D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh, pretty! I think thuya is my favorite wood - after koa, of course... :) Nice work, Dave!

Stefan

Very nice knife, Dave! Makes feel a bit sad though, since I'm so far down on your list. :rolleyes: How's the balance point on a hidden tang vs a full tang?

Going hidden tang moves the weight forward quite a bit which IMO is a good thing. When making full tang knives, to combat heavy handle syndrome, I taper the tang as much as I can get away with which does almost as good for moving the wight forward.

Don't despair on the wait time too much as I'm trying to get moving faster.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Beautiful knife Dave.
I like the look of the hidden tang way more than the full tang.

The full tangs are more traditional in appearance and are more challenging to get correct but they reduce the amount of wood seen as a package so the hidden tang offers up a greater palate for presentation which is sort of cleaner in appearance. For my knives it's a matter of taste and preferences of the customer as to what's best since the balance and performance will be similar. I love the feedback though, please always feel free to share your thoughts on any subject, it helps me to gauge interest and also to gather ideas for the future.

Just adding in the last two I did last week....

Amboyna burl & maple with African blackwood ferrules.

I was looking forward to the update on this page. Nice work Dave!!

I just finished this one up, it's already spoken for.

240mm Martell western gyuto in O-1 with CA buckeye burl and African blackwood. The buckeye is incredible and I couldn't be happier with having used it.

*Sorry for the blurry blue(ish) pictures....best I could get today.

Martell_gyuto8.JPG

Martell_gytuo11.JPG

Martell_gyuto35.JPG

Martell_gyuto20.JPG

Martell_gyuto6.JPG

Martell_gyuto28.JPG

Martell_gyuto37.JPG

Is it me or do your hidden westerns get smoother and more contoured every time? Nice work!!

Dave, that buckeye is drop dead gorgeous!!!

It came from the knife's owner, he had purchased it through Mark at Burl Source, and was sitting on it for some time. The thing that I liked about it is that not only does it have great color and character but it worked so well for me, just a pleasure to shape and finish.

It came from the knife's owner, he had purchased it through Mark at Burl Source, and was sitting on it for some time. The thing that I liked about it is that not only does it have great color and character but it worked so well for me, just a pleasure to shape and finish.

I thought I recognized the wood.
I had experimented with yogurt and cornmeal to affect the colors from the fungus.
Beautiful work Dave.
I agree with the others. Your work has always been great, but it seems to be getting even better.

I thought I recognized the wood.
I had experimented with yogurt and cornmeal to affect the colors from the fungus.
Beautiful work Dave.
I agree with the others. Your work has always been great, but it seems to be getting even better.

Thanks Mark, your wood sure helps get these results. :)

240mm Martell western O-1 gyuto in dyed Buckeye Burl, African Blackwood ferrule, & nickel silver pin....

Martell_gyuto_buckeye1.JPG

Martell_gyuto_buckeye3.JPG

Martell_gyuto_buckeye8.JPG

Martell_gyuto_buckeye12.JPG

Martell_gyuto_buckeye16.JPG

Martell_gyuto_buckeye26.JPG

Martell_gyuto_buckeye27.JPG

Martell_gyuto_buckeye32.JPG

One day I gotta talk you out of one of those, maybe when you are playing with less rusty steels... ;)

Stefan

Back