Hand-Rubbed Finish

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found this place online. northeast automotive paint, 3631 Boston Road, Bronx, NY
(718) 519-1414 () ‎ · autopaint18.com and this place is closer but no mention of norton products. "Albert Kemperle Auto Body Supplies, 331 North Main Street, Port Chester, NY
(914) 305-4594 () ‎

found this place online. northeast automotive paint, 3631 Boston Road, Bronx, NY
(718) 519-1414 () ‎ · autopaint18.com and this place is closer but no mention of norton products. "Albert Kemperle Auto Body Supplies, 331 North Main Street, Port Chester, NY
(914) 305-4594 () ‎

Wow, Bill -
northeast automotive paint should be within miles from me.
Thanks

I don't know how you guys are getting such a good finish off a belt. I can't get gator belts here, but have the trizact 3m ones in a45/130 and a16. They don't seem to cut for very long and i've pretty much given up going beyond 180gt ceramic on a belt. I do my first cut against the grain with a 180gt edm stone, then 180gt abrasive, 320 then 600. If i've made a good job of getting the initial scratches out at 180gt, its all good from there. If damascus I etch and polish the highs with 1500 or 2000gt micro-mesh. I use the rolls of hermes super abrasive, they are good. I find old ceramic belts ripped up great for hand rubbing too, and it feels good making the most use of them.

Bill, IMO, the 280 grit Black Ice may be the best of the bunch. Burt Foster told me to buy that stuff. Sometimes he uses it for a final finish on some of his knives. I have no idea why it should be better even than the other higher grits of Black Ice, but it just seems like it is. Cuts FAST and very clean.
exactly what I was going to say. Also I use spra way glass cleaner.

I use the Black Ice paper for all my hand finishing. They make it up to 2000 grit. spa-way glass and surface cleaner for lube. I can finish a blade to 2000 grit with less than a sheet of each grit. It s by far the best paper I have used.

For a nice satin finish, what grits of Norton Black Ice would you recommend?

I was thinking 280 (I think I stop grinding at 320 equivalent), 400, 600, 800.

M

That is a good start. The look/color of the paper changes at 1000 to a more gray color and it doesn't seem as aggressive as the jet black stuff in the 280-800 range. Still good stuff but maybe not substantially better than other automotive wet=dry paper like its coarser grit brethren appear to be. The black Rhynowet paper from Portugal is very good too. I have also had some sample pieces of Rhynowet's "red" paper and it cuts like a mother too and you can use it on wood and other stuff that might get stained by black paper.
For a nice satin finish, what grits of Norton Black Ice would you recommend?

I was thinking 280 (I think I stop grinding at 320 equivalent), 400, 600, 800.

M

That is a good start. The look/color of the paper changes at 1000 to a more gray color and it doesn't seem as aggressive as the jet black stuff in the 280-800 range. Still good stuff but maybe not substantially better than other automotive wet=dry paper like its coarser grit brethren appear to be. The black Rhynowet paper from Portugal is very good too. I have also had some sample pieces of Rhynowet's "red" paper and it cuts like a mother too and you can use it on wood and other stuff that might get stained by black paper.

A quick question, does it matter if lower grits paper are not Norton Black Ice if you plan on finishing with higher grits of Norton Black Ice (800-1000) ? In other words, do you need to set a foundation with lower grits of Norton Black Ice for a good finish?

I was thinking using 3M (have on hand) in 220, 320 and then go to 600, 800, and maybe 1000 of Black Ice.

M

If I could only buy one grit of Black Ice, it would be the 280 for "heavy lifting". That stuff outperforms any 220 or 320 I have used from other manufacturers by a fair margin.
A quick question, does it matter if lower grits paper are not Norton Black Ice if you plan on finishing with higher grits of Norton Black Ice (800-1000) ? In other words, do you need to set a foundation with lower grits of Norton Black Ice for a good finish?

I was thinking using 3M (have on hand) in 220, 320 and then go to 600, 800, and maybe 1000 of Black Ice.

M

If I could only buy one grit of Black Ice, it would be the 280 for "heavy lifting". That stuff outperforms any 220 or 320 I have used from other manufacturers by a fair margin.

I bought Black Ice in 600, 800 and 1000. I have a good supply of 3M Emperial in 220 and 320. I am wondering lower grits of Black Ice are critical for a good foundation.

M

use the 3m stuff you have for the lower grits there is no sense in throwing it out. Like JM said the black ice out performs the other stuff but as you suggest it is the finish that makes the big difference.

Back