Full Sheet Pans in Carbon Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxhaus

Reaction score
Do they make full sheet pans in carbon steel? Are would that be a pizza pan. I was thinking for roasting bones it might be nice. We also roast Tator tots, Bussel sprouts, and lots of other things. They might roast better on steel. I would want a pan I can season so it does not rust.

What do you think? Would it be too heavy? Would a smaller size be better?

I have an All-Clad roasting pan I use for turkeys and such but stainless steel is a lot of trouble to clean.

I would be interested in half sheets in carbon steel as well...

I once bought half sheets in SS but they were too thin and warped terribly.

Helen Rennie recommends "seasoning" your Al sheet pans. I'm seasoning my sheets pans, but I haven't seen a large difference in performance. I bake bread and pizza on half sheets and I've noticed slightly better browning on the bottom, but it isn't dramatic.

Do they make Chicago square pizza pans that would work?

Yea it might work if it was bigger. I think my cast iron is the same size. I think they make a 17 inch one.

I can't find it if they make a 17 inch. A 17 inch cast iron would be too heavy for me.

Last edited:
From Matfer's site, the rim is 5/8". So the volume of the one you linked would be 3.8 liters (about a gallon).
I think I might order one. Does anybody own one of these? Do you like it?

You are overthinking things. Get cheap aluminum sheet pans from your local restaurant supply shop and some expensive silicone parchment paper. Do not use cheap parchment (Quilon). Cleanup is easy and silicone parchment works great to high temperature. It will handle short broiling.

You are overthinking things. Get cheap aluminum sheet pans from your local restaurant supply shop and some expensive silicone parchment paper. Do not use cheap parchment (Quilon). Cleanup is easy and silicone parchment works great to high temperature. It will handle short broiling.
This is what I currently do. I have sheet pans recommended on this site. The parchment paper makes for easy cleanup. I was just thinking I would like to try seasoned steel to keep the cleanup easy and maybe brown a little better. We roast vegies at least 2 to 3 times a week.

Has anybody used steel instead of aluminum?

brown a little better. We roast vegies at least 2 to 3 times a week.

Has anybody used steel instead of aluminum?

I'd recommend trying to season your al pans before spending any money. Just take some canola oil or other vegetable oil and rub a barely noticeable layer of oil onto the inside and outside of the pan with a paper towel and bake it in your oven at 450 for an hour per layer. Its really important to get it thin unless the seasoning with be spotty and bumpy. I made roasted sunchokes last night with a seasoned pan and the pieces released pretty easily.

If that doesn't give you improvements, another thing you can try is to get a baking steel. I noticed a huge improvement in browning when I place my sheet pans on my baking steels. I recommend Al bars instead of steel for weight saving though. People have recommended .5 in steel which corresponds to ~1.5 in Al in thermal capacity.

I'd recommend trying to season your al pans before spending any money. Just take some canola oil or other vegetable oil and rub a barely noticeable layer of oil onto the inside and outside of the pan with a paper towel and bake it in your oven at 450 for an hour per layer. Its really important to get it thin unless the seasoning with be spotty and bumpy. I made roasted sunchokes last night with a seasoned pan and the pieces released pretty easily.

If that doesn't give you improvements, another thing you can try is to get a baking steel. I noticed a huge improvement in browning when I place my sheet pans on my baking steels. I recommend Al bars instead of steel for weight saving though. People have recommended .5 in steel which corresponds to ~1.5 in Al in thermal capacity.
I don't think I could sell my wife on a 1/2-inch piece of steel to go in the oven. It would be very heavy for an oven my size.

like this
1/2 Steel Pizza Baking Plate 1/2 Thick A36 Seasoned Steel | Etsy

Last edited:
What about something like this? Disclaimer: I haven't used one and I get no money if you click the link but damn @coxhaus now I probably need one too

https://store.177milkstreet.com/products/de-buyer-oval-roasting-pan
I just found this on debuyers site. This pan is not safe for above 400 degrees. Steel has a tendency to warp unless it is thick. This is what I am worried about with steel sheet pans.
"

• MADE IN FRANCE
      *Flash Use - Less than 400℉ and less than 10 minutes
  • FAQ

I just found this on debuyers site. This pan is not safe for above 400 degrees. Steel has a tendency to warp unless it is thick. This is what I am worried about with steel sheet pans.
"

• MADE IN FRANCE
      *Flash Use - Less than 400℉ and less than 10 minutes
  • FAQ

Yeah I would have never even thought about using steel. Which is what intrigued me to see what was out there at first. In commercial kitchens I've been in we use the thick aluminum roasting pans with handles on both sides. They are much lighter than comparable steel pans would be. And commercial ovens are big. And we mostly rely on high oven temps and high speed convection fans to do the browning, not pan contact with the food. As far as cleanup, I think seasoned aluminum is also best. You just scour it with a stainless steel scrubbie until it is shiny. So after thinking about it some, I'm uncertain what value carbon steel brings to roasting pans. I reserve the right to buy one to prove myself right though of course.

I own a Matfer black steel paella pan and it is absolutely fantastic. They are a bit more rustic than the DeBuyers, but they are built very well to last and at a good price. It is heavier and thicker than a traditional paella pan, which I think would be better for a pizza. the traditional ones are very thin and I do not think would hold enough heat capacity to provide a good crust for the pizza. Check it on the matfer website directly, and it will end up being a multi use pan for you, I think.

I think you're in a smaller town but do you have any fab shops near you?
I can weld one no problem. I am not sure I can find A36 steel. I could build one with regular steel and burn it with a torch and then stone it smooth and clean which might work. 1/4 inch plate steel is cheap. It might be too heavy and I don't think my wife would use it.

I can weld one no problem. I am not sure I can find A36 steel. I could build one with regular steel and burn it with a torch and then stone it smooth and clean which might work. 1/4 inch plate steel is cheap. It might be too heavy and I don't think my wife would use it.

Yeah I was just thinking some easy to come by mild steel whatever it might be. Probably be about the same a big cast iron pan huh? You think it needs to be a full 1/4" thick? I was thinking 1/8" but that might warp. I was just thinking it might make a fun project.

I guess in the end, if I really wanted to pursue this I'd just get the roasting pan. :)

Restaurant supply half sheet pans and a stainless steel all-clad deep lasagna pan are what I use at home. I'm not sure what you gain by adding all the extra weight.

Use a ceramic pizza stone instead of metal? They do come in rectangle shapes. And can like, you know, double as a pizza stone.

Back