Gesshin Hide Blue #2 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not in the passaround, but am curious about people's reactions on this knife. (Two write ups so far, but 2 months into the passaround.)

Just to clarify, the knife being sent around is the old-style, right?

Okay I didn't have as much interaction with the knife as I would have liked. Unfortunately it just showed up one day after I had my ankle surgery and there was nothing I could do with it for a while. When I finally was up and around I gave it a shot and not surprisingly it was a fantastic cutter. I only really cut a few things, onion, tomato, but I was impressed none the least. I know Jon has it listed higher but this particular knife weighed in at 210 grams. From what I seen of it I liked it well enough to say that it could easily join my daily rotation. I didn't sharpen it but it came pretty sharp and really only needed a stropping before I shipped it off. Hope this helps and sorry again for the delay.

Thanks, Theory, and hope the ankle's on then mend.

What other knives do you have in your rotation? Wondering how people would rate the G.Hide compared to others.

Im still pretty new to knives and have only used a handful, but i would put this at the top of the list! I greatly enjoyed using it, even more so than my Watanabe..(is that a sin?) Its a great cutter, I used it at work tues-fri for everything I do and it held its edge with only stropping once a day. I enjoyed the profile of the blade, being mostly flat and having a bit of belly close to the tip. Grind was very nice, seemed to glide through pretty much everything being cut. It was Thicker behind the edge than my watanabe but cut better in almost every aspect, food release was better as well.. Thats about all i got for now, interested in more just ask.
Again, thanks pitonboy!

Jared

Not a sin at all, I'd say. In fact, I'm pretty sure the maker Hide has a much bigger rep in Japan than Watanabe - though probably in the west not the east. Actually, I know less about Watanabe, but have been under the impression that he's known in KKF parts because for a while as he's had his own English-lang website up. Still unusual for Japanese makers, hence the rep around here.

I've got it. Just had a baby. Will be using this weekend and then it'll be on it's way. Chinacats - can you PM me your address? Will let you know when it is en route.

Knife arrived safe and sound today. Unfortunately my schedule is going to be very busy this and the following week and am going to have to send it on without getting to check it out. Knife will go out tomorrow to ER.

Got it, safe and sound. There is some surface rust on the knife, and it's gotten a bit thick behind the edge. I'll take care of the former, but I'm hoping that the latter isn't a big enough problem to require attention yet. Won't know until I use it!

What's happening with this pass around? Is this the knife Jon has just posted in his sub-forum? Just curious, because we haven't heard anything about it in 3 1/2 +/- months.

I'll say this, after my experience with the blade I purchased one of my own.

I returned it to Pitonboy, as the knife had become very thick over the pass around period, and it needed work.

Thanks for the update, J.

I too would like to see the pass around continued, as I would really like to to see a Hide in person. But I completely understand if Pitonboy wants to not continue as it will probably get beat up again.

Just sayin' - whenever I use some one else's gear - what ever it is - I always treat it with far more care and respect than I do even my own. If someone is gracious enough to lend me one of their own valued possessions, it's the least I can do to return it it's original condition. Now I'm not trying to say anyone is at fault, or to try and convince Pitonboy to continue the pass around, like I said, I'm just sayin'.

Peace and good karma to all! ;)-

Rick - which one did you get, and what's the profile like?

I got one second hand with an ebony handle. I think it was the original profile but Jon would have to confirm. It was a bit thicker than most so I thinned it down to under 110 grams. Cuts really well but doesn't look OG.

I got one second hand with an ebony handle. I think it was the original profile but Jon would have to confirm. It was a bit thicker than most so I thinned it down to under 110 grams. Cuts really well but doesn't look OG.

What do you mean when you say the knife, "Cuts really well but doesn't look Original Gangster?" :spin chair:

Well, it cuts super nice and all but the finish is now a scotch brite satin as opposed to the original gangster kasumi finish. In addition the kanji is all goodbye and stuff.

I thought maybe you just pulled its pants up.... :)

i recently got my own passaround knife back and it was thick as hell too, been sharpened plenty of times but nobody bothered to thin along the way. that's kind of expected though wouldn't you say? i mean, you're going to want to test out the steel and thinning can be intimidating to most i'd imagine especially on a knife that costs a lot.

i recently got my own passaround knife back and it was thick as hell too, been sharpened plenty of times but nobody bothered to thin along the way. that's kind of expected though wouldn't you say? i mean, you're going to want to test out the steel and thinning can be intimidating to most i'd imagine especially on a knife that costs a lot.

If your referring to the tanaka, I did notice this, however I wasn't sure of that was acceptable and wouldn't do that to someone's knife. I normally barely touch knives in pass around to preserve the steel and keep existing bevels.

If I get another from you id def. help out though :)

I'm bummed i missed this one as well.

Back