Media "Forged in Fire"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really believe how murrey Carter loose.
I don't know so many Americans Smith but I thought he was one of the very best!
What about the judges?
Who are they?

I don't think it was judged based on Murray's forte, and he may have been a bit out of his element (I recall he hadn't really used a gas forge, typically pine charcoal). And those gaudy fantasy knives do not appeal to me anyways

Mareko and Carter were both top tier competitors and both are out of their element. Neither make swords, mareko doesn't even really make hunting knives from what I can tell, I've only ever seen kitchen knives, mostly with an integral guard(super bad ass knives btw, his instagram is probably the best out there). I kind of understand why they lost, mareko if memory serves me right had a bent up handle. Not sure if that's worse than a mildly warped blade. I don't remember the Carter episode as I dislike murray carter, he brags too much for me. I'd love to see them do a special with like 8 2nd place guys and do an elimation style tourney.

Agree about the bragging… since hiring some new staff, the marketing (eg the best knives in the world) and frequently mentioning how many thousands of knives he's made is annoying. I won't forget the issues I've had to deal with either, wasted a LOT of my personal time/money to sort out

I don't think it was judged based on Murray's forte, and he may have been a bit out of his element (I recall he hadn't really used a gas forge, typically pine charcoal). And those gaudy fantasy knives do not appeal to me anyways

Carter lost on the final round, though, so he was doing the forging at his own shop. I do recall him bringing up that he usually uses charcoal, as well as water quench instead of oil, which is what they had on the set.

I like that the forging done in the show's shop/set has everyone on equal footing with regards to available equipment. When they get sent back to their own shop in the final round sometimes there's a huge disparity in equipment.

Murray did really well in the initial round if I remember correctly.

He lost in the last round because his sword had a bend after testing.

It was weird though because he was trying to heat treat a sword in a pretty small forge for kitchen knives. I think he lost fair and square in the end because they other guy was very good as well. He got really defensive about the loss imo and made a whole video about it after show.

Mareko got straight up robbed though it was infuriating.

yeah I remember his response video on youtube that was not him in greatest form but... I mean we've all heard of two guys on that show... who lost... Methinks the playing field was perhaps too level. But neither mareko or carter made knives that they sell... carter makes some little outdoorsman knives I gather (I don't bother looking at **** that far out of my price range) and I don't know a damn thing about mareko. But one assumes weapons are quite different from kitchen knives... and I think exclusively the tests on that show involve making actual weapons that need to withstand forces no kitchen knife would ever really encounter if used as intended.

I only watched the 1st season. I used to do environmental (stress) testing for a living, and whoever it is that comes up with their tests and mounting fixtures needs a quick kick someplace up close and personal. Their tests were poorly designed and gave bad results, IMO. Sounds like they're up to the same shennanigans. (And yes, Mareko got hosed.)

13226659_396051027232171_5000213519408761208_n.jpg

Don't know when it aired in the States but Season 4 just started airing on Foxtel in Australia.

Never watched the show before but just watched Episode 1. Mareko is back....and this time, its personal.

I take on board the earlier comments from the professional smiths amongst us. Even to me some parts of the show seem a bit gimmicky and I guess if you know what you are talking about then this would be even more pronounced. But I have zero knowledge or experience of smithing so for me seeing the whole process of forging , shaping, quenching, grinding etc is interesting and informative. Eventually, I guess, the gimmicky parts will become too much for me (I've only seen 2 episodes and I'm already over the "it will kill" bit) but for now it's interesting.

They have to do what will draw a viewing audience. Trust me, there is a lot larger market for shows about Japanese katana than there is about Japanese kitchen knives.

Back