G'day from Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've been reading for a while now and even joined back in May but have been putting off a formal hello. There is so much knowledge here my head is spinning. And my wallet is suffering too. I should have heeded the warning 'bout the rabbit hole... it's deep, enticing and there appears to be no escape.
:(

About me: I was imported as accompanied baggage from Poland at an early age and have lived in Melbourne, Australia ever since. Since April I retired from paid employment and have never worked in a commercial kitchen.

Until this year, my knives included an eclectic collection of Wusthoff Tridents, Globals, Mundials, Zangers, Kiwis, a single carbon Tojiro and some Aldi knives to boot. Sharpening gear was a couple of Smiths Arkansas natural stones, some Chinese oilstones, MinoSharp 240, a Lansky Deluxe System, an F Dick oval steel, a Wusthoff Trident round steel and an Aldi ceramic hone. I also have an EZ Lap diamond steel & FuriTech II system - but I haven't used either since reading this forum.

Since I started reading here, I have also boiught: Tojiro DP 165 usuba, Sukenari VG10 240 gyuto, Red Orca aogami 210 gyuto, Tanaka Blue Damascus 165 santoku and on order... Tojiro DP 210 gyuto, Tojiro Shirogami Kurouchi 120 petty, Tojiro Blue 2 Kurouchi 165 nakiri, Guede 220 bread knife. Also some things for sharpening: Naniwa Chosera 400, 1k, 3k, Naniwa 8k Junpaku, King 800, home made leather strop with green paste, several holders and on order... a Khao Men.

Anyone who doubts the power of the rabbit hole be very, very careful. It's seriously wicked and has no respect for one's finances! Despite that, KKF is THE place to be.

Cheers

PS - Guess I'll never be accepted as a real KKF Aussie until I get a Shigefusa.:wink:
PPS - I'd like some help identifying my 30 year old Tojiro knife. Didn't even know it was a Tojiro till recently. Can I post a photo here or does the query belong in another forum? Thanks.

Hello, please to meat you [is that formal 'nough?]

Enjoy your time here, and hopefully, your first Shig soonish.

Welcome to the family. Always nice to see another Aussie here.

oh and PS, I'm not on the Shig collection bandwagon, so great to see there is at least one other Aussie in the same situation.

Welcome to the rabbit hole :)

Consider a Shig as part of your knife education. We have many educators in Oz to assist you ;)

Thank you all for your welcome.

@Badgertooth Enjoy the rabbit hole... ??? Resistance is futile, you will accumulate!

Re: identifying my 30 year old Tojiro knife
Could someone advise me as to where in the forum I could post a photo to try to identify it?
Thanks

Welcome Mate! (I love speaking Australian...)

Post photo in Kitchen Knife section and someone will help.

Funny.

Trekkies everywhere, even on knyfe forums!

And BTW, your original welcome was waaaaaaaaaaay too formal. Thought for sure you couldn't be a real Aussie.:wink:

Ha ha, righto. I am not a real Aussie :eyebrow:

Back