Hand Feel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me he's saying the feel of the stone when sharpening, AKA feel and feedback.

BTW, he sharpens at pretty steep angle, looks like 35 deg (or more) per side!

I thought that he was talking about the tactile feedback but had also used that term, so all bets are off.

I noticed too, if you read some of the other comments you can see that he gets criticized a lot (one of the reasons i ended up on the page)

From what I saw of his vid, hand-feel is more of a generic term for like creamy vs gritty (or whatever the opposite would be). Feedback IMHO is more about the edge and understanding what the stone is doing to it. Both get discussed in the vids but they didn't immediatly seem like synonyms or two words for the same idea...although i could be mistaken.

From what I saw of his vis, hand-feel is more of a generic term for like creamy vs gritty (or whatever the opposite would be). Feedback IMHO is more about the edge and understanding what the stone is doing to it. Both get discussed in the vids but they didn't immediatly seem like synonyms or two words for the same idea...although i could be mistaken.

I agree with this, both in your description and how he seems to use it. To me feedback is knowing where the edge is and the triggers that tell you that, whereas feel is just that, what the stone feels like in use. Gritty/gravelly/sandy/chalky/creamy/slick or glassy etc. However, I normally talk about the two together, lol.

yes, the first stroke.. but after that no stroke is the same as the previous one.
His "backstrokes" look weird in its position.

Do the strokes create enough slurry? Or is it a quick splash and go?

I'll see myself out.

It depends on the video. He goes very shallow in others. I can tell because has a few Tojiros and cheap Wusthofs where he's marred the face of the blade on both sides. But he's extra careful with the "expensive" knives.

yes, the first stroke.. but after that no stroke is the same to the previous one.
His "backstrokes" look weird in its position.

His techniques are slow. He needs to put a lot of time and effort into sharpening each and every knife. The angle of the strokes are inconsistent. But he does get the knives reasonably sharp at the end. I'd love to examine the edge on his knives.

these social medias make us do crazy things 😂

He's doing something right. Vendors are showering him with knives and stones. He has more stuff than he knows what to do with it. Thats always a good problem to have.

He's doing something right. Vendors are showering him with knives and stones. He has more stuff than he knows what to do with it. Thats always a good problem to have.

Any vendor worth their weight in salt is going to see his videos and say something along the lines of "no thanks." Its a bunch of small vendors that sell through amazon that give him stuff anyways. and from what i seen its almost all the VG10 stuff that they try and sell in mass. Ok, Ok hes got some KS's, but to him they are the grail of all grails, which to me* they are not, more of a budget/good value vs performance knife then a "GRAIL"

Not to mention the HOURS prepping studio, shooting and editing etc. For what? Some $40 stone? Hes famous more because the ASMR value. This is that perfect watered down sh*t to get more people into knives. What I find funny is that he has not found this website and other forums to read up about this stuff.

Production quality over content. His videos are flashy but lack just about everything else.

in the entertainment biz social skills trump technical accuracy
(I wouldn't over-trivialize that aspect)

Any vendor worth their weight in salt is going to see his videos and say something along the lines of "no thanks." Its a bunch of small vendors that sell through amazon that give him stuff anyways. and from what i seen its almost all the VG10 stuff that they try and sell in mass. Ok, Ok hes got some KS's, but to him they are the grail of all grails, which to me* they are not, more of a budget/good value vs performance knife then a "GRAIL"

Not to mention the HOURS prepping studio, shooting and editing etc. For what? Some $40 stone? Hes famous more because the ASMR value. This is that perfect watered down sh*t to get more people into knives. What I find funny is that he has not found this website and other forums to read up about this stuff.

Actually I have watched a few of his videos and he does mention the "dreaded forums". They were earlier videos on his first channel, iirc. Apparently he was not a fan...:lol2:

in the entertainment biz social skills trump technical accuracy
(I wouldn't over-trivialize that aspect)

I don't disagree but I think his social skills are catered to people that aren't at the same level of knife appreciation that we are.

Once, a while ago - I made a comment on this board about cutting rope/wood VS food and will NOT make that mistake again.

Lars

Production quality over content. His videos are flashy but lack just about everything else.

This is essentially what his channel is all about.

I can’t stand to watch it, it’s monotonous and boring.

He also doesn’t take critique well, especially when he’s wrong.

His stone reviews seem to be in line with conventional wisdom,
so I think there's less trash talk to be aimed on that front.

The crap on knives is stupid and I don't know why he's wasting time on that
other than people started sending him boxes of junk.

Back