GS2000 vs HAP40 Sukenari

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Bellomo

Reaction score
I've had a Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto 240mm for almost 2 years, but just bought a Shapton GlassStone HR Series 2000 grit to replace an old Shapton 1000 pro. The knife is not very dull, but I wanted to try my new stone, and it probably isn't ready for my Shapton 4000 pro (next stone up). So far, after going over one side twice, I don't feel any burr. I thought this was supposed to be a fast stone.

Do I just need more passes to develop a burr? Or with this combination of knife and stone, should I just move on to the next grit after a few passes?

I've had a Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto 240mm for almost 2 years, but just bought a Shapton GlassStone HR Series 2000 grit to replace an old Shapton 1000 pro. The knife is not very dull, but I wanted to try my new stone, and it probably isn't ready for my Shapton 4000 pro (next stone up). So far, after going over one side twice, I don't feel any burr. I thought this was supposed to be a fast stone.

Do I just need more passes to develop a burr? Or with this combination of knife and stone, should I just move on to the next grit after a few passes?
Have you lapped the stone? The outer layer when new kind of sucks.

Have you lapped the stone? The outer layer when new kind of sucks.
I did not. This was the problem. A few more passes with the knife and it is cutting (relatively) fast

Last edited:
It's also a very wear resistant steel.
After 2 years of sharpening, I know this. My question is why seems to be taking longer than the 4000 grit pro, and no where near as fast as the 1000 grit pro. If I just need to keep at it, I will.

Back