Media Fish n Poi - The Original Rehandle King

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1177999208-IMG_4373_1_1.JPG

1177999220-IMG_4361_1_1.JPG

1177999245-IMG_4362_1_1.JPG

I tell you...after going through all these pictures again Fish has inspired me all over again to be more creative. Thanks Fish!

Wow!!!
Thanks for putting all of that right here for us to see!
His work was absolutely incredible!
I found myself going, "That's my favourite...no, this one is my favourite. Wait, this one is amazing"!
The handle that made me a Misono fan is in here too!
I feel like I was looking through an album of everybody's pride and joy...pretty awesome stuff!

And I'm pretty sure that this isn't all of it, I don't think he took pictures of every knife he worked on.

Wow, I had never looked through that gallery before. That is some seriously beautiful work. Looks like he was quite a talented guy -- an artist, a craftsman and a great photographer. I'm sorry I found that other board after he was already gone.

Fish and Andy were the two pioneers.

I know Fish was an inspiration to all who have rehandled their knives.

Stefan, Marko, Dave have continued the tradition well, and we are the beneficiaries.

Mario's stuff is amazing too.

Fish facts>

Raised in Detroit, right across the street from HockeyTown USA. Was friendly with the Howe boys who used to hang out while their Dad was on the ice.

Multiple tours in Vietnam. Although I know he fought I don't know if he was a Soldier, Marine, or Seal.

Settled in HI after the war. Went to barbering school.

Ran his own construction business, I believed he specialized with interior work (koa).

Made koa boxes/chests, desk items, etc for sale.

Harley rider

Golf nut

Cooking Enthusiast

Good friends with a major Hollywood actor, I forget his name though.

Married with (I believe) 3 children. 2 girls and 1 boy. The son (nicknamed "Poi") was killed by a car at a young age (13?). The "Poi" in "Fish n Poi" is from his son's nickname, when they were seen together people would say, "Here comes Fish n Poi".

Knifenut turned handlemakingnut. I believed he did the bulk of his knife work in 2006/2007.

Well I've owned 8 Fish handled knives and still have 6. 4 are cleavers the rest knives. Now one cleaver I sold as I bought it off the original owner and the other is the last handle made by Fish that David Smith (Boardsmith) now has which is a Watanabe Nakiri with a saya shown here near the end.

That is the one I have. Joe told me it was a Fish handle and now I know for sure!

Thanks Fish! I will take good care of it.

I might add this was the last handle he ever made as well, David.

Back