Fresh Bread Storage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimag333

Reaction score
So I am at the point of basically making bread everyday, what do you guys store your bread in to keep it soft? I dont want to keep using cling wrap

heres some italian from yesterday and no knead from this morning

I use a plastic bag. http://food52.com/blog/8236-how-to-store-fresh-bread But the big issue for me has always been the crust -- the best part of bread IMO. Good firm crust inevitably softens, which breaks my heart. But I've had success partially rejuvenating it by putting the bread in a brown paper bag, moistened a bit on the outside, and heating it in the oven around 325, then removing it from the bag for a bit more heating if the bread is soft and moisture level replenished but the crust needs to be firmer.

Best way I've found is to store it cut side down on a wood chopping board. Looks a little like stonehenge but last pretty well. Any plastic will soften the crust this will allow the bread to slowly stale with minimal damage.

The better made the bread is the longer it lasts. I know folks that can get 6 days out of an uncut loaf; I'd love to be able to bake that well but my forming and handling is not that good.

Remember you can reheat the loaf which will re gelatinise the starches and give it a freshen up. Downside is that this seems to increase the moisture loss and reduce the overall lifespan.

Hot/very fresh bread freezes very well, if you bake more than one at a time, try freezing some still hot, wrapped with thick cotton cloth and report your results ;) Of course you have to freeze them without frozen produce around to avoid heat transfers inside your freezer. The thick cotton cloth also cut down on the heat transfer and moisture reactions, it traps the heat inside the bread and not out to the freezer.

The cut side down technique is also a must for the piece you currently use, I avoids more dryness in the inside. I put a little cotton cloth on top on it, sometimes.

I used to bake everyday but thanks to the freezer, I only bake once or twice a week, making all the bread I need in once, I bought two bread stones cut to size for my oven so I was able to ramp up production. The quality of unfrozen bread is pretty good in my experience, as long as you wrap it with thick cotton cloth. They unfreeze in a couple hours or more depending on the size of them. I make them smaller and smaller because I like them "fresh" from the freezer instead of letting a big load getting stale. The crust is supposed to stay pristine if you do it properly.

Much better doing it that way than trying to revive old loaves with water and heat. I've given up with that.

+1 JCHine, then in a zip lock after 2 days, and sliced and frozen after 4 days, if any is left.

Back