Handles, Conversions, and other Stuff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, the last couple have been some of my favorites, the ironwood and the birch/bog oak....spectacular!

On the blades

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

I have a vintage cleaver collection of about 16 that includes two >30" beef splitters. I was out in the garage cleaning up and realized that I have a Forgecraft cleaver in great condition. Now seeing these pictures makes me want to think about how amazing this knife could look!!!

Here is one for Knerds pay it foward. 8" Forge with Koa & Buckeye a design that I stole from Mike D. I moved the Machi up about 5mm to give a little more clearance, rounded the spine, choil, and just did a quick polish on the blade. Thanks Chris for letting me participate in this.

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

That Forgecraft is very nice. I have an 8" also that I'm cleaning up this weekend. Was going to stick to the original handle since it is in great shape but the rehandles just look so amazing!

Freakin' beautiful Mike. It's hard to believe that's the same knife. Your finishing touches on the blade are almost as impressive as the handle work.
I am impressed by the Forgecraft chef I got from Lefty a while back. They are surprisingly good knives. I use mine almost every day.
This blade was originally donated by Turbochef. I think he might be wanting this baby back now!

I have had these two roughed out blanks sitting around for a while, now I have the chance to use one. Which one do you guy's/girl's prefer for Knerds cleaver PIF?

1-Amboyna/Spalted Maple Burl
2-Dyed Redwood/Buckeye

IMG_3412.jpg

Let's mod this one to accommodate both. Just do some removable rivets that lock and unlock. One day one handle, another handle the next.
They both look great. I guess I'm leaning toward the buckeye.

Mike,
You need to invent some sort of easily changeable handle.
Maybe something with a strong magnet hidden inside.
Have all your handles in a display, then "I feel like the buckeye handle today".
and put it on the knife you are going to use.

If it becomes a big success, ....we're partners........right?

Looks like the Maple wins 5 to 4 votes. I am going to try to have this on the knife tonight. Thanks

Back