Getting a Masamoto KS from Rakuten?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went on the site and couldn't find many knives at all, much less the KS. what am I doing wrong?

They won't fulfill guys, me and a couple buddies tried. Too good to be true I guess. We are in the states, so maybe it is different elsewhere.

I can comfirm , looks like they will ship to Canada. I managed to snag one before they where gone. Ordered yesterday morning ,got my shipping notice this morning.

I got my sugimoto no 7 cleaver from the same store (didn't end up saving that much). Took around a week to get in. I'm a pretty satisfied customer.

Jayhay: well my Masamoto KS 240 gyuto is in the mail right now. Already out of Japan. I will post an update when I receive i. Shipping price, going to Canada, was $22.

Jayhay: well my Masamoto KS 240 gyuto is in the mail right now. Already out of Japan. I will post an update when I receive i. Shipping price, going to Canada, was $22.

Nice :doublethumbsup: Glad someone got one! Enjoy the knife, it's good fun. Not a huge fan of the handle, besides aesthetics. Steel gets very sharp and holds it about as long as most whites. Great profile if you don't like a lot of belly or a tall heel, which is me. The knife feels and looks sexy too. One of my friends doesn't like knives much, kinda fears them. But he LOVES this knife! He picks it up and actually admires it. It has a certain special quality to it.

Hope you enjoy it.

Can anyone tell me how the length on the KS's run - long, short, true?

I dont own one, but they run notoriously long. Many people have reported the 240 at ~250.

They run a tad long. More like 250ish, but they don't feel large at all.

I see they have a 270 KS yanagiba for about $220

Tempting to double my budget on the sujihiki I am thinking about - I wonder if a yanagiba would be good for roast slicing and other general tasks....

For the record only: sharpening a single bevel is not so much a problem, initial sharpening, 'opening' it, is.

I agree with this somewhat. I don't find that sharpening them is a problem, but the technique and equipment differ. You need a finer stone to do uraoshi sharpening and you need a stone flattener to ensure that your stones are flat.

And, my single bevel knives have an upper and lower bevel. From what I've learned, you have to learn to sharpen both and also use proper technique so you don't mess up the shinogi line.

Just received my knife!

Beware of customs and duties ~$70 for a $218 Gyuto in Canada!!

This is my first gyuto ever, and I am quite impressed so far.

Congrats! You've made a helluva good choice for you first gyuto. You're quickly going to become jaded.

Just received my knife!

Beware of customs and duties ~$70 for a $218 Gyuto in Canada!!

This is my first gyuto ever, and I am quite impressed so far.

So, including shipping, customs and duties it was $310 ($218 for the knife, $22 for shipping, $70 for customs and duties)?

Seems that way, but being in Canada, wouldn't he have had to pay 70$ duties buying from the states, ontop of the knife already costing 300$?

Mine was a total of $234 shipped and delivered. I had ordered one from Koki and was told that it would be 3 weeks for it to get to them and then ship to me. I got a refund, ordered it from Rakuten and it will be here tomorrow.

Since it appears that Marko and Marios current backlog on knives will not allow either of those to be hitting my cutting board in the near future, I broke down and picked one of them up too. I figured at a minimum it gives me something I can play with it until those come in. I will let you know if I get hit with any additional charges on delivery, but I have not from previous purchases.

So, including shipping, customs and duties it was $310 ($218 for the knife, $22 for shipping, $70 for customs and duties)?

That's right. There were the duties, some taxes and handling fees (?!) as well.

Jeez, I just barely missed this opportunity. I was filling out the order form, went back to check and see if there was some duties to pay for US shipping, and I guess someone got that last one while I was doing that! I hope everyone that was able to get one enjoys their new knife. hopefully they will come back in stock soon!

Back