, verify your progress by checking the scratch pattern, go on until you raise a burr, repeat on the other side.

Thanks for the comments!

I will be watching Jon's vid's for sure, but as far as I recall they don't talk about sharpening from 2 to 6.
So... If I'm sharpening from #2 to #6, when I'm sharpening, should my degree change in order to create that round tip?

Keith isn't the way you sharpen #5?

And to top it all, yea, I love this knife, I know I didn't use it much but it feels good in my hand (Though still a bit afraid of leaving some of my fingers inside what I make haha).

Actually I never measure my angles my bevels depend on what I am cutting. For most cutting fruits, vegs, meat without bone etc. Thinning bevel is spine very close to the stone, final bevel just raise the spine.

Back