Hasegawa Sorrows

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chang

Gay for Gyutos
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_1958.jpeg
IMG_1959.jpeg
IMG_1960.jpeg

Y’all got tips on refinishing hasegawa’s? Or even just cleaning up this god forsaken mold?

And I’ma say it now to clear the air, the pink eraser Hasegawa sells is absolute basura. Me thinks sandpaper and a wooden block works the same, if not better.

Honestly dude with mine being the white one I hit it with bleach and then run it through the dishwasher. Doesn’t remove all the stains but looks a ton better. And I imagine with multiple cycles = better results obviously.

Honestly dude with mine being the white one I hit it with bleach and then run it through the dishwasher. Doesn’t remove all the stains but looks a ton better. And I imagine with multiple cycles = better results obviously.
I don’t have a dishwasher at home or at work.

Sad Homer Simpson GIF

At home I don’t have a dishwasher either I just spray bleach all over it let it sit outside for 30 min then steel scrub+dishsoap. I recommend those rug mats for underneath the cutting board so mold doesn’t fester.

I was going to say that's just like a Scotch scouring pad but I guess if it has a patent it has to offer something different. Currently OOS.

I've never seen one in person, but it appears to be more sanding block than abrasive sponge.
Bleach has worked for me.
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 3.27.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 3.31.11 PM.png

Ya know I got one of those guys thinking it would be the same as the "rubber" board and it seems to have a completely different surface? Much more like a typical poly board? Or am I crazy?
When I was at MTC, I was told that the black was the similar material as the harder brown, as opposed to the softer yellow). I have both the brown and yellow.

I also was surprised that the eraser block is mereley a sander, a stiff brush and some bleach does wonders IMO but with the amount of black mold showing that may not be enough. I'd be inclined to toss it if bleach does not clean that up.

At first, I thought that was a stone and @Chang just has really, really small hands.

Hit it with bleach or cleaning vinegar to kill the mold. Then a sander (orbital, belt, palm, won't matter for this--you can get these at junk stores or a cheapie for $20 in amazon). My guess wold be 120, but you'll want to experiment with grit to see what works best. Then wash it a hundred times to make sure the dust is off.

I worked in a kitchen back when where they had all the white bench boards in the whole kitchen re-surfaced. The guy just ran them through a big surface planer and took off 1/8". They came back like new. It was awesome.

How are the black hasagawa? I have a hasagawa brown PE and a yellow rubber one. Both readily stain. The PE destroys knife edges in short order. I have a black PE Tenryo that is much nicer but lacks the wood core of the hasagawa so it warps in hot water. I was hoping the black hasagawa fixed all these issues but I didn’t want to pickup another edge destroyer.

Soak it with bleach and use some paper towels on it you can dampen with bleach and let soak a long time. Use a Hasegawa cleaning tool and sand it down after using the cleaning side. Sand it and repeat the sequence until it’s better. It looks like it needs a good resurfacing from gouges on it.

At home I don’t have a dishwasher either I just spray bleach all over it let it sit outside for 30 min then steel scrub+dishsoap. I recommend those rug mats for underneath the cutting board so mold doesn’t fester.
Only reason it festered is because of 1) how our pit is set up, there’s a lot of moisture, which is usually fine but then 2) negligence from our shiety dishwasher

Yes, I want to fire him

Yes, he will be fired soon

Yes, I need help finding a new one

Back