D. Martell Gallery - Hiromoto AS... Full Spa Treatment

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's a borderline phenomenal affect. your knife must be magical

This is Keith's 240mm Hiromoto AS. Keith did the rehandle and I followed with the performance package spa treatment....

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Here's another collaboration Hiro....this one belongs to Rick "Theory".

I did the performance package (thin/etch/etc) to the blade and Rick did the rehandle. He sure pushed himself with this handle and considering it's maybe his 2nd or 3rd I'm VERY impressed. He went with what looks like maple or maybe box elder (?), triple liners (!!!), and did the 'ole coke bottle shaping as well!!! Talk about ambitious! I took some extra pictures of the handle to show off, hope you don't mind Rick. :)

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010026.JPG

^^^ Love those spacers Rick!!! ^^^

Yeah, they look pretty cool, but a bit of a pita. That's where I maybe rushed it a bit. Supposed to wait like 6 hours between glue ups before moving on to the next one but I may have been a bit impatient on one of those steps and you can see where the red bolster spaced slipped a little bit. Also, I didn't do such a clean job on the tang under the handle. It's a trouble spot for me with my limited tools so I just asked Dave to clean her up a little and wow. Awesome! Can't wait to get her back!!

I'm glad that you like the looks of it Rick. She's a high speed operator for sure now. :)

I have another Hiromoto Performance Package done, this one belongs to James. I thought for sure that this one was going to turn out plain and clearly that's not the case.

P1010003.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010016.JPG

Gorgeous! It always amazes me how different each knife turns out.

I was wondering if you have any tips and suggestions for a hidden tang conversion. How much of the tang do you leave for good balance with a stabilized wood?

I was wondering if you have any tips and suggestions for a hidden tang conversion. How much of the tang do you leave for good balance with a stabilized wood?

I usually leave about 1/2" past the middle rivet hole.

Here's another 240mm Hiromoto AS that's had the "Performance Package" (blade thinned, spine/choil rounded, etched, & sharpened) done to it.

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Dear Dave,

If you have a moment, would you mind sharing tips on thinning secondary bevels? Your thinning jobs like great...

I have watched Jon Broida's youtube videos on thinning and feel like I would benefit from more content (videos, forum posts, etc.). Any information/referrals are appreciated.

The Hiros look beautiful!

Thank you ahead of time! :doublethumbsup:

This customer had a vision....he wanted to do the Hiromoto Performance Package & handle upgrade with a twist - he wanted to pay tribute to the original Handle King - Fish 'n Poi! Of course I jumped on this opportunity.

Am I up to Fish's standards? No...but I did my best and I think Fish would approve.

The handles are made from HI Koa (Fish's #1 wood choice), figured maple, G10 spacers, and mosaic pins. The design of the split woods on an angle came from the customer searching Fish's old pictures of his work.

The gyuto blade was thinned pre-etching but this one didn't give up that great Hiro AS look we all hope for. It does have a very clean look to it though, I hope that makes up for the lack of craziness.

So what do you guys think?

P1010007_zpsd6363695.jpg

P1010009_zpsef07954d.jpg

P1010012_zpsf1d63f4d.jpg

P1010017_zpsfc8af324.jpg

P1010025_zpsb2ffba1a.jpg

P1010026_zps1ede5dc1.jpg

Wow. How have I not seen this thread before. Awesome work Dave, amazing upgrade for these knives.

That's just incredible Dave. Outstanding!

Can't thank Dave enough for these. Been admiring his work from afar for a while and couldn't resist the urge to get involved...

These are clearly works of art and I have to say what a pleasure it's been working with Dave on our little project.

I just hope I can live up to them...

Thanks Dave :thumbsup:

Can't thank Dave enough for these. Been admiring his work from afar for a while and couldn't resist the urge to get involved...

These are clearly works of art and I have to say what a pleasure it's been working with Dave on our little project.

I just hope I can live up to them...

Thanks Dave :thumbsup:

You signed up - awesome! Thanks again for the opportunity to do something different and most importantly to honor Fish's work. :)

Back