D. Martell For Sale - 240mm Martell Yo-Gyuto CPM-154

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I forgot, Dave also said the finish was a little "wispy."

Which the buyer didn't mention at all in his complaint, and was never a point of contention among either party. So let me rephrase: the one and only issue with the knife, that anybody directly relevant to the issue cares about, is the handle.

My bad!

There are many options a seller can take in this scenario...

Remake handle at their/purchasers cost?
Refund the purchase. .
Blah blah.

And also. "As is" in no way defines no refund. It just means you purchase in as is condition.

Marc's issue with the knife was that the handle was too small. He had no issue with everything else.

My response was mostly to the smarmy tone. But Dave himself said this knife wasn't the strongest representation of his work. 'If he had bought a first rate knife, he might have a leg to stand on.' 'Not this knife.'

It is what it is. If people feel these knives are worth the price tag, they'll pay. For him to act like that to folks who support his work is pretty surprising. I've never felt they were worth the price tag and I certainly don't now...

Dave mentioned the blade profile being a slight rocker, not his normal flat and fast. I don't think he mentioned it as an issue, but either way it appealed to me. He did mention he couldn't get the finish he normally likes to achieve on the blade itself, sighting some wispy lines. Maybe it's the screens of my 4k laptop, or my tablet, but I couldn't see these lines. So I figured these were just tiny imperfections that Dave, a seeming perfectionist, was seeing as something bigger than what they really are. Or the lines were something that a regular Joe like myself wouldn't mind. And yes, I did take in account that pictures don't always tell all when viewed through a monitor. In reality there are some light wispy lines, but nothing outrageous. My ITK I got straight from Devin has more wispy lines than this knife does, as do several other "first grade" knives I've bought from respected makers. So I don't see this as an issue.
Another issue Dave stated was some surface imperfections on the handle. I still don't see those. So again, I don't see this as an issue.

But Dave does instruct us, as the potential buyer, to see the pics below when referring to the slightly thinner than normal handle. So I did. The pictures don't really show how small the handle actually is. If instructing one to look at pictures to see just how small the handle is, I think it would be important to provide pictures to show just how small it really is. Or put something up next to it as a reference. At the time of the post, only one person knew just how small the handle is. That would be the same person who directed us to look at the pictures, the same person I trusted with $525.

Sous vide, you mentioned that outside of 2 options I just might be kidding myself. Maybe you're correct. Or maybe Dave could have said something like "dude, you've bought from me before a few times, and I like repeat customers. If I throw a re-handle coupon at you, or refund you a couple bucks, or paint you a pretty picture of puppies and rainbows, would this get us square?" There were plenty of options that could have been offered.

I bought a stone holder from Dave back in 2012 I think. When I received it there was a large crack in the rubber base. I shot Dave a pm informing him and he promptly replied with an apology. He then replaced it free of charge and even let me keep the defected one. That's Grade A customer service. And that's what I've come to expect from Dave. Hence why I decided to inquire what my options were. Something I think Anybody would have done.

"As is" in no way defines no refund. It just means you purchase in as is condition.

Wat. From eBay:

It is widely known that "As-Is" means that the bidder can't expect anything but what is described in the auction. Be sure to reflect the "As-Is" status in your return policy. Usually, when an item is sold "As-Is", it also means there can be no returns.
I mean, it's kinda like a thing most people know man. "As-Is" carries an implication of "no returns, bro," from flea markets to online warehouses.

But that's beside the point, right? Marc wasn't really looking for a return - he wanted to explore options. My question is, what sort of options are there really, that don't involve Dave taking further loss on something he already marked down $100 and sold clearly "as-is."

^^ maybe he could've offered me a good joke or a fun magic trick rather than insults? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back