Gyuto for newbie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By modern steel you didn't mean vg10 or sg2 ?, because my Shun vg10 chipped a lot (my wife hehe)
Don't have any experience with steels only from reading and all pointed that white#2 holds edge less and is more reactive, blue#2 could be a problem for my wife thats way I don't want to spend a lot.
But I'm open for stainless steel but J handle no western.

-The difference in edge retention between white steel and blue steel is miniscule.

-Japanese knives are alot harder than euro knives, which means they have less shock absorption, so they are in fact going to chip easier than softer steels if you abuse them. Youre mistaken if your reasoning for wanting a harder steel is so your wife can get away with abusing it more.

-Dont underestimate the pain-in-the-ass of having to wipe your blade after every time you cut something, which is what you will be doing with white and blue steels

- Not every knife of the same steel is created equal, it matters more about the skill of the craftsman than the type of steel they used

- Shuns in general are POS

- You can find plenty of stainless in wa handle

G3 is stainless, i believe. Its practically brand new, ive only used it for a few minutes a couple times.

G3 is ginsan 3 or ginsanko 3. Made by Hitaci. It's a fully stain resistant steel at 14-15% Cr. Like VG10, it has about 1% C, but no Mo, V or Co. It's supposed to be easier to sharpen than VG10 (I only say supposed to be because I've actually never sharpened either steel myself), but this will depend to a significant extent on the maker.

It's thought of as a high quality stainless.

Thx again just lately short of time but now have even more question.

I'm back, focused on my new toy, well about year ago bought house and just renovated so that took all my attention and $$$.
Now, I want to get to what will bring some? I think more then some happiness in the brand new kitchen- nice Japanese knives.

Totaly ready to pull a trigger and go for
- modern stainless steel (have to eliminate others steel because my wife)
- J wa right handle, Western handle is on the table too
- balanced in middle
- gyuto 210mm most universal can be with enough flat edge
- petty 120- 150mm
Hope you will share with me your knowledge and help me narrowed search point.
Very important for me is esthetic of knives finishes.

Last edited:
The JCK Deep Impact is by far my favourite 210mm. Aogami Super with a stainless cladding. Once a patina got installed — which happens almost instantly — it's very stable and does not require more attention than a stainless. Wipe the edge after use, as you should do with any knife.
The core is very hard, but has no trace of brittleness. Very thin behind the edge. With a conservative edge, the best edge retention I've seen so far, even under particularly harsh circumstances — crappy poly boards in a welfare kitchen.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/jck-natures-deep-impact-series-gyuto-180mm-to-240mm-3-sizes

Just memorized that I was looking for Tanaka's but finish wasn't there and to me hat also important s the performance, does Ginsan is "Hitachi steel"?. I have no problem to close in upper $200 but don't want to force since ame time I'm planning to get Petty and here I'm open for suggestion as well.

I'll start a new thread is Tanaka Ginsan 210mm Gyuto ($250) great japanese Gyuto choice to start collection?.
I know is silly question but will get more opinion and other offers.

I like blade profile and finaly finish is there, just still not sure if 210mm or 240mm, so far my wife is using Shun 8".

Guys, where to get from cutting boards, but not to expensive since I want 3 in different sizes and let go my old ones.

Back