Getting around a folder's thumb stud?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My ol' faithful benchmade (and now really just practice folder for sharpening) with a thumb stud is a PITA to get around. Anyone have any suggestions of getting around it?
Thanks.

Not gonna lie, for most of my folders, I still use the good ol edge pro. I got tired of overly large bolsters, thumb studs, etc either getting scratched up, or taking chips out of the edges of my stones.

How low are you going that this is an issue? I typically sharpen my folders @ 26-40 degrees inclusive depending upon the steel, and the studs when present don't get in the way. I keep more robust edges on them than my kitchen knives typically, since I'm going through thick carboard and zipties. I also sharpen at an angle typically, which helps keep any protuberances off to the side.

- Steampunk

I usually put the blade down at an angle, compared to yhe side of the stone, so that the thumb stud is out of the side while the whole edge is on the stone. Alternatively, you can take the thumb stud off, if it's not piened to the blade. Just, warm it up with a soldering iron to soften any thread lock and then unscrew it.

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I need to reduce the angle, especially on the heel, and spend less time on it; it is an EDC, not a laser for tomatoes after all.

I tried a more obtuse angle to get around the thumb stud but it was not very useful... you can mostly cut with the blade almost vertical, which, in my case, did not work...

Latest posts

Back