Great Shun deal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That "dual density" knife is genuinely weird, and ugly too boot, no?

This.

Anyone wanting Shun would be better off trying out a proper gyuto instead, not that ginsu-esque garbage. That thing is basically a "made for TV" knife with a pretty/shiny finish.

I dont have experience with the Edo line, but I do have a Kaji Dual Density and like it alot, I find myself grabbing it more often than my other bread knife. Great cutting through some tough breads without crushing the inside.

The Edo set is more of a flashy version to catch peoples eye at that price point.

I own 4 edo steak knives when they went on sale for $99. I knew I was taking a risk, but for $25 per they are not to bad. I would not recommend these to be honest.

Great deal for Shun, but terrible for the consumer stuck with the knife

At the culinary school here the student's get 70% off on Shuns. Part of the reason I have sharpened so many of them.Plus they are sold everywhere in department stores & specialty culinary shops.So a 10" Shun Premier is around 120.00 at the school.It is hard for me to compete trying to get them into some decent knives.Have sold Fujiwara.Carbonext,Suisin Inox,Kanetsugu Pro-M,& a Ghessin Uraku.

I also let them cut all kinds of produce with my Gesshin Ginga,Hiromoto AS spa treatment,& Sakai Yusuke WS special thin.I am not selling any of these 3 knives,just to show them what it like to handle a good tool.

They sell all kinds of shuns to the students,that dual density is par for the coarse for some of the weird profiles I have seen.I would feel like an idiot taking some of those blades into a production kitchen.

I tell them that a dull Shun with alot of Bling will bring no respect,where as a sharp plain looking,well preforming carbonext or Ghessin Uraku will bring respect when someone uses it.All the knives I have sold the students know how to sharpen them.Plus many with forshners & Shuns.Slowly but surely starting to make a little difference over there.

Just to be clear

i have no Shun's nor will be getting any\

Just thought that for a Xmas gift or whatever for a non Knife person it was a good deal.

Have to be honest. I've been very vocal about my diseaste for Shun. But I've found my 7" Asian cooks knife to be very good with root veg and squash/sweet potato. Also doubles as a dairy knife. i would rather eat broken glass than load my whole kit with Shun though.

I find an interesting dynamic on some boards where people refuse to acknowledge that in some cases, a certain choice will be sufficient. There are a lot of factors which go into picking a "best" fit knife.

Sharpness
Durability
Ease of Sharpening (Vendor offered sharpening for someone who doesnt want to DIY)
Price
Flash

I have a Shun that has outperformed some others I have used by far, and I happened to pick it up very cheap (at some point a good deal on a lesser knife makes for a better choice)

^ The shun classic paring knife get some respect around here. The reason many don't care for most of the Shun lines is they are German profiled knives that happen to be made in Japan. Many people mistakenly buy these thinking they are going to be getting a Japanese knife (profile, steel hardness, etc). There are almost always better buys in their price range, but in the end it's all personal preference. If your Shun knife works for you then that's all that matters.

Edit: Many users here started with Shun knives (myself included). You will often see them referred to as "gateway knives".

'Flash' - that's what I look for on a knife.

KAI capitalizes on the fact that people want something that looks cool regardless how it performs, for people like that performance is secondary. Porsche body, Volkswagen Engine

KAI capitalizes on the fact that people want something that looks cool regardless how it performs, for people like that performance is secondary. Porsche body, Volkswagen Engine

There is a market, and vain people who want to look good, so if thats the top price point knife at WS or whatever, they just want to look good. I couldnt agree more that for the people here in majority, performance trumps looks.

I guess in the end, to each their own, buy what makes you happy.

Though I have never used a Shun over time,I do find the chef knives easy to sharpen,raises a burr quickly & takes a good edge.I think VG-10 steel quality depends on the maker.I have used a Tojiro VG-10 core cleaver quite a bit.It has a great convex edge,little over 1# is a good cutter.Maybe cuz its a big hunk of VG-10,been pleased with it's performance.No chipping even cutting frozen Mango's,Banana's,Strawberries,peaches etc. for smoothies.

I have had some crap stainless cleavers,one chipped even wt. wider bevels,The Richmond AEB-L skinny octagon handle,didn't care for it at all.Gave it away.About to give up on stainless cleavers,got the Tojiro & luv it.Like the extra weight,good blade geometry,& the VG-10 steel is pretty darn good.

Porsche looks and Volkswagen engine can be great when you were driving a Yugo or an old moped until then... ;)

Stefan

Porsche looks and Volkswagen engine can be great when you were driving a Yugo or an old moped until then... ;)

Stefan

Hah that made me laugh this morning! Probably a bit of a step up to the hand-me-down big box 40.99 for 24+(bonus 12 piece) set. When I first first first started looking the Edo "caught my eye" then I started reading, now I have a little more knowledge behind me, and a few different choices

Most people that first hear of Japaneses knives run to the closest department store and Shun is all that is there so that is what they buy feeling very good about having Japaneses knives. It takes them a while to learn that you don't get the best knives and Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Back