Media "Forged in Fire" premiers tonight

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
honestly i don't question carter's ability to make knives after that episode, he didn't need to do that video. People should understand it's a time pressure competition- most of these guys would take a lot longer to turn out the initial knife and probably on a project like a second would take much longer than a week to ensure everything was perfect. Ah well. I wonder if katanas really bent up all the time though.

Having had lots of Murray's sandwiched steel kitchen knives bend in use, it didn't surprise me his sword had a soft center. I once bent one into a U trying to cut cold Ghee. Mace has spent way more time making swords than Murray so he was in his element.

I thought this was the best show of the season by far. Was surprised Murray didn't win but Mace Vitale apparently has a great reputation, although as far as I can tell he doesn't make kitchen knives..

I also vote to get rid of the "kill" guy...

I'm glad Mace won. He did some great work.
I too hope they do another season, but can we get at least 1 kitchen knife episode? Does it have to be a designated weapon to be interesting and cool?
And get some real chefs up in there testing them out!
Just please for the love of God leave Alton Brown out of it! I'll take the "IIITTT WILL KEEL" guy all day long over him!

I had some real issues with something that happened during the final episode. When the judges sat around yipping about a contestant "is going to burn himself", if they didn't stop him to put on some gloves, they should be fired. They should be kicked out of their homes. Their children should not have shoes. You've got a guy who makes a living with his hands, and they put his livelihood at risk so that the History channel can sell soap. And then they brag about it in the episode description. They knew there was an accident in the making--they had an obligation to step in and do something about it. If the contestant was badly burned, I hope he sues the pants off the History channel for negligence.

Admittedly I'm biased by personal experience. During my working years at least 18 people died as a result of on the job accidents. All the History channel judges had to do was make sure the guy put on some gloves. Instead they let him get burned--and they knew it was coming. But it made for good TV! That's just evil and criminal in my book. Workplace accidents happen. But this was entirely avoidable. And if you see someone engaging in unsafe behavior, SAY SOMETHING!

I hear you lucretia but it's really common in the restaurant business. When I was learning in school one of the chefs was watching me use a mandolin I cut myself and went to get a glove and cover it up. He was still watching me I go at it again and then whack my finger looked like a pez dispenser. You know what my chef was doing he was cracking up saying I knew were going to do it again. This is just one example not to mention hot plate games, handles over flames and watching what idiot doesn't have there towl. The list goes on. It might shock some but it is really common.

$T2eC16N,!)8E9s4l6b0KBP+HRhg65g~~60_35.JPG

I had some real issues with something that happened during the final episode. When the judges sat around yipping about a contestant "is going to burn himself", if they didn't stop him to put on some gloves, they should be fired.

I'm not sure what if anything their "fine print" says about liability and an obligation to follow industry accepted protocol, but I think the contestants who break (what should be) rules ought to be disqualified. But I suppose that wouldn't get views now would it :scratchhead:

I know before I got the office job, while doing field engineering / construction inspection if you were on a site without PPE, well let's say you'd be sorry; hard hat had to be on even if no immediate hazards in the vicinity as stupid as it may have seemed.

I had some real issues with something that happened during the final episode. When the judges sat around yipping about a contestant "is going to burn himself", if they didn't stop him to put on some gloves, they should be fired. They should be kicked out of their homes. Their children should not have shoes. You've got a guy who makes a living with his hands, and they put his livelihood at risk so that the History channel can sell soap. And then they brag about it in the episode description. They knew there was an accident in the making--they had an obligation to step in and do something about it. If the contestant was badly burned, I hope he sues the pants off the History channel for negligence.

Admittedly I'm biased by personal experience. During my working years at least 18 people died as a result of on the job accidents. All the History channel judges had to do was make sure the guy put on some gloves. Instead they let him get burned--and they knew it was coming. But it made for good TV! That's just evil and criminal in my book. Workplace accidents happen. But this was entirely avoidable. And if you see someone engaging in unsafe behavior, SAY SOMETHING!

Completely agree, I had similar thoughts when it was happening.

Ok guys... to be fair... I know alot of professional welders. These guys aren't wearing masks when they're doing 90% of the welds or more... Guy was rushing, clearly forgot he didn't have gloves until he had starter to HT...! What to do? It's not like he has to hold on to the pliers for dear life? I understand how important workplace safety is, however, this isn't exactly analagous to a "workplace" type situation.

You know I hadn't thought about Lucretia's point and it is a most excellent one, I officially retract my statement that it was the "best show" and replace it with "the worst show"

+1 for Lucretia

Ok guys... to be fair... I know alot of professional welders. These guys aren't wearing masks when they're doing 90% of the welds or more... Guy was rushing, clearly forgot he didn't have gloves until he had starter to HT...! What to do? It's not like he has to hold on to the pliers for dear life? I understand how important workplace safety is, however, this isn't exactly analagous to a "workplace" type situation.

If they had just overlooked it and the, apparently minor, accident occurred, I'd see your point. However they intentionally ignored an impending safety event, edited the footage to make it look preventable, and failed to address it after the fact.

I'm off to go watch The Real Housewives of Bismarck, North Dakota.

Hey now, that's my part of the country. Tone down the mildly derogatory sarcasm ;) Btw, I watch so little TV, I had to google Real Housewives to make sure there was no such thing. Nothing, absolutely nothing surprises me anymore in America. And even though I have not seen the Mareko episode. Knyfe has convinced me that he got robbed.

k.

I see they are doing casting for the next season.

Hoss

After seeing the first few episodes I'm not sure that I really want to see anyone that I know competing. In the current format it seems sort of like a set up for failure or maybe it's just that I know we'll not be seeing these guys doing what they do best and only see how they flub through some tricks pulled on them. I'd like to see them cast for specific blade types and have the makers know what they'll be making going into the competition, I feel that'd show us some really great bladesmithing. That likely makes for boring TV for the average potato head TV zombie so it'll never happen. It's better to make a fool out of someone and have a good laugh at their expense than to showcase their talents.

In regards to you specifically Devin, I think that you'd give anyone a run for their money in anything they'd throw at ya, I'm very sure of that. I also bet that you'd make a great judge.

If I had better health I would do it, and I'm dure I'd do or say something stupid to show the whole world. It seems like you have to be from CT to win.

Hoss

See it already happened, sure not dure.

Hoss

They only offer a prize of $10k!

I wonder how long this is filmed over and if they actually pay these guys for their time and expenses. I remember someone saying on another forum that he'd been invited to participate in one of these things, but a prerequisite was that he sign a waiver to indemnify the production company and the History channel from libel litigation if they knowingly misrepresented him on the show.

I've wondered if they sent the bladesmiths back to their own shops in order to avoid union payments, workman's comp, etc. Keep the hours that the show is responsible for to a minimum.

Had my tonsils removed last week and recovery has been slow and terrible so I've watched every episode of Forged in Fire.

Has anyone here been on it?

Back