Media Food Release Videos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how you've just posted the videos without comment and let everyone make up their own minds. A few there seem to perform surprisingly well

Thanks for taking the time to post these vids Rick. We all really appreciate the effort. Very impressive collection you as well!

I agree with the above comments, that there's more to it than just this one test, there's many variables that come into play, and everyone's experiences may not be the same. As great as these vids are and there's consistency from one knife to the next, this isn't a very real-world test - non of us would actually cut potatoes like that in a real cooking situation, and there the results may be different.

Great little experiment, and thanks again for sharing this with us! mpp

I took a couple quick videos of the knives I had on hand.

Fujiwara Teruyasu Nashiji

[video=youtube;zUkGvmdSUUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkGvmdSUUk[/video]

Eamon Catcheside Collab

[video=youtube;kBka-KLu4as]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBka-KLu4as&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for the vids, Rick! Quite interesting actually. As a home cook I didn't think food release was that important but lately I've starting to give it a second thought.
And once again, the Itinomonn sure looks like a great piece of steel! And wood of course. I have get my hands on one and give it a try one of these days.

Impressive, Don! I love your knives, as you know. That Catcheside/Burke Collab looks amazing!

Rick, you're right. The knife that made me preorder a Western Itinomonn from Maxim is the 210 Nashiji KU Itinomonn. They are fantastic knives. Beautiful grinds, fantastic food release and incredible feel...I'll be keeping my Itinomonn for a long long time.

Glad that Ealy is getting some use. Never had much time for it way back when. It's nakiri brother does a mean job on carrots though!

Great video's rick looks real good.

Oh and I'm for sure finding a way to get one of those Itinomonn's. Looks unbelievable.

IMHO Gesshin Heiji wins so far :)
Thanks for all the vids OP.

Thanks for taking the time to post these vids Rick. We all really appreciate the effort. Very impressive collection you as well!

I agree with the above comments, that there's more to it than just this one test, there's many variables that come into play, and everyone's experiences may not be the same. As great as these vids are and there's consistency from one knife to the next, this isn't a very real-world test - non of us would actually cut potatoes like that in a real cooking situation, and there the results may be different.

Great little experiment, and thanks again for sharing this with us! mpp

Thanks for the comment and criticism. What would you recommend for a real-world test? Thin slices? Dicing?

Thanks for the comment and criticism. What would you recommend for a real-world test? Thin slices? Dicing?

PT, for the intended purpose of the test, I think it's spot on. I think I remember Salty using peeled and soaked potatoes, as they are about as sticky as you can get. And, agian, I'm glad the action was clearly audible. Well done in my book....

Hopefully we can build a library of vids...that would be cool!

I think thin mushroom and potato slices, and dicing an onion would be great, but all in all, these really display the release properties of each knife.

IMHO Gesshin Heiji wins so far :)
Thanks for all the vids OP.

I agree. If it made extra noise on the board I don't care as long as the food doesn't stick. I mean, isn't that the idea here in this demo? Sticktion.

I hate stiction! Thanks for taking the time to do this Rick! I think the test idea is excellent as the same technique is used consistently. Please continue with the arsenal whenever you get the time.

Don, love the Catcheside! Glad that you too maintained the original format.

Cheers!

I think these videos do their intended job nicely as long as everyone realizes there is some variation between knives, technique, and produce. There's definitely a number of factors that affect sticktion some are more difficult to get a handle on that others. Aside from knife geometry and finish, I know that the amount of moisture on the knife can make a difference as well as the speed of cutting. Also, different parts of the knife will often behave differently. The technique part is real but I, personally, have trouble with that. I don't always get as good food release as some other folks doing what is seemingly the exact same thing and I've tried it in person, side by side, cutting the same stuff. It's been frustrating at times, to say the least. I must also add that the best anti-sticktion knife is easily Glestain. It's fantastic. With regard to the testing, push-cuts are gonna stick more than slicing motions, in general so that makes two types of tests. Maybe cutting progressively thinner slices might be illustrative, as well as cutting objects of different heights. Anyway, thanks for the vids, Rick. :thumbsup:

Some variables that affect stiction are the variety of potato (starchy or waxy) as well as the width of the slice (a thick slice is heavier and will drop off easier than a thin one). There may well be effects from technique that play a part in food release.

Rick

And the potatoes you used were well scrubbed Russets, or what?

Rick, you're right. The knife that made me preorder a Western Itinomonn from Maxim is the 210 Nashiji KU Itinomonn. They are fantastic knives. Beautiful grinds, fantastic food release and incredible feel...I'll be keeping my Itinomonn for a long long time.

I was able to pick up the last one of the westerns from Maxim, and I'm stoked to get ahold of it. You guys are such enablers, it's awesome!!!

I was going to stay out of this but I can't see letting this good thread be ruined by a bunch 'O crap posts so I've gone ahead and cleaned the thread up.

Please understand that the mod team is discussing what to do about the exchange that took place earlier within this thread. The parties who took part in said exchange will be notified as to what will happen, if anything, as a result.

No more off topic posts will be permitted in this thread.

Good convexed faces or multi faceted grinds or "s" shaped grinds release food pretty well.

Here are a couple of new videos of a Stephen Fowler 25.5 cm gyuto cutting a potato, first into 1/4" slices, and then into thin slices, as was suggested after my last posting of food release videos. The potato is a yellow russet.

Fowler 25.5 cm 52100 gyuto

[video=youtube;aolV5G5xr-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolV5G5xr-k[/video]

[video=youtube;mHYHpq48Q-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYHpq48Q-k[/video]

Looks like I need to send the 225mm promptly to join the crowd.

M

Back