• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: 2 Heijis and a Hide

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks like my wife might be out of work again soon, and for who knows how long, and I've got textbooks to buy, so I've decided that three really nice gyutos is enough for a home cook suddenly relying on a single income, so 2 Heijis and a Gesshin Hide are up for sale.

First off are the Heijis. These two knives are not in a usable state. They had fattened up over time, as all knives do, and I had re-profiled them in expectation of sending them to Jon to finish them by thinning them out. My thumb is starting to hurt again, probably not a coincidence that I've been doing quite a lot of knife work for friends lately, so I just can't do the thinning (you can see where I started with a coarse stone on the 270, and just gave up on it). Somebody who can thin them out, or decides to send them to Jon, will get lots of usable life out of the knifes, and they will be missed (fortunately I have two other 240 Heijis, to tide me over). Both knives come with a saya. The 240 Heiji is about 48mm at the heel, and the 270 is about 50mm at the heel. Both are semi-stainless knives. I'd like $300 shipped, CONUS for the 240, and $400 shipped CONUS, for the 270. If you buy both Heijis, we can go to $650 shipped, CONUS.

The Gesshin Hide is good to go. It's been thinned out and I've given it a basic re-finish. It's definitely a work horse knife, but cuts well. Attached is a choil shot. I couldn't get a tip shot with my iPhone, unfortunately, but it looks about like you'd expect, given the choil. This knife is blue #2, and is about 51mm at the heel. The steel is very nice, and it's a very well put together knife, for sure. This comes with a saya. I'd like $400 shipped, CONUS.

If somebody crazy decides they want all three knives, we can go down to $975. If somebody international, or out of CONUS, is interested, we can figure shipping costs out. Paypal is easiest, but I wouldn't mind a check or money order, as long as it's understood that shipment will only happen after everything is completely cleared.

Sorry for the lousy photos, iPhone only goes so far in a dark kitchen after midnight. Merry Christmas, and thanks for looking.

click to embiggen

click to embiggen

I should have said that it's a 240mm Gesshin Hide gyuto.

All three knives are on hold, at the moment. I'll update as things happen.

Wow. That's a lot of good steel changing hands at once. I hope finances get a little better for you. Merry Christmas.

Wow. That's a lot of good steel changing hands at once. I hope finances get a little better for you. Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you too, Tinh, and I hope so, too. At least my textbooks for the next three terms are taken care of, which will help a lot.

Back