Japanese Knives Gengetsu Sneak Peak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'll try to get measurements up when they go up for sale. They arent lasers... maybe more like something in between our kochi lines (super thin) and Gesshin Heiji (mighty, but thin behind the edge and by all accounts a great cutter)

Was doing a bit of reading to try and install some more terminology since I was confusing Kasumi and Awase (as in Awase vs Honyaki)....found a nice diagram talking about this subject:

cladtypes.jpg

This made me wonder which type of awase the Gengetsu is, san-mai or warikomi?

Would I be correct that San Mai is more typical for knives cut from a sheet of steel and Warikomi is more typical for forged blades?

So for the Gengetsu, there needs to be a bit of care for the carbon at the spine as well as at the edge?

is this too geeky? Should I just get back to looking on my doorstep every 10 minutes? :bliss:

nope... thats not correct. Its more of a regional difference than anything else. However, i doubt you will see too many warikomi knives cut out from sheets of steel ;)

As far as spine care, i've never really found it to be too much of an issue. Sometimes you get a cool line of patina down the spine, but not always.

Also, i could be wrong about gengetsu... i need to take a closer look, but sometimes it can be tough to tell when the spines are finished to look even. I may end up asking the maker if i cant tell for sure.

as i look closer at the blade, it may be warikomi... i can just ask him in a few weeks when we see him.

I was hoping you'd say exactly that. There will be photos if that happens!

My white #2 gengetsu has that patina line down the spine but it is hard to take a good picture of it.

there you go... that answers that. I kept looking really close, but i couldnt tell if my mind was playing tricks on me or what. Glad to have it figured out. None of mine have patina on them and i keep them pretty clean, so its tough to tell even on the ones i use. Thanks andrew.

If anybody out there is reading this who doesn't own one of these, you should be asking yourself:
"Self, what did I ever do to you?"

I feel like a knucklehead for waiting so long myself.
People who know about these things told me to buy one long ago. As in, people from this forum called or emailed and said hurry up and get one of these on the DL before the word gets out. So I knew, and I still did nothing. I meant to get around to, really I did, it just took me so long. Oh what a waste of time.

So don't delay, act now, supplies are running out...

Thanks for providing such a great product and great service Jon and Sara. You guys truly do keep it classy down there in San D.... Errr.... Venice.

+1 on how nice the Gengetsu knives are. I don't own one, but a good friend of mine who is an excellent chef bought a 270 SS suji form Jon solely to slice & portion fish. My friend has no interest in sharpening, so I take care of his his knives for him. When he brought me the Gengetsu suji I was in awe. Such a beautiful knife. So well made made. Never used it myself , but I'm sure it's nothing short of stellar. My friend was blown away by it (as he would be, as he's coming from a western kitchen background and uses old carbon sab's that he just throws in a drawer LOL!).

Very reminiscent of a couple of other very well respected and beloved knife makers from the same area. If only I didn't have so many other hobbies, interests, and expenses... ;)

Can't recommend them highly enough!

Back