First Re-Handle job

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koop

Reaction score
One of my first Japanese kitchen knives is a JCK Blue Moon sujihiki - a Sanjo sourced blade from an un-named maker. The original handle was perfectly serviceable, but the oval shape and the rough finish of the chestnut handle begged for an upgrade.
0113JCKblsjhk1.jpg

Tokushu has a sale on selected hardwood handles, made in the USA. I couldn't pass it up. I had a few hassles with the project. First the USPS let it sit - one week to travel from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Memphis, Tennessee. I figure they must have walked it there. Then it was on it's way to Arizona.

Of course removing the old handle wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. I tried to knock it off with a length of hardwood and a hammer. No go. Then I tried boiling water to heat the handle. Nope. Then I broke out a chisel and split the old handle. The plastic ferrule was surprisingly tough. I found hot melt glue inside.

I spent about an hour fiddling with needle files to get the fitment right, then filled the slot in the handle with hot melt glue shavings. Heating the tang and installing the blade was a piece of cake. I topped it off with a layer of silicon sealant.
041724sujiebnypadauk2.jpg

The new handle is hexagonal ebony with a padauk ferrule. I'm guessing it's Ceylon ebony from the sap wood on the upper half. Job done!

In process photo. This is a nice blade, I love slicing with it. Note the ebony isn't all dark, it has sap wood.
041724sujiebnypadauk3.jpg

Back