Gesshin Ittetsu 27cm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it fri last week. Have yet to sharpen it, pretty dull. am loving the feel so far. will report back on how the stones turn out.

It wasnt my intention to press you down to send the knife further. Its not about the time. But it would be nice with a short msg in the thread about whats going on :)

Eaglerock we can fix that.
1. Norway is not in EU.
2. I can send it to someone else in UK first so you will get the knife little later but cheaper.

If you will send it to the Uk first then that would work well.

I can call Monday to ask about Norway and the Eu thing.

Thank you :)

U didn't rush me. I just realized how long I had it. Been moving and othrr stuff.

Was just reading this thread to see where I am on the list, didn't even think about the mailing to Finland thing. If it is going to the UK first, just let me know where to send it

Sent this off to Miles today. I was looking at my handles and noticing that they were needing some oil. I used some board butter on the saya and the handle. I also cleaned up some of the stuff on the blade with my jade finger stone. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked, it needs some buffing for a finish. will post pics, and some final thoughts in a comparison with Gesshin Heiji, like I said in my first post on this thread.

Just received it. Arrived in good shape. It had a nice edge on it, but I wanted to be able to start with it from a known point so I could get a good feel for the retention. I gave it a quick touch up on a finish stone and fixed the chipped tip. It's ready to go. Am going to swap it out for the HD in my kit for the next few days and put it through the paces at work. Initial impressions are that it's much lighter than I had anticipated, but it does have a solid feel. It doesn't feel like a knife that will have to be babied. The profile is appreciably thin behind the edge but not runway model thin. The machi is substantial. It's not fancy or flashy looking, but it definitely has a very business like vibe to it. I'm looking forward to testing it out.

I'm looking forward to trying it. Did I send you my addy? Can't remember

I got it, Joe. I'll give you a heads up when I'm ready to ship it out.

First impressions after spending the day with it: It's got a bit of flex which surprised me a bit. I didn't notice it when I sharpened the blade. The edge hung in there very nicely which is saying something since I have to work on poly boards at work. The blade fell through everything I had on my board today. Very efficient feel to it. We were doing an Asian class so lots of veg prep. It just blew through that like it wasn't even there. It has that wonderful quality that some blades have where the knife just does the work almost as the thought initiates it. I like that. A lot. Did very nicely on beef and chicken, as well. I really enjoyed it. The sides are a bit reactive. Not as bad as some, but definitely more than others. Jon definitely has a winner here.

I didn't want to take any more steel off on the tip, is why it was like that.

No worries. It took all of five minutes to sort out, so no big deal. The tip is good as new. After using it for a couple more days, I have to say it's a really fun knife. I let a couple of the other chefs in my kitchen cut a couple things on my station. They all oohed and ahhed. I've stropped it once since the initial touch up sharpening. Unfortunately, this week wasn't as prep heavy as I'd like so I didn't get a chance to give it a REALLY hard test, but based upon my experience, I'm pretty sure it would have plowed through it with no trouble. My only criticism, and this is really, really nit picky: Since it's san mai construction, an equally soft stainless for the sides would give a tremendous increase in ease of maintenance over the soft iron/carbon steel sides. That's my only real issue. As I continued to work with it, I noted the iron (?) sides don't really seem to patina to the point where they become non reactive. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, but a different steel for the sides with less or no reactivity would be something of an improvement. The cutting performance is top notch. You could easily blow through a lot of prep with this knife. It has a beautifully organic, hand made quality to it that begs for it to be put to work. It's lightweight and very comfortable in hand. Just a real pleasure to use. As much as I've enjoyed using it, I can't honestly say that I'd be able to justify the cost of buying one new, but if one came up on BST at a fair price, I'd certainly consider picking it up.

Sorry so late with some pics. I know if I sent out a knife I would like to see what it is looking like.
First 2 are from before I did some clean up.
phone 283.jpgphone 284.jpg

some pics with my 270 Tanaka, after some clean up, and some board butter on the handle.

phone 290.jpgcouple of the tip. phone 292.jpg
phone 291.jpgphone 293.jpgphone 294.jpgphone 295.jpg

I really wanted to leave the blue, and show the hammon. But I really didn't have time for that. It was a pleasure to be able to try this Ittetsu.
A comparison with the Heiji from John, is really not something to compare to. One is Heiji is very thick verses this one, I would say at least half the thickness at least.
attachment.php

Both held a edge, and got nicely sharp.

Just shipped out to Joe. Thanks for letting me have a bit of fun with it. I'm sorry to see it leave, as I would have liked to work with it for a few more days, but it would probably be another whole week before I'd have a chance to ship it if it didn't happen today. I'm sure Joe will enjoy it as much as I did.

Sweet. I've got three PA coming now. Time to make some soup, lol. At least the first big wedding of the season is next week, so I'll have lots to do with them. Thanks for letting me know.

Picked it up from the post office on my way to work today. Firs impression is not what I was expecting. Not bad, just was thinking something else. Seems to have a good edge on it from Miles too. Going to try it out later, after a few days I'll do a write up

Did we figure out what's going on with it going to eagle rock yet?

Im going to get on that one right now and will let you know.

On its way to Poland. Review on the way later once I get home

Not sure, I was given a PM with with a Poland address.

Anyone know if this made it to the next person? Haven't seen any updates in a while. I still need to do my review, if I can remember tht long ago

OK so the knife is a no-show.

I was without webaccess for the last three weeks so theres the reason for the delay.
Jmadams I really hope youve sent it registered and you could now track it down. Cheers

Yeah, I would like to know myself. The guy that supposedly sent the knife werent of much help and not answered here or to my PM.

Back