Food allergies, intolerances, aversions and imagined problems

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lot to say about all this. I live and work in LA, which is home to normal people, as well as some of the most unreasonable, entitled, narcissistic, pseudo-science following, trend-loving and unburdened-by-logic humans that can be imagined.

First off, let me say I hope to never be a part of someone getting seriously ill or worse through anything I prepare, whether it is "my fault" or not. Sort of a hippocratic oath, I suppose. My friend is nut allergic, and one time he showed up at a party where he wasn't originally going to attend. So I made turkey burgers with feta cheese and pine nuts. But surprise, he showed up, and he forgot to ask, and I didn't think about it. So of course he had the turkey burger and had a mild reaction. I felt terrible. Never want to go thru that again.

People have a very complex relationship with food. Many people have no discipline or willpower when it comes to food or certain foods. I have several friends who are lactose intolerant, yet will have ice cream from time to time, without lactaid pills, knowing full well what will happen to them later. People negotiate with themselves, and "treat" themselves to food, even if it has significant negative consequences. Or, "I know I shouldn't, but...." like they're getting away with something.

There are celiacs, there are people with real allergies and sensitivities. Myself, I have always loved mussels, I used to eat them without any issue, but for whatever reason in the last few years, I can't keep them down. If I'm cooking it, I can taste the sauce, but if I eat a mussel, it's bad news. Other mollusks, no issues at all - oysters, clams, limpets, shellfish, other seafood-no problems. So it's possible to have very narrow sensitivities/allergies.

On the other hand, people have learned to say that they are allergic to things because it gets more attention at restaurants (or in our case, catering). But as mentioned above, people often give in with varying proportions of anxiety of symptoms, possible discomfort and distress, fake guilt, real guilt, or no consequences at all.

People are surprised when they go on a voluntary gluten free diet and they lose 30 pounds. Wheat is a good chunk of the Western diet, so removing wheat removes whole categories of food, so of course they lose weight.

An annoying trend is people showing up to weddings or sit-down dinner events without letting their host know about their food requirements, and asking "what are my ______________ options?" Insert gluten-free, garlic & onions free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian, no-carb, etc.

We did one party for an actor who made a big deal out of food being kosher-style and prepared in his kosher kitchen, and the other food being made out of his non-kosher kitchen. No problem. The servers were briefed that he is to be warned of all appetizers with any dairy, so as not to violate the beef and dairy rule, since he was planning to have steak. He had a fit at one point and demanded we go out and buy and prepare a separate kosher chicken for him. He ate all the appetizers. He ate the cheese course. He ate steak. He didn't touch the chicken. Broke all his own rules. Religion-based rules. Oh, well.

Oh, the rewarding, wonderful, annoying world of food.

~Tad

my favorite: a lady walks into my restaurant and say's " I am deathly allergic to onions but, My favorite dish is onion soup, can you strain out the onions for me? It will be alright my parents do it this way all the time." I say," get the hell out of here and don't come back", " If I ever see your parents I'm going to slap both of them!"

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

allergies are very common in Finland. the worse i have seen when we had 80 people for dinner and list of 50 people allergies.

you will hear the strangest and funniest things.

lots of people says that they can't take any milk product, but butter is ok !!? once i heard that some one is allergic to tea:lol2:. And lotsss more....

I live and work in LA, which is home to normal people, as well as some of the most unreasonable, entitled, narcissistic, pseudo-science following, trend-loving and unburdened-by-logic humans that can be imagined.

:spitcoffee: This is SO DAMN TRUE!!!

I know of other people that had adult onset allergies to shellfish. My former boss at the fish market I worked at years ago became had an allergic reaction to crab (naturally, after I made him a crabcake) after selling it, eating it for years. Another friend of mine had a horrible allergic reaction to scallops after enjoying them for years.

I developed a shellfish allergy in my late teens. It started with my lips swelling when eating some crab, and by the time I was around 22 I almost quit breathing after eating some shrimp flavored Top Ramen. I don't like mollusks, so I let people assume that I am allergic to them too!
And when I eat cilantro I break out in heeby jeebies!

When I read a comment from Spike my right eye starts to twitch. Maybe it's an allergy. :D

Having allergies, I can attest that they suck. It is also maddening when someone orders "gluten free" or they will die. Then the same person goes to a sushi restaurant and does the same thing. My boss asked me what is gluten. I never even heard of gluten free soy sauce until a week later.

Most people I know that have allergies really don't make to much of a big deal with them, they know not to eat xxxxx. As for most people that go and order with out xxxx and think it will still be the same are just idiots that have to be entertained.

My problem is that when food is deep fried in the same oil as shellfish my throat and mouth swell up and I feel really ******. I know to carefully peruse the menu and grill the server on the procedures that the kitchen uses. It is rather surprising how many places fry everything in the same oil.

+1
Fryers can be contentious places. Foods cooked in the fryer can effect someone much later.
It's easy to say "it's just the fryer" and let it go. To some one else it could mean an epi pen.

I did much of the research for one of my university professors papers, it was on the rise of food allergies. In North America over the last 7 years, 2003-2010(2010 was the last year with all the stats) the number of people who reported a "serious or life-threatening" allergy went up about 315%. Over the same time period the number of doctors who reported a patient with the same level of allergy went up 37%. In the rest of the world (ie. not north america) the number of all reported allergies, from both doctors and patients, went up at about the same rate as the population of the country.
The conclusion this prof came up with is that the stigma of an allergy is nearly gone in North America and now everyone wants one, just like when glasses became popular with people who don't "need" them.
My 2cents.

Lots of very interesting contributions, thanks to everyone. Would love to comment on some, but am too busy and/or tired, will do that later.

Stefan

a few years ago my wife went thru a very tough emotional period, and hid for awhile in the bottom of a bottle, then got better... When my youngest started kingergarten one of her classmates had a serious nut allergy. All the parents got the letter, and these little kids had to be 'educated'. So the teacher is talking to these little kids during 'circle time' explaining allergies, and what sometimes happens, etc etc. And then she ask they kids if any of them have an allergy, or know someone who does. And you get all the usual answers...allergic to bees, or peanuts or whatever....and my daughter raises her hand and proudly announces that "in our family, we're allergic to alcohol".

file-11.gif

Seen people say they are allergic to garlic, onions, carrots, tofu, all fish except for salmon and tuna...

Do these really exist? I think they are all bs, and people just don't like these foods and just think the restaurant will comply easier if they say they are allergic.

I'm allergic to shellfish ans lactose intolerant but I ignore the lactose thing and pay for it. But as someone who has an allergy I just avoid whatever it is and only ask if its something like stated above with the fryer or in pho if its made with shrimp paste/broth. But I think a lot of people say they re allergic to things because a-they don't like it and don't want to seem picky or b-they want to feel special. Its just my thought and honestly if you just want a gluten free diet say that and your not allergic because when a kitchen hears allergy it changes the game everything stops and makes 100% sure nothing touches their plate and so on.

Seen people say they are allergic to garlic, onions, carrots, tofu, all fish except for salmon and tuna...

Do these really exist? I think they are all bs, and people just don't like these foods and just think the restaurant will comply easier if they say they are allergic.

I don't know about all fish except for salmon and tuna, but I do know a person who is allergic to red tuna (both Yellowfin and Bluefin; caused itchiness, swelling around the throat area and remedied by Benadryl, but not Albacore), and I think I know someone else who is allergic to salmon.

I don't know about all fish except for salmon and tuna, but I do know a person who is allergic to red tuna (both Yellowfin and Bluefin; caused itchiness, swelling around the throat area and remedied by Benadryl, but not Albacore), and I think I know someone else who is allergic to salmon.

tuna is a fish that many people have reactions too. Tuna is very high in naturally occurring histamine which triggers your bodies allergic responses. Salmon, especially farm raised salmon tends to be high in heavy metals , mercury, lead and a few other things.

I've been having an allergic reaction to red wine lately. After drinking a lot of it my memory fails and I lose muscle coordination and speech proficiency.

k.

I've been having an allergic reaction to red wine lately. After drinking a lot of it my memory fails and I lose muscle coordination and speech proficiency.

k.

LOLOL

Dairy products doesn't sit well with me... Although this doesn't stop me from eating anything. I just have to take meds before doing so. Thankfully, unlike most Asians I am not allergic to alcohol at all. I don't turn bright red, get itchy or anything. I thank my mother's genes and legendary drinking ability. (Not in a problematic way of course. She's just capable of holding her liquor and out drinking most people twice her size).

I always feel bad for people with serious allergies, as well as the people who have to cook for them. It's not quiet the same dish without specific things, which I'm sure is incredibly frustrating for the chef.

Had daytime tv on as background noise while chopping stew ingredients today. A mistake, I know, but it was a so-called "cooking" show, that has maybe 5 minutes of cooking amongst the noise. They had a celebrity guest on who had changed her diet--lo and behold, she found out she was "allergic" to a bunch of different foods because when she stopped eating garbage she felt better! She even said "oh, I won't die if I eat it, I just feel better when I don't!" AIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! I managed not to throw anything at the tv at that point. When they went to commercial, it was for a product to kill every single last germ on anything you might touch ever in your life. (Of course, the germs will be resistant in a month because of improper use.) Then another commercial on the wonder drugs you can take if you're feeling a little down--"Call us! You might be depressed and qualify for experimental medicines!"

No wonder people are screwed up.

Had daytime tv on as background noise while chopping stew ingredients today. A mistake, I know, but it was a so-called "cooking" show, that has maybe 5 minutes of cooking amongst the noise. They had a celebrity guest on who had changed her diet--lo and behold, she found out she was "allergic" to a bunch of different foods because when she stopped eating garbage she felt better! She even said "oh, I won't die if I eat it, I just feel better when I don't!" AIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! I managed not to throw anything at the tv at that point. When they went to commercial, it was for a product to kill every single last germ on anything you might touch ever in your life. (Of course, the germs will be resistant in a month because of improper use.) Then another commercial on the wonder drugs you can take if you're feeling a little down--"Call us! You might be depressed and qualify for experimental medicines!"

No wonder people are screwed up.

"I used to care, but they have a pill for that now."

tuna is a fish that many people have reactions too. Tuna is very high in naturally occurring histamine which triggers your bodies allergic responses. Salmon, especially farm raised salmon tends to be high in heavy metals , mercury, lead and a few other things.

Seems like I've heard that the longer the fish is dead, the higher the histamine levels. Or it could just be the wine from dinner talking. :D

Back