• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Ginga 180 stainless petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ginga = SIH = Tadasuna for laser petty. All good for lasers, but too flexi for petty (for me).

GLWB

Sorry to offset the buy, but Dave could you elaborate please

All three, the Ginga in its many iterations, the Suisin Inox and the Tad are nice laser pettys. Lasers inherently have some flex to them. The things I do with a petty, removing silverskin, trimming proteins, board work with a couple tomato or onion, etc,, I want a stiff petty to do them with.

Many like the lighter, thinner petty and can stand a little flex. I've had a couple over the years and found I didn't.

Tetogi just got in two 210 pettys as well although buying from the EU might of course not be your cheapest option.
Ashis at Tetogi
Thanks! Do you have any idea what's going on with this tetogi product page? The title says it's white steel. The pictures show a yo handle. But the description says it's stainless and a western handle.

I've been hunting for a stainless ashi 210 petty, so this might be the perfect find.

Thanks! Do you have any idea what's going on with this tetogi product page? The title says it's white steel. The pictures show a yo handle. But the description says it's stainless and a western handle.

I've been hunting for a stainless ashi 210 petty, so this might be the perfect find.
The price is nutso as well...$152 with an ebony handle. The other one with the Magnolia handle is $187...What?! Usually Hitohira rebrands are more expensive not less and with the more expensive handle this makes little sense. I as well am very temped to pull the trigger on this.

I've sent them an email asking for clarification

Last edited:
Other than the steel ambiguity, the only thing keeping me from getting this is balance. I have a Ho wood handle 180 version and the blade is so light even with the feather light handle the balance is slightly handle heavy. I have to imagine with an ebony handle even with an inch more blade length the weight/balance point is going to be a bit wonky.

Last edited:
I ordered one. We'll see what comes of it. The balance with the handle definitely might be off. But, it's a beautiful handle that I could put on one of my other blades that need a handle upgrade. Or maybe they'll cancel the order because of their errors.

I ordered one. We'll see what comes of it. The balance with the handle definitely might be off. But, it's a beautiful handle that I could put on one of my other blades that need a handle upgrade. Or maybe they'll cancel the order because of their errors.
Just one thing to note, if it's actually Shirogami, I really recommend cleaning off the lacquer ASAP. I did not on my 180mm at first and it kinda came off in strips from use and cleaning and those strips then formed patina while the rest remained shiny. It was not exactly a look I was aiming for. Ultimately I removed the lacquer, hit the whole blade with Barkeepers friend to remove the ugly partial patina and started over. It is now building patina over the whole blade properly and looks much better.

Oh! and it looks like you got the last one! Thanks for saving me from myself. If however it does turn out to be Carbon and you prefer stainless, hit me up. I actually would prefer it to be carbon so may take it off your hands if you dont want it.

Oh! and it looks like you got the last one! Thanks for saving me from myself. If however it does turn out to be Carbon and you prefer stainless, hit me up. I actually would prefer it to be carbon so may take it off your hands if you dont want it.
Duly noted

Just one thing to note, if it's actually Shirogami, I really recommend cleaning off the lacquer ASAP. I did not on my 180mm at first and it kinda came off in strips from use and cleaning and those strips then formed patina while the rest remained shiny. It was not exactly a look I was aiming for. Ultimately I removed the lacquer, hit the whole blade with Barkeepers friend to remove the ugly partial patina and started over. It is now building patina over the whole blade properly and looks much better.
Thanks. Actually have a shirogami deba it was going to use for the first time this weekend and was wondering if I should remove the lacquer. I know a lot of people don't and that is safe, but you make a great point about weird patina.

Thanks. Actually have a shirogami deba it was going to use for the first time this weekend and was wondering if I should remove the lacquer. I know a lot of people don't and that is safe, but you make a great point about weird patina.
This may just be an Ashi specific problem. Like maybe they just apply a very thin layer and it ends up kinda peeling off instead of wearing away slowly over time? Your Deba may be very different.

I tend to want patina forming as fast as possible on my carbons so want the lacquer gone regardless but understand this may not be everyone's preference. In the Ashi's case the lacquer was just kinda defective IMO so I'd recommend everyone remove it.

Back