First knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West164

Reaction score
This is far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. I want to thank this forum for answering my questions, even the ones where it was obvious I had no idea what I was doing! This truly is a great community, and that's tough to find these days on the internet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230507_161706.jpg
    IMG_20230507_161706.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230507_161655.jpg
    IMG_20230507_161655.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Really marvelous work! Love the profile, handle is first rate. Tell us a little more about it, steel, dimensions, how the process went?
I wanted to make it as simple as possible so I chose A2 (we deal with A2 at work and got it heat treated at work). Tested at 62 Rockwell. Started with .100" stock and drew the profile up in Solidworks. Blade length is 210mm. I don't have a belt sander yet so I built a jig to file my grinds. This took forever, I'm definitely using a belt sander from now on. I got it a bit too thin before heat treat and had a little warp. I couldn't fit clamps in the small oven at work so I re-tempered while clamped at my oven at home and got most of the warp out.

I do a lot of woodworking in my free time so the handle wasn't an issue, aside from trying to use an aquafortis finish. When I used a heat gun to heat it up, the epoxy came loose and I couldn't get the two pieces back together and started over. Next up is a matching santoku!

Back