First, they came for our stovetops…

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well folks, the robotic revolution is upon us.

The terminators are (clumsily) coming for our kitchens. At a low, low price of just north of $300,000 you too, could purchase an entire kitchen replacement robot that turns you into a human slave sous chef while it takes on the the worst job of cooking, the actual cooking.

Really, the price of a second home and what is likely a frankly staggering and exclusive maintenance plan is a bargain to be allowed to use our knives more frequently.

https://www.moley.com/moley-kitchen/Paella requires smoked sausage

So.... just replaces the line cook. Still need a prep cook? 🤔
Jokes aside, if you can replace even just a single employee with an expensive machine that's an investment that'll always pay off in just a few years, even with severely underpaid labor. If there are ways to make prep more efficient without reducing quality I'm all for it; at the end of the day it means cost can come down.
Remember people talking about killer bots replacing soldiers? Turns out human are still cheaper
Humans are not cheaper... the main problems holding back widespread de-humanization of war are ethical (there's a reluctancy to take humans out of the loop entirely, so almost all drone stuff is remote control, not 100% autonomous), concerns over electronic warfare (jamming / interference / hacking), and on the ground level, problems with having them actually work in terrain (especially when it becomes a war-torn mess).
But unmanned systems are definitly on the rise.

Jokes aside, if you can replace even just a single employee with an expensive machine that's an investment that'll always pay off in just a few years, even with severely underpaid labor. If there are ways to make prep more efficient without reducing quality I'm all for it; at the end of the day it means cost can come down.

Humans are not cheaper... the main problems holding back widespread de-humanization of war are ethical (there's a reluctancy to take humans out of the loop entirely, so almost all drone stuff is remote control, not 100% autonomous), concerns over electronic warfare (jamming / interference / hacking), and on the ground level, problems with having them actually work in terrain (especially when it becomes a war-torn mess).
But unmanned systems are definitly on the rise.

If I recall, McDonald’s was testing out kitchen robots in a few locations a few years ago. I guess maybe they expanded it since it seems they made an entirely robotic restaurant . I think franchises are gonna be the ultimate target for this tech; they have most ingredients prepped at a factory, recipes are standardized and most substitutions are easy to do. If they can build them to prep ingredients I can see them being used in larger establishments that may get lower traffic but need to be open at strange hours like hotel restaurants, or chains like Golden Corral where they need to churn out huge amounts of simple dishes.

I can’t imagine the price ever dropping enough for a mom and pop place to replace the two guys keeping the kitchen running, just because it’d have to be a pretty complicated machine if a place can program its custom recipes in.

We could absolutely switch a large amount of our tech to semi-automated systems. We already have systems that do that for antiaircraft purposes, and we could do something similar for perimeter defense using IFF tags for infantry, developing a reliable passive infantry tag is a current area of interest for the military. I believe the Koreans have developed a fully automated turret for the DMZ, designed for warning shots currently though

I mean we had a fully auto laptop gun years ago that worked even when it was Perfectly Dark….

I see this stuff working especially well for companies like Dunkin’ where they ship their donuts and other “food” in from China, and their coffee-ish drinks just need to be blended (or mixed with cigarette butts).

Back