Flattening a 120 grit shapstone whetstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andygraybeal

Reaction score
Hey,
I got 120, 220, 320 grit Shaptone whetstones. What should I use to flatten it? I've worn out my very expensive (big mistake, shouldn't have bought, too expensive) Shapton glass stone lapper on it.

Is the Atoma 140 going to be okay?

Thank you,
Andy

Atoma 140 is fine. DMT XXC is cheaper, little more difficult to use but does a fine job for less $

Why do you have so many low grit stones?

You could always lay down some low grit sandpaper on a piece of granite? But really, why do you have so many stones in that range? I can use a beston 500 or gesshin 400 to remove the scratches from my atoma 140 easily. No need for anything in between. Unless there's something I don't know about shaptons?

That's a lot of dishing - how many knives are you sharpening?

Eh, I guess i went crazy on the low grit stones a while back. I never admit to know what i'm doing :)

But yes, using Atoma / DMT XXC in place of the low grit stones makes the best of sense.

Since you have 3 of these troublesome stones, have you thought about flattening them against each other? Work the 120 and 220 together a bit (not completely, just a bit), then the 220 and 320, then the 120 and 320, and repeat until all 3 are flat. Flattening 3 stones against each other in this way (mathematically at least) will leave all 3 dead flat.

Using anything but a sidewalk or a cinder block is ridiculous, IMO. Get 90% of the work done that way. Then rub the stones together, if you really want to. You don't need super flat stones for very coarse work.

i've definitely used the sidewalk before on a red brick, hahahaha you get weird looks but it does work, albiet takes FOREVER!!! get a cheap diamond plate. ive read people using drywall rasp.

Loose silicon carbide grit is cheap

When I need to flatten coarse stones or even medium ones that I've neglected into dishing (which is often) I use loose 80x SiC on a cinder block. You can't get much faster than that.

Back