First single bevel has arrived...any advice/recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious if this was a 1-bevel koba or 2. If a 1, is the micro-bev on the front side or back of the knife? (From what I know, Mr Broida puts micro single-bevs when he sharpens double-bevelled knives and I suppose he would do the same in this case.

what do you mean by this? I think you're asking if i microbeveled one side or both.... if so, i only did the bevel side. Debas are the only exception i can think of off the top of my head here.

I believe this is a recommendation I got from KKF: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1561581259/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Z, Sounds like a great road trip. When you get to I-75 turn right and go about 14 hours, then blow the horn.:cool2:

I think the book recommended on the subj is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568364903/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Was available from Korin as well.

In it the three original(?) Japanese knives, usuba, yanagiba and deba, are detailed. The book you cited is more suited for tool sharpening.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DaveB! I also just remembered your materials on Google Docs..need to re-check those.

the book I noted was for Patatas Bravas...he mentioned wanted info on sharpening that was written in english.

.. I remembered that I had some green onions in the crisper that were starting to go soft, so I gave it a go...following the video from JapaneseKnifeSociety as closely as I could. Definitely improved as I worked my way from left-to-right. Here is a shot of the final rounds...not awful...After being shocked at the performance of my Masamoto, then my SIH, I really didn't think that could happen again...but it did.

Nice! Now I'll really have to hurry with my own usuba...

I'm curious if this was a 1-bevel koba or 2. If a 1, is the micro-bev on the front side or back of the knife? (From what I know, Mr Broida puts micro single-bevs when he sharpens double-bevelled knives and I suppose he would do the same in this case.
what do you mean by this? I think you're asking if i microbeveled one side or both.... if so, i only did the bevel side. Debas are the only exception i can think of off the top of my head here.

Trying to write quickly with a baby on lap.

Translation: I know that you usually add micro-bevs when you sharpen, and I think you just add a single micro-bev, not a double. If so, I was wondering what side of the usuba you might have put the micro-bev on, but you've answered that. And yes, I was curious because I've seen how a single micro-bev is put on the back of a deba.

What does "cutting potato skins" mean? peeling? that doesn't seem right. Maybe like the appetizer?
yep cut long ways in quarters, then cut the center out. I have been using the fuguhiki to learn more controll.

Back