Grilling on a salt block?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see it pop up every “grilling season”. People use it a couple times, then not. Sometimes they break. They are just another high thermal mass surface.

The salt blocks look nice and, for an up-market restaurant, make for a nice change in presentation, but are too impractical, in my opinion.

They are fragile, can split, and take a long time to heat up and cool down again. If the heat is not high enough, you'll end up with over-salted food, and you can't quickly increase the heat. And there is no option to move food from a hot zone to a cooler zone. They are a pain to store, too, especially in a humid climate. You need to pack it air-tight in plastic, otherwise you end up with the block sitting in a puddle. (Salt is strongly hygroscopic.)

If the high heat capacity is what you are after, you can use slate or granite instead, which have almost the same heat capacity as salt, but are much less fragile and easier to store.

Overall, I'd say they are a fad. No BBQ nirvana to be found here…

Last edited:
I just wonder what the hell we'll be cooking on 10 years from now, when the current fads are played out that generate Instagram clicks and YouTube ad income for the channel, and aren't really any better than conventional cooking methods.

Has someone figured out a way to cook over home-generated molten rock lava yet? Hawaiian Lava BBQ? Maybe I should figure that out so I can monetize it.

I just wonder what the hell we'll be cooking on 10 years from now, when the current fads are played out that generate Instagram clicks and YouTube ad income for the channel, and aren't really any better than conventional cooking methods.

Has someone figured out a way to cook over home-generated molten rock lava yet? Hawaiian Lava BBQ? Maybe I should figure that out so I can monetize it.

Have you seen the grill gun and SV gun? A modified weedburner.

Due to global warming it will be the sidewalk/pavement.

See "Splendid Apocalypse"

https://www.amazon.com/Splendid-Apo...othy+J.+gawne&qid=1560885658&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Active Ingredients: Cybertanks, Bioweapons, Evil Fascist Governments, Warrior Librarians, Worshippers of An Unthinkable Horror from Another Dimension, Aliens, Recycling Centers, Museum Curators. Approximately 94,000 words by volume (contents may have settled during shipment). The USDA has determined that this book provides 240% of the annual recommended adult requirement for cybertank adventure stories.

Also:

"Neoliberal Economists must die!"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HK3KLDQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I should have known someone would already be doing it! ROFL!

My workplace use em and be very careful. They explode! Heat it up with low heat for 20mins with a stainless steel bowl over it!

Latest posts

Back