Japanese Knives Gesshin Hide 240mm Blue #2 Hon-Kasumi Wa-Gyuto- Special Project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should i keep one for myself?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe, but if i were you, i'd take one of these (post what you would keep in a post below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
haha... i'm honestly surprised at how many of you would buy this knife after i test it out. I still don't think i would sell it if i picked it up.

Why not? Finish sharpening is very common and I think everyone knows you'd look after knives just as good as anyone. Another thing is that when you get a knife "finish sharpened" you have no idea if the knife has been used or not, once it's out of the box it could have been used for ages and you wouldn't know because it's been sharpened anyway

Why not? Finish sharpening is very common and I think everyone knows you'd look after knives just as good as anyone. Another thing is that when you get a knife "finish sharpened" you have no idea if the knife has been used or not, once it's out of the box it could have been used for ages and you wouldn't know because it's been sharpened anyway

+1. Exactly what I was gonna say. I would rather buy a knife from you even if yo had used it a fair amount because I know you care for it. I don't want a pristine knife, I want something that if used, has been well maintained.

Also...I like how you said there were five people who wanted one. You ordered five. Five people voted no for you to keep one. LOL!

well, i put 4 up for sale on the website for the time being while i mull this over

I'll try to get pictures up soon (for that and a few other pictureless products on the site currently)

+1

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a knife test driven for a while by Jon (assuming it arrived cleaned up and sharpened). I might even prefer it.

As to whether you should keep one, one upside (other than growing your collection) would be your ability to write a more thorough description for your website, making them easier to sell. And as has been shown, you could always sell it down the road at a small discount without much trouble.

i have used knives by literally every maker we carry, so i feel comfortable talking about the craftsmanship, grind quality, heat treat, etc. But, yes, its always nice to use each knife. Not always possible, but nice.

That being said, i've used a number of knives from both the blacksmith and sharpener (both in combination with each other and in combination with other people)... thats a big part of why this project started

Why don't you tell me how much my Ino order is going to cost me so I can decide whether I can afford one of these too? ;)

Ok Jon, I'll buy one, pay it off over a few months, and during that time you use it and then send it to me. 6 month payment/test drive period? ...4 month?

my goal is friday (store is closed on thursdays)... here's one of all of them for the time being:
111116_132550.jpg

alright... you guys have me seriously thinking about keeping one. Problem is i know if i keep it, i'll never sell it. Oh well. I think i'm going to give them about 2 weeks after i put up the pictures and if one is left, i'll probably keep it then.

alright... you guys have me seriously thinking about keeping one. Problem is i know if i keep it, i'll never sell it. Oh well. I think i'm going to give them about 2 weeks after i put up the pictures and if one is left, i'll probably keep it then.

Hmm... that two weeks puts you pretty close to Christmas.

eight nights buddy... eight... clearly i need more stuff.

Lets see... so far this month, 5 new knives, 1 new tool, 1 new stone... just one more thing to go :p

Ok... photos are up... also, probably going to keep one (and not sell it later... sorry... i'm a hoarder)

img_0044_15.jpg

img_0045_13.jpg

img_0046_15.jpg

img_0047_14.jpg

img_0049_14.jpg

img_0050_1_11.jpg

img_0057_8.jpg

img_0052_1_10.jpg

img_0053_9.jpg

img_0051_1_10.jpg

img_0056_8.jpg

img_0046_15.jpg

No worries

I have the most stressful 7 days of my life coming up !!!

This is relaxation for me, plus i went in the basement for more wine so im now happy regardless !!

Alan

Jon,

Think you can get one made with a lefty grind?? I was excited for this but it looks pretty seriously right handed.

-Chuck

its actually very 50/50... just the choil is righty

and ordering a lefty one should be no problem at all

anyways, you can just stop by and check one out for yourself ;)

this christmas run tomorrow goes on my street and literally has me trapped all morning before I go to work. But maybe I'll try to sneak over. If not I think I have monday off, first day in a while.

-Chuck

Pics have been downloaded to my phone, can't stop looking at 'em lol.

this christmas run tomorrow goes on my street and literally has me trapped all morning before I go to work. But maybe I'll try to sneak over. If not I think I have monday off, first day in a while.

-Chuck

thanks chuck for making me take one home... its official... i'm keeping one. Played around with it a bit tonight. Cuts even better than i expected... that being said, its only gone through some konnyaku, a few potatoes, and few carrots, and some celery. More testing soon...

Back