Gyuto 240-270

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cutting edge is part of the central core, in this case carbon.
The two outer sides of the knife are stainless.
This helps with maintenance as only the very bottom of the knife, the edge, is liable to rust if mistreated.

So is the edge stainless steel or carbon? And if only the core (not the edge as well) is carbon what does that do for the knife?

Thanks for all the info.
I'm waiting for reply from K&S about Tanaka and I will decide then.

Given the various parameters you describe, I'd recommend for you a knife like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221565546295

This OEM knife is sold under various different brands...I have one from the western handle hammered damascus VG-10 version, and it's a pretty solid knife for the money.

If you had double the budget, I'd be pointing you towards a Takamura Hana :p

Richard could you point me to a Takamura Hana knife just so I have an idea what you are talking about :)

Yes I mistakenly thought it went up to at least a 240, shame that it doesn't.

There is an Australian shop that sells them, with locations in both Sydney and Melbourne, so it might be worth checking out in person just to get a feel for some current knives...

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/collections/takamura-octagon

They do carry the Takamura Pro up to 240 (actually in Japan you can even get up to 300 I think), but that one is western handle and not damascus.

http://www.chefsarmoury.com/pages/takamura-knives

BTW it would be cheaper to buy the Takamura than fly to Sydney/Melbourne to check them out :)

So it looks like K&S has Tanaka blades in stock just the not the handles :) but they said they might be able to put something non standard on it

That is a terrific kinfe! :doublethumbsup:
It would be great to hear how you like it when it arrives.

I should add to my symmetry photo above, that using a ruler to inspect the blade from spine to edge all the way from heel to tip suggests that it is a more or less symmetrical grind.

This does not seem to negatively affect cutting performance, I have been entirely satisfied with that!

Hmm, on mine the bevel starts about twice as high on the right side as on the left, thought he choil looks to go the other way.

Hmm, on mine the bevel starts about twice as high on the right side as on the left, thought he choil looks to go the other way.

I had another look at mine and - on both sides - the convexing begins immediately at the spine and works its way down to the edge.

That is, there are no flat nor concave sections; everything is convexed.

So it's a straightforward entirely-convexed grind (I don't know the technical term for that).

So I got the knife :) Now it looks like I will also need a saya or some other blade guard for it . Does anyone have any suggestions?

So I haven't yet used the knife much but few things I found so far:
-feels light but well balanced and thus when cutting you actually feel like it is heavy
-very nice damascus pattern
-sharp
-handle fits well in hand

When I have more experience with it I will post more but if anyone has any questions fire away.

Here are few pictures

AF1QipPvXNyfi3GxZba96itTJ_M0xa2hOrGtjv4SwsOp

AF1QipNR_ptq5ADmvIHuK-OJtVHU53bcuQU37eROaBIc

AF1QipPcLeKwZx79dPR1yjecgUwXDPn2Eg0VF2Ax9QT9

AF1QipPRMetP00hEOXiUEca0k53TOMiYiqIaVnIHDOiZ

AF1QipNWiVrMyBnOM5wkLiJJbY0ognXzuQ5zAvIY1Oxl

AF1QipNwxAt9bvJJkxUGwyOxcwM9_DC01g4ufmyHLmp9
AF1QipNjHcqsczVvZ05rIL8qBRv93-N74pVdQMcdxzBr

That's sweet. The profile looks sooo good. Actually it looks exactly the same as my Shiro Kamo Migaki. I love everything about the knife, but that profile just seals the deal for me. It's the one specific thing I love most about it.

Shiro Kamo + R2 is a combination that really is tickling my senses. :doublethumbsup:
I've got four or five knives on my hit list and this is definitely one of them.

So little time and so many lovely, shiny, sharp objects! :dazed:

Latest posts

Back