Gude bread knife any good?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeCook

Reaction score
Normally I wouldn't consider it - too expensive. But lehmans.com has the 12.5" alpha bread knife with the black handle discounted to $130 and with the 30%off sitewide coupon that brings it down to $91 which is tempting, within Mac Superior price range. Coupon ends the 13th so I have only two days to decide. Is Gude worth the hype? Is the synthetic handle crap versus the olive/pear/etc wood handles? What about cutting capability on different style loaves, and edge retention and ease of sharpening? I am considering getting a spyderco sharpmaker for serrated knives. Any help appreciated. TIA.

I don't have one, but I know people love them and that sounds like a good deal. It is also a prime candidate for rehandling down the road :) Btw, I like how Gude talks about that knife as a 'bread saw'.

k.

Don't own one either ...only thing I can say: those members on the german knife board who do like to call them "bread swords" due to their size.

Gude is the Mother of all bread knives.

I own the 330 and the 210. 330 came with Olive handle, just under 200 from Europe. Got a good deal on the 210, it came with stock handle and it was re-done. Very nice now.

I may lay in another based on your post.

That is an excellent price for the knife. I am a fan, so it's a no-brainer for me. And if you do not like it - which is unlikely - I am sure somebody will take it off your hand for that price. If I were in buying mode, I would seriously consider a second one. They also make nice rehandling projects and do look good in koa :)

Stefan

Damn, now y'all have me thinking about it. How does it compare cutting wise to the Mac Superior?

Be well,
Mikey

Damn, now y'all have me thinking about it. How does it compare cutting wise to the Mac Superior?

Be well,
Mikey

Mikey, for us they are multi-taskers, they also work with pineapples ;)

Stefan

I'm only seeing a 20% coupon, not a 30%. I'm on their home page, is the 30% coupon somewhere else?

I've the 330mm one w/olive handle. It's a beast and one knife I will never sell...EVER!!!

I've the 330mm one w/olive handle. It's a beast and one knife I will never sell...EVER!!!

OK then, guess I'm sold then:D. Why not, I seem to be buying every other thing I see lately.

Be well,
Mikey

Have been considering one for a long while, this may just force me into buying one.

Ok, looks like I'll be doing my first western rehandle:D

Mahalo for the info HomeCook,
Mikey

Latest posts

Back