Getting Back into Vinyl. What Amazing Albums to Buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 here for many happy years, I would like to hear the REGA.

I really felt like I should have gotten the Graham Slee, but to tell you the truth, I am not sure if I could hear the difference. I just have no relative baseline at this point. The Rega is performing very well though. Both the Graham Slee and Rega got top marks from What Hi-Fi.

k.

Bill, you should get an ortofon 2m bronze or audio technica 150mlx so that you can try my phono haha. I find MMs have more personality. MCs are subdued in comparison even though they are generally technically superior. But technical stuff goes out the window when it comes to subjective nuances..

Dynas have good tonality but I think they are lacking in dynamics (the stuff that makes you want to dance)

The wife has been wanting some Beatles music for the turntable, so I decided to get her the Beatles Mono set for her b-day. Shhh, don't tell her. I also got some Johnny Cash.

k.

They are real mono presses, right? Did you get a mono setup as well? (sorry, too lazy to read back through the thread to see)

They are real mono presses, right? Did you get a mono setup as well? (sorry, too lazy to read back through the thread to see)

Most of the Beatles albums were mixed for mono playback, so they have just gone back to the original mixes. This was the NPR article I read last night that convinced me to try it out.

k.

Right. With your setup, doesn't that require a swapping to a separate mono cartridge? And if so, will it work ok with your phono amp? Since these are for the wife it makes those questions pop into my head, as not many would go through the trouble of swapping and setting up a different cartridge.

Right. With your setup, doesn't that require a swapping to a separate mono cartridge? And if so, will it work ok with your phono amp? Since these are for the wife it makes those questions pop into my head, as not many would go through the trouble of swapping and setting up a different cartridge.

Roger. I understand now. You are correct in that my pre-amp doesn't have mono and nor do I have a mono cartridge. I am sure I would likely get better sound with that set up, but I know I will never dismount and remount cartridges and align them for just this set of LPs (albeit 14 records). I read some threads on Audiogon and people were raving about the LP set and many of the members were just using their stereo cartridges and thought it sounded amazing. Plus I have read that these newer mono pressings are different than older mono pressings, which makes a mono cart not as necessary as with older LPs. I guess I will see though. Maybe I will love the set so much I'll get another TT setup ;)

k.

The vinyl sounds better than lots of digital junk. If you want to spend a few bucks on new vinyl I recommend Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love...But make sure you get the mono version, not stereo. Get the Classic Records version not the Sony re-issue.

The oppo is a fine digital player, I've got the older Oppo 93 unit and it's solid. I'd recommend getting a carbon dust brush and a needle brush to keep the stylus clean.

The vinyl sounds better than lots of digital junk. If you want to spend a few bucks on new vinyl I recommend Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold as Love...But make sure you get the mono version, not stereo. Get the Classic Records version not the Sony re-issue.

The oppo is a fine digital player, I've got the older Oppo 93 unit and it's solid. I'd recommend getting a carbon dust brush and a needle brush to keep the stylus clean.

I am definitely falling into the camp that thinks vinyl sounds better. But I have yet to fully factor out my biases. I just dropped enough coin on a TT, setup, and vinyl that my mind is telling me it sounds better regardless of how things actually sound.

With that said, I am listening to some Johnny Cash Folsom Prison right now it is awesome.

k.

There are some crappy sounding vinyl mastering as well, its not guaranteed to sound better than digital version, especially if it was originally recorded digitally and not tape.

There are some crappy sounding vinyl mastering as well, its not guaranteed to sound better than digital version, especially if it was originally recorded digitally and not tape.

That is true. There are a few places that I really like buying from, but Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and Acoustic Sounds release some amazing stuff. Elusive Disc also stocks good pressings it seems.

k.

Musicdirect

I did order some stuff from MusicDirect a couple of times, but I will frankly never use them again. Out of 7 things I ordered 5 were actually out of stock even though the website said they were in stock. Their online inventory is not even close to up to date. I also ordered my original Peachtree DAC from them and it came in pretty bad shape. Granted it was a demo model (and I knew that), but major chips on the face around the edges and no documentation manuals or anything, was pretty bad IMO. They didn't disclose that, and it would have been rated a 6 (maybe 7 at best) on AudioGon. I ended up sending it back. It was easily worth $100-200 less than they were selling it for. And even the two items they did have in stock, took way too long to ship.

With that said, they do carry a lot of good pressings (if they are actually in stock).

k.

Btw, I am loving that Beatles Mono set. And the wife LOVED IT for her b-day. Started spinning vinyl early and scared the sh!t out of one kids who was still asleep.

k.

My two most listened to records this weekend:

Phosphorescent - Muchacho

Ethereal, psychedelic alt.country, with some singalong moments.

Both sound pretty amazing on vinyl.

Darkside - Psychic

Roomy, psych, guitar based ambient with a fantastic bass-game and some electronic tweaky noises.

Some of the earlier Florence and the Machine stuff on vinyl is fairly well done and her voices sounds as hauntingly beautiful and powerful as ever.

Also, everyone that owns vinyl owe's it to themselves to pick up some great hip-hop and rap albums in this format, it just sounds so right....
(Wu-Tang, NAS, Scarface etc...)

morphine - cure for pain
also morphine - good (boderline terrible recording)

both are easily found, Yes also had a vinyl release but its can be expensive to find

i love sandman's music. i even bought Good, and am looking for Yes. The Cure for Pain vinyl release is very listenable

Glad to hear you enjoying the Beatles!

How about Velvet Underground and Nico, the one with the banana on the cover? And of course the rest of the Velvet's discs as well.

Dylan- Blonde on Blonde

:dance:

Flying lotus- youre dead YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED ! or anything thundercat

Easy to find old vinyl, easy to find rare vinyl. Very hard to find (affordable) pressings with dynamic range and sound stage. Try ECM pressings of Keith Jarrett. ECM does a good job. I think someone above mentioned Music Direct - also a credible source for decent 180 and 200 g vinyl.

We do a vinyl night about once a week on average, mixed taste in our group, but mostly steer towards classic rock or 80's pop. Vinyl shopping on the boardwalk is still a summer pastime and after we find a good pressing, usually seek out other variants to do A/B listenings to pick out the difference. Year pressed, country pressed in, even the color of the vinyl (which probably has more to do with the which came off the press first).

Listening at home is on a highly modified SL1210M5G with Ortofon Quintet Blue, McIntosh C100 preamp, McIntosh MC252 amp, and Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers. All Transparent Audio interconnects, speaker cables and power cables.

Our usual hangout/friends listening room is MUCH more high-end and is really where the subtle nuances in different pressing come out.

My go to favorites:
Cash, American IV. Red vinyl (have demo'd multiple colors of this album, our listening group unanimously agreed red was audibly better pressing). "Hurt" is by far my favorite cover ever recorded by any artist

Alkaline Trio, Damnesia. Acoustic recordings of a lot of their more popular songs.

Led Zeppelin, Mothership. Comparing this to the originals and other reissues, this album stands head and shoulders above the others.

Metallica Box sets (45 RPM, 180g sets). Some of the few re-releases that actually sound better than the originals. S&M is a 6 LP set and you truly feel like you're there live.

Pixies (all of them), I had most of the albums already but the Mineateur set release put out the best sounding pressings yet

Nirvana Unplugged NY, 180g Germany pressing

US Rattle & Hum is an interesting album. Some songs are stellar, others are absolute garbage...but cool to sit down and listen straight through and instantly tell a huge difference between where it was recorded and by whom.

Green Day, Demolicious (RSD exclusive)

Green Day, American Idiot

Dire Straights Brothers In Arms, 180g 2 LP set

Doors, Strange Days (RSD) reissue is great, the RSD version is the original Mono mix.

*Discogs.com is one of my favorite sites. My entire collection is up there with notes so I can pull it up and browse when shopping in the store to see if I have it and what condition mine is in (not to mention check pricing). I also like the extensive commentary on different versions so I can compare different pressings and find the right pressing anywhere in the world.

My all-time "favorite" album though isn't because of audio quality. This is Steve Caballero's band, The Faction. One of the coolest professional athletes/celebrities I've ever met. Went out of his way to personally mail me one of their original 45's, and signed it. Gotta get around to having this framed sometime soon!
IMG_0431.jpg

mille162, first off, that is a sweet set-up you have. Really nice. I need to spin some vinyl with you next time we head south :)

I also like your music taste. Since posting this I have gotten some of the albums you mention: Cash IV, A good selection of Green Day including a first release Kerplunk in near mint, Pixies Surfer Rosa (I should get more though), and some Alkaline Trio. My wife has fallen in love with Dan Andriano, so we also have his new release coming any day now. And since I was literally on Epitaph's site making an order (the page is still open as I type), I might as well throw in Damnesia too. I almost pulled the trigger on it a couple of months ago, but it slipped through the cracks.

My newest albums have been leaning punk: Bad Cop/Bad Cop, Stiff Little Fingers' Inflammable Material, The Menzingers, Bouncing Souls, NOFX's Punk in Drublic, some Ramones, and the new Screaming Females. I also got a couple Jawbreaker albums and a used Kevin Seconds record. They keep coming :) Next on order is a Dwarves album (The Dwarves are Young and Good Looking) along with Milo Goes to College by the Descendents. And then probably some Buzzcocks and Naked Raygun.

k.

Unless I have minded it, I am surprised not to see anyone recommend Deep Purple, Made in Japan. Possibly the best live album of all time. I still have my original vinyl records, but no turntable. I keep meaning to remedy that.

Unless I have minded it, I am surprised not to see anyone recommend Deep Purple, Made in Japan. Possibly the best live album of all time. I still have my original vinyl records, but no turntable. I keep meaning to remedy that.

I will now have to mention Talking Heads "The Name of this Band" double live. The second record has Adrian Belew on guitar, and he was on fire the entire tour.

mille162, first off, that is a sweet set-up you have. Really nice. I need to spin some vinyl with you next time we head south :)

I also like your music taste. Since posting this I have gotten some of the albums you mention: Cash IV, A good selection of Green Day including a first release Kerplunk in near mint, Pixies Surfer Rosa (I should get more though), and some Alkaline Trio. My wife has fallen in love with Dan Andriano, so we also have his new release coming any day now. And since I was literally on Epitaph's site making an order (the page is still open as I type), I might as well throw in Damnesia too. I almost pulled the trigger on it a couple of months ago, but it slipped through the cracks.

My newest albums have been leaning punk: Bad Cop/Bad Cop, Stiff Little Fingers' Inflammable Material, The Menzingers, Bouncing Souls, NOFX's Punk in Drublic, some Ramones, and the new Screaming Females. I also got a couple Jawbreaker albums and a used Kevin Seconds record. They keep coming :) Next on order is a Dwarves album (The Dwarves are Young and Good Looking) along with Milo Goes to College by the Descendents. And then probably some Buzzcocks and Naked Raygun.

k.

Mr Drinky, LMK when you're in the area. I haven't set up anything in Miami yet, everything is in Philly area still at my original place (back and forth 1/2 time).

There are 6 Cash cover albums in the series, they're all good. Check Discogs for the color options and where they were in the pressings. The earlier pressings are audibly better when compared side by side. On IV I know it was the clear red, I can't remember which colors I ended up with for the others.

I see the Descendants all over the racks, although I'm a fan, didn't think they were a band I'd appreciate in vinyl. LMK what you think of the recordings and if they're better than a normal MP3. For me to buy it on vinyl, the recording has to be superior to a MP3. I've bought a few albums I'm not even a fan of the music, but it was such a great stereo recording I enjoy playing it on my system.

Another one I forgot to mention is Dinosaur Jr. I've got most of their and J.'s solo recordings and all are very well mixed and play extremely well.

For Green Day, I'm amazed at how great their recordings come across, the American Idiot album is phenomenal and last RSD they had a live Tokyo album that could be mistaken for a studio recording. So far, I haven't noticed a difference in their original pressings and the new 180g reissues.

Set an ebay alert for the Pixies Minotaur deluxe box set, it's the size of a small suitcase and looks great on your coffee table, but more importantly it's 5 albums done at 180g from the original tapes and then the CD and DVDaudio of same albums for nice side by side comparisons.

...LMK what you think of the recordings and if they're better than a normal MP3. For me to buy it on vinyl, the recording has to be superior to a MP3. I've bought a few albums I'm not even a fan of the music, but it was such a great stereo recording I enjoy playing it on my system.
I have to say that I absolutely love when I get records that I feel sound better on my TT than through some data file, but at this point my emphasis is simply getting back into active listening of music. I think I mentioned this up thread, but I felt my music listening in the past was getting too ADD and very similar to channel surfing on the TV. I fully recognize that some of the albums I buy don't necessarily sound better on vinyl (most punk albums probably don't) BUT I listen to them more, can have lyrics and liner notes at hand, and the fact the record demands that I be attendance to flip it engages me more. I like that. I'm retraining myself to listen to music as I did when I was a child.

And right now I am buying a lot of classic albums that I want to enjoy more fully. For instance, last night I just bought a couple Husker Du albums. I even live in Minneapolis and may not even have a complete album of theirs -- maybe zen arcade I do, but I never listen to it as the songs are littered through playlists and even different computers. Now, do I think that SST Records (who owns the rights to those albums) is going to have the finest remastering, QC, or pressings for vinyl of the Descendents or Husker Du: nope, but they do have the albums reissued on vinyl at a reasonable price.

With that said, there are certain albums that I do ensure I buy something really good, and I usually shop the better presses for them (Mofi or Accoustic Sounds for instance), but now I am also going to keep an better eye out on Discogs for advice since you mentioned it. In the past I have mostly used Discogs for simply finding the latest company releasing an album as so many record labels went under, got bought up, and now have reappeared -- albeit buried -- in some company's catalog.

And btw, one album I absolutely love in vinyl is Priscilla Ahn's A Good Day from Mofi. It's simply beautiful.

k.

Back