Grocery prices are super high these days.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ethics in pharma does exist but with public companies the pressure to 'increase shareholder value' is ever present and leads to silly things.
There will always be bad operators in every industry. Here are two of the most high profile ones in Pharma and Med Devices but certainly not alone.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/19/1100019063/pharma-bro-martin-shkreli-been-released-from-prison

https://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-founder-ceo-elizabeth-holmes-life-story-bio-2018-4

There will always be bad operators in every industry. Here are two of the most high profile ones in Pharma and Med Devices but certainly not alone.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/19/1100019063/pharma-bro-martin-shkreli-been-released-from-prison

https://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-founder-ceo-elizabeth-holmes-life-story-bio-2018-4
hahahaha yeah the stunt Skreli thought to get away with was as ridiculous as that other piece of work you refer to....but without those with criminal intent there is a large contingent what I call 'white collar criminals'

To inflation; the basic principle is indeed demand and supply and that is not going to change, I get that companies are no philantropic institutes and need to make money yet what I have an issue with is the folks that manipulate the market principles for a quick gain.

Far many things we have the luxury that we can vote with our wallets, for some not so.
Farmers markets, direct to consumer from the farm, I favor those pathways over grocery stores.
Paying about the same knowing that the farmer can get a decent income while I get better quality products.

dang..I get bummed buying food. I try to cut corners. I have reduced my coffee-store shopping down 95%. buying a cup of Joe, from a Barista is a rare treat.

I have cut back on eating meat. but even Veggies are wildly expensive.

granted my nearest neighborhood grocery store is on the Boojie side of things. I just bought the veggies for Corned beef sides, a package of tortillas and a Coffee for $25. hahaha..

thankfully I walked to the store!! saved me gas.

you all seeing high prices? noticeably?
Not only high prices, I am seeing very poor quality produce. I am a personal plant based chef and I have had to up my prices considerably and having to spend more time picking through produce. Seems to be across the board with most stores I visit.

I told my wife the knives I buy keep me more interested in cooking at home and we save so much from not going out for food which totally justifies my knife spending. Not sure if this is causation or correlation, but she bought it!
Works for me, the more we cook at home, the more money we save, and its way heathier.

Grocery store prices are brutal, why I laugh when people talk about how inflation is over. Maybe the rate of inflation increasing has leveled out, but the prices aren’t returning to normal and that’s the issue. No average person cares about things getting expensive more quickly, they care about them getting more expensive.

Prepandemic, used to spend 100-150 per week for two people, at a variety of stores.

Now, it’s 200-250 per week, mostly from shopping sales or sticking to ALDIs. Diet is barely changed.

Eggs are a great example. During the avian flu out break they went up to 7-8/dozen in the area. After the flu they dropped briefly back to 1.50/dozen. Now they’re “cheap” at 2.50-3/dozen. Prepandemic, as in start of 2020 not 2005, they were 0.79/dozen. Things haven’t improved for the farmers, employees are paid maybe 10-20% more since then, and fuel costs aren’t 3x what they were at that time.

Grocery store prices are brutal, why I laugh when people talk about how inflation is over. Maybe the rate of inflation increasing has leveled out, but the prices aren’t returning to normal and that’s the issue.

Fwiw, they say that because inflation is by definition the rate of increase of prices. But I hear you that it’s hard that prices are higher, since for some people wages haven’t quite caught up yet. Probably many prices will never return to what we thought of as “normal” right before the pandemic, but hopefully wages will increase too. Eggs are never going to be $.80/dozen like they were in 1980, but I think the inflation adjusted price then was the same as it is now.

Last edited:
I can still hear my grandpa complaining about inflation, he was saying that a loaf of bread used to cost 25 Cts...when we asked what his salary was at that point in time he drew a blank.

Last edited:
The big issue is that inflation is cumulative, so even though inflation has dropped to a more normal range, it still adds up to an increase of 22% over the last 4 years according to: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/food-inflation-in-the-united-states/

1710168447427.png

Some prices actually have returned here... butter might not have gone back to where it used to 5 years ago but it went down a lot (even in supermarkets!). It's almost hard to blame supermarkets for not dropping prices though, because in the cases where they actually do nobody seems to notice. It was the same with energy prices here... people tend to take selective notice.

And if you think the current inflation on food is bad... just wait until you elect someone into power who seems to have no problem sacrificing one of the major grain exporters in the world to a terrorist group, and seems intent on sabotaging the security situation of Europe - the largest food exporter in the world.

To think that pricing will ever return to how it was a few years ago is a delusional pipedream. Globalisation may not be entirely death, but it's certainly taken a backseat. The cake of peace dividend has ran out...

The big issue is that inflation is cumulative, so even though inflation has dropped to a more normal range, it still adds up to an increase of 22% over the last 4 years according to: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/food-inflation-in-the-united-states/

View attachment 307122

I don’t think that’s the problem. If all prices and all wages/salaries are 22% more than they used to be, the world works just as it used to, except that people have to get used to seeing higher prices. Inflation (the rate of increase of prices) can be harmful if it’s too high: for instance

1) some people’s salaries/wages are set only intermittently, so if there’s high inflation in between the person will be worse off until they get the next pay increase.

2) some people have fixed interest loans or money that’s not involved in the market somehow and inflation affects that, I guess.

3) it’s probably destabilizing for businesses if inflation is fluctuating a lot.

4) There's probably some complicated stuff relating inflation in one country vs inflation in another vs currency conversion rates and buying power etc... and how that influences prices overall. I don't know. Most of this post is above my pay grade.

But if all inflation were bad, the Fed wouldn’t have 2% inflation set as their goal.

Last edited:
Some prices actually have returned here... butter might not have gone back to where it used to 5 years ago but it went down a lot (even in supermarkets!). It's almost hard to blame supermarkets for not dropping prices though, because in the cases where they actually do nobody seems to notice. It was the same with energy prices here... people tend to take selective notice.

And if you think the current inflation on food is bad... just wait until you elect someone into power who seems to have no problem sacrificing one of the major grain exporters in the world to a terrorist group, and seems intent on sabotaging the security situation of Europe - the largest food exporter in the world.

To think that pricing will ever return to how it was a few years ago is a delusional pipedream. Globalisation may not be entirely death, but it's certainly taken a backseat. The cake of peace dividend has ran out...
As an old fart, I experienced 18% inflation in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. Mortgage rates were at 15% for awhile. Some historical perspective for what it’s worth.

I don’t think that’s the problem. If all prices and all wages/salaries are 22% more than they used to be, the world works just as it used to, except that people have to get used to seeing higher prices. Inflation (the rate of increase of prices) can be harmful if it’s too high: for instance

1) some people’s salaries/wages are set only intermittently, so if there’s high inflation in between the person will be worse off until they get the next pay increase.

2) some people have fixed interest loans or money that’s not involved in the market somehow and inflation affects that, I guess.

3) it’s probably destabilizing for businesses if inflation is fluctuating a lot.

4) There's probably some complicated stuff relating inflation in one country vs inflation in another vs currency conversion rates and buying power etc... and how that influences prices overall. I don't know. Most of this post is above my pay grade.

But if all inflation were bad, the Fed wouldn’t have 2% inflation set as their goal.
The goal of 2% inflation is because deflation tends to cause a vicious cycle that tends to do the economy no favors. If money becomes worth more over time there's an incentive to postpone consumption.

For me-and granted I'm not an economist- an economic system based on a concept of limitless "growth" is an obvious global culprit. There are finite people and resources in the world. Growth doesn't occur in a vacuum, in order to grow your economy/wealth/resource pool, the economy/wealth/resource pool of some nation/group/person somewhere has to shrink. It's not really growth, therefore, so much as a redistribution of inequalities.

I will say that out of all the places I've lived, France does seem to do the best job of regulating its basic necessities (with Scotland coming a respectable second). Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't problems or that people don't complain, but all in all, you get the sense that people here understand that when it comes to basic needs, rights, and freedoms, what's bad for one person is bad for everyone. The most effective tool for combating systemic injustices and inequalities is the collective.

Fwiw, they say that because inflation is by definition the rate of increase of prices. But I hear you that it’s hard that prices are higher, since for some people wages haven’t quite caught up yet. Probably many prices will never return to what we thought of as “normal” right before the pandemic, but hopefully wages will increase too. Eggs are never going to be $.80/dozen like they were in 1980, but I think the inflation adjusted price then was the same as it is now.

Yeah I spend too much time listening to marketplace, so I tend to hear economists prattling on about the exact meaning of inflation quite a bit. To the shows credit, they do recognize that the technical definition of inflation is meaningless to the layperson because the every man cares about what they’re paying in the moment, not what they might be paying next year.

I just plugged the numbers into an inflation adjuster, the price I was paying for eggs at the start of 2020 (0.79 cents/dozen) would be between 0.94-0.96/dozen now. I’m seeing nearly triple that on average, at the same store.

ALDIs tends to the highest paying grocer in my area, salaries were around 13-14/hr in 2020 at my local store, which would be worth something like 16.71 today. The same store now pays 18/hr. An increase for sure, but only about 8% in 4 years which is below inflation.

ALDIs tends to the highest paying grocer in my area, salaries were around 13-14/hr in 2020 at my local store, which would be worth something like 16.71 today. The same store now pays 18/hr. An increase for sure, but only about 8% in 4 years which is below inflation.
Aldi owns Trader Joes and they are renowned for excellent benefits and higher than average pay for the sector. I would be surprised if the same benefits didn't extend to their own name shops. TJ's is the one shop I miss after moving to Germany, which is a little surprising given Aldi is a German company.

As an old fart, I experienced 18% inflation in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. Mortgage rates were at 15% for awhile. Some historical perspective for what it’s worth.
This isn’t really a great comparison specific to home price. Home prices have far outpaced inflation. I remember reading somewhere that if home prices followed inflation since the 70’s, the median home price today would be around $175k versus the $400k+ it actually is.

Grocery store prices are brutal, why I laugh when people talk about how inflation is over. Maybe the rate of inflation increasing has leveled out, but the prices aren’t returning to normal and that’s the issue. No average person cares about things getting expensive more quickly, they care about them getting more expensive.

Prepandemic, used to spend 100-150 per week for two people, at a variety of stores.

Now, it’s 200-250 per week, mostly from shopping sales or sticking to ALDIs. Diet is barely changed.

Eggs are a great example. During the avian flu out break they went up to 7-8/dozen in the area. After the flu they dropped briefly back to 1.50/dozen. Now they’re “cheap” at 2.50-3/dozen. Prepandemic, as in start of 2020 not 2005, they were 0.79/dozen. Things haven’t improved for the farmers, employees are paid maybe 10-20% more since then, and fuel costs aren’t 3x what they were at that time.
Specifically when it comes to the price of eggs:
https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/eggs-us
So you see a small price peak at the start of corona, but that went away quickly as people stopped hoarding and most of agricultural production was unaffected.
But where the prices really blow up is after february 2022.

So again... invasion of Ukraine. They are not only a large grain producer, but also a large producer of eggs. The development of futures prices since has correlated highly with developments on the ground / on the sea. The plot of egg prices correlate highly with major development and turning point in the war.

Usually there's some delay in how long it takes for these price fluctuations to make it to the market and some of it might be mitigated by long-term contracts.

For me-and granted I'm not an economist- an economic system based on a concept of limitless "growth" is an obvious global culprit. There are finite people and resources in the world. Growth doesn't occur in a vacuum, in order to grow your economy/wealth/resource pool, the economy/wealth/resource pool of some nation/group/person somewhere has to shrink. It's not really growth, therefore, so much as a redistribution of inequalities.
Although I don't necessarily disagree with the inherent problems in 'infinite growth', this is why some economies have shifted more towards services, to try and decouple economical production from consumption of resources. Similarly, technological progress can allow increase of production / economical growth without an equal growth in people.

Generally speaking growth doesn't have to be a zero-sum game though, and as a whole I think people on average are probably better off today in most places than they were a few decades ago. It might just not be as obvious in a place like the US that's already been a highly developed nation for a long time.

Anyone having trouble GETTING eggs at their local Costco? I went on two different days last week and there was zero eggs. Nada.

This isn’t really a great comparison specific to home price. Home prices have far outpaced inflation. I remember reading somewhere that if home prices followed inflation since the 70’s, the median home price today would be around $175k versus the $400k+ it actually is.
Sometimes I wonder how much would be left of true economical growth once you strip out all this artificial 'economical growth' from rising real estate prices. I bet someone did the math somewhere, but I can imagine it shows rather dissapointing numbers.

So you see a small price peak at the start of corona, but that went away quickly as people stopped hoarding and most of agricultural production was unaffected.

So again... invasion of Ukraine. They are not only a large grain producer, but also a large producer of eggs. The development of futures prices since has correlated highly with developments on the ground / on the sea. The plot of egg prices correlate highly with major development and turning point in the war.
I think egg prices sky rocketed due to rises in energy and feed costs rather than a downturn in Ukraine's egg production per se.

Yeah, when the supply of basic foodstuffs and input grains gets interrupted everything spirals, both for consumers and producers. Feed costs for animals are crazy and major reason, alongside normal farming costs, for meat prices. I worked on an organic livestock farm and the cost difference between our 100% grassfed cattle and our grain-fed pastured pigs and chickens was insane. It was cheaper for us to convert land and invest in infrastructure to grow our own feed, which certainly isn't possible for many small farmers. There's a reason big meat corporations such as Tyson, etc, control much of the entire vertical of their business, everything from feed, to hatcheries, to farms, to abattoir, to packaging and distribution. Finding small or medium sized abattoirs in the US is a particularly hard thing to do. We took our cattle from NC to Kentucky, Florida, and Pennsylvania because we needed a USDA inspected facility and those were the closest ones that took on work from farms of our size.
I think egg prices sky rocketed due to rises in energy and feed costs rather than a downturn in Ukraine's egg production per se.

Usually there's some delay in how long it takes for these price fluctuations to make it to the market and some of it might be mitigated by long-term contracts.

Although I don't necessarily disagree with the inherent problems in 'infinite growth', this is why some economies have shifted more towards services, to try and decouple economical production from consumption of resources. Similarly, technological progress can allow increase of production / economical growth without an equal growth in people.

Generally speaking growth doesn't have to be a zero-sum game though, and as a whole I think people on average are probably better off today in most places than they were a few decades ago. It might just not be as obvious in a place like the US that's already been a highly developed nation for a long time.
Outside of the states that makes sense, in the US most of our chicken feed is actually corn and soy meal both of which are produced domestically. Our feed prices are up a little over 30% from 2020 prices, adjusted. We’re actually cheaper for feed prices than we were after prices settled back from the avian flu, when they returned closed to 2020 numbers, but prices haven’t followed suit so they don’t seem to track feed or fuel rates very closely.

I've pivoted to buying a lot more in loose bulk (flours, sugars, etc) using reusable containers. I'm lucky enough that I have several bulk retailers around me, so i've been putting together a spreadsheet so I can save as much as possible by always going to the most affordable location. Apart from that, I've built connections with my local butcher, fishmonger, and produce stores so I get better deals.

Not to say that this approach can be replicated easily, as it's heavily location dependent, but getting embedded in my local community for food has helped to save me a decent amount.

I also use flyers and if something is non-perishable and goes on sale, i'll buy a ****-load of it. I have like 15 lb of butter in my freezer right now because it dropped to less than $5 a couple weeks back, and about 5l of distilled vinegar and canola oil sitting in a storage cabinet.

It's a bit of both. Of course they're not the only producer, but when you have uncertainty around a significant chunk of production of both eggs itself and the fodder it still ends up in the prices one way or another. Price increases often have a lot more to do with insecurity in the market than with actual scarcity (you saw the same problem on the European energy market in 2022). So prices start going up when potential problems are on the horizon whether the worst case scenario comes to pass or not.
Hence also why the developmens of the war in the Black sea had a pretty direct effect on commodity prices for products where UA is a big exporter (grains and for example eggs).
Outside of the states that makes sense, in the US most of our chicken feed is actually corn and soy meal both of which are produced domestically. Our feed prices are up a little over 30% from 2020 prices, adjusted. We’re actually cheaper for feed prices than we were after prices settled back from the avian flu, when they returned closed to 2020 numbers, but prices haven’t followed suit so they don’t seem to track feed or fuel rates very closely.
The graph doesn't lie though if you look at the timing. In the end things like eggs (and also corn, soyu, etc) are simple commodities traded globally so any disruption in supply elsewhere will eventually create a waterbed effect that filters through, even if only because US producers can suddenly sell their eggs or soy for more money elsewhere.

Another event that probably had some effect on global egg prices is we're still struggling somewhat with avian flu outbreaks in Europe.

Consumer pricing will usually trickle down with a significant delay... although supermarkets will probably make sure the delay is far longer when prices go down than when they go up. ;)

Also, wild speculation, but it's quite possible that supermarkets have taken this occasions to shift their margins around. If you traditionally take your biggest margins on meat and more people are becoming vegetarian, it can make sense to try and recoup some of that lost profit on what's likely to be one of the main alternative proteins for people shifting their diet.

Last edited:
True that. But inflation then included goods and services as well, of course.

Housing is THE great challenge right now IMHO.

Back