• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Damascus Rader gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging solely on the profiles. And I don't care when it comes to anything else at this price range. If the knife does not perfo it is laughable if it costs that amount of money. Rader has the peoples choice in mind! Beautifully shaped blades and insanely nice finishes. I can't believe that kramers are so expensive and you have to rock chop to use one properly. It's pretty intense.

I hope Mike doesn't think we are knocking his knives because they are awesome but almost nothing you wrote above makes sense. Why don't you just say "in my opinion, based on no real evidence of my own..."? Kramers knives perform in line with the best knives made, and it's been proven time and time again by people who have actually used them. And his knife prices are a complex issue based a lot on supply/demand. Do you even have a Rader?? I know you don't have a Kramer. Good grief.

Haha... Brad, I have owned a rader, Burke, and Kramer all at the same time and was able to compare them all side by side. Yes, all 3 at work on my cutting board. Oddly, during the 2 years of owning and using a Kramer in a professional kitchen, I was never forced to rock chop with the knife. They are all absolutely fantastic knives! Raders knives are great, I have owned 3! But making very big statements without ever owning or using any of the knives is kind of strange. I will personally say IMHO, all of the knives are good knives. I love my raders but I can also say my Kramer was a beast in the kitchen.

-Chuck

To be fair that is the Meji line. Didn't Salty have the profile customized?

I've got the Kramer Zwilling. Not sure how close it is to the original. But there is a lot to like about the knife. It's good at push cutting and rock chopping. How many knifes have that feature? The tip is the thinnest I've seen. Granted I don't own many gyutos. But it would be hard to imagine a thinner tip. The only thing that a Kramer wouldn't be good at is walking the board, at least in my hands.

The Z might be a Kramer lite, but it would be a good way to experience the Kramer without spending a whole lot of money.

Jay

All I'll say is the Kramer profile works very very well.

I have a zwilling Kramer, that of course isn't a real Kramer but I don't like the profile much. The knife is cool it's just not for me :)

I have both the 8"and the 10" Z Kramer, along with the 9"slicer and the paring. Obviously I'm a little bit of a fan of this line, so my saying that the profile (s) of his work extremely well in just about any situation is souly my personal preference. Would I love to have a REAL Kramer? Absolutely. Could I afford one? Not according to my wife, or reality.
But like most knives I own, I highly recommend them. And like most knives I own, my opinion of them will certainly differ from others.

How many makers approach the level of fit and finish , and the quality of the blades on Raders? Any thoughts?

How many makers approach the level of fit and finish , and the quality of the blades on Raders? Any thoughts?

Bill Burke and Devin Thomas, to name two. I haven't handled any of Pierre Rodrigue's high end work, or that of Aaron Wilburn or Will Catcheside, but they may be in the running.

I have a reworked DT at home, and I've handled lots of Pierre's work. One of Pierre's parers that I'd consider "high-end" was virtually flawless, as is the DT. The one Will Catcheside San Mai that I still have hanging around for a new suit is possibly the single finest piece I've ever seen. It's perfect, and I don't throw that around lightly.

His ironwood and copper nakiri was up there, FOR ME.

I have a reworked DT at home, and I've handled lots of Pierre's work. One of Pierre's parers that I'd consider "high-end" was virtually flawless, as is the DT. The one Will Catcheside San Mai that I still have hanging around for a new suit is possibly the single finest piece I've ever seen. It's perfect, and I don't throw that around lightly.

+10
I have to agree with Tom. I have a Burke, a DT San Mai and two Pierre Damascus and several of Randy's. I have to base my comparisons on a utility knife of Michael's, but all are are superb. I also agree that Will's work is some of the best I have seen, bar none (imho only, your mileage may vary).

I got lucky enough to get a Harner yanagi with some of mr. Thomas's dammy. It really is an incredible knife. Hope to own a DT, a Rader,and a Rodriguez someday but as far as the Catchside knives go.. Wow.

Every time I see this thread pop up in "what's new" I get excited thinking there is a Rader for sale...

This has turned into a very weird thread and should probably be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back